Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone report on the construction and road conditions and traffic on I - 95 in SE GA & NE FL between Darien, GA & ST Augustine, FL.

Would avoiding I - 95 be a good idea :?: I'm heading up that way on the Vol soon and some first hand info would be appreciated.

Thanks :!:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
coming through downtown Jacksonville construction has I95 a MESS! After that it's smooth all the way to St Augustine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,836 Posts
Hi Wanderer! What watersE said. Jacksonville is a pain in the neck to get through but there are not many alternatives to where you are headed. Instead of going through the city it may be a little better to take 9A on the east side to go around. You could pick up 9A just south of the city. It would probably be just as fast.
A nice ride from St Augustine along the beach would be A1A to Atlantic Beach where it dead ends at Atlantic Blvd. Turn left on Atlantic Blvd. and go about 10 miles to 9A. Use that nifty navigation system if it fits on your bike although the directions are pretty easy.
Let me know when you're coming through.

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bebop said:
Hi Wanderer! What watersE said. Jacksonville is a pain in the neck to get through but there are not many alternatives to where you are headed. Instead of going through the city it may be a little better to take 9A on the east side to go around. You could pick up 9A just south of the city. It would probably be just as fast.
A nice ride from St Augustine along the beach would be A1A to Atlantic Beach where it dead ends at Atlantic Blvd. Turn left on Atlantic Blvd. and go about 10 miles to 9A. Use that nifty navigation system if it fits on your bike although the directions are pretty easy.
Let me know when you're coming through.

Cheers!
I'm riding through Jax on up to Savannah Saturday. I plan to take 9A around the east side of Jax and over the big bridge. Then up I-95. I was wondering how the construction was in SE GA. I know that several long bridges are being worked on and some of the lanes are narrow with no escape area. Throw some gravel and rough surface in there along with the snow birds racing home and the truckers and I'm thinking maybe I'll just go up Highway 301.

Can't stop to be social this time though, we're on a tight schedule. I see that FX4 is coming through the next day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,146 Posts
In a car or on a bike? I try and stay off interstates if at all possible on the bike because of the attitude of drivers. Everyone seems in a hurry to get somewhere. A1A should run right into 301 right?. I took 301 into Hinesville, Ga one trip to see my daughter. Nice ride on bike.


The Wanderer said:
Bebop said:
Hi Wanderer! What watersE said. Jacksonville is a pain in the neck to get through but there are not many alternatives to where you are headed. Instead of going through the city it may be a little better to take 9A on the east side to go around. You could pick up 9A just south of the city. It would probably be just as fast.
A nice ride from St Augustine along the beach would be A1A to Atlantic Beach where it dead ends at Atlantic Blvd. Turn left on Atlantic Blvd. and go about 10 miles to 9A. Use that nifty navigation system if it fits on your bike although the directions are pretty easy.
Let me know when you're coming through.

Cheers!
I'm riding through Jax on up to Savannah Saturday. I plan to take 9A around the east side of Jax and over the big bridge. Then up I-95. I was wondering how the construction was in SE GA. I know that several long bridges are being worked on and some of the lanes are narrow with no escape area. Throw some gravel and rough surface in there along with the snow birds racing home and the truckers and I'm thinking maybe I'll just go up Highway 301.

Can't stop to be social this time though, we're on a tight schedule. I see that FX4 is coming through the next day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,836 Posts
The Wanderer said:
I'm riding through Jax on up to Savannah Saturday. I plan to take 9A around the east side of Jax and over the big bridge. Then up I-95. I was wondering how the construction was in SE GA. I know that several long bridges are being worked on and some of the lanes are narrow with no escape area. Throw some gravel and rough surface in there along with the snow birds racing home and the truckers and I'm thinking maybe I'll just go up Highway 301.

Can't stop to be social this time though, we're on a tight schedule. I see that FX4 is coming through the next day.
If taking 301 be careful going through Waldo. They like to nail you for just the slightest speed over the limit. It's a BAD speed trap. Have a safe ride.

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,929 Posts
I travelled I95 through Georgia last Sunday. Being Sunday, no one was working, so it wasn't bad (other than morons staying in the left lane). The construction sites seems to go on for miles and miles though. Not sure I'd want to travel it while they're actually working.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Air4ceOne said:
I travelled I95 through Georgia last Sunday. Being Sunday, no one was working, so it wasn't bad (other than morons staying in the left lane). The construction sites seems to go on for miles and miles though. Not sure I'd want to travel it while they're actually working.
Thanks.

That's what I heard about that stretch. My plans are to ride that section on a Saturday, late morning or early afternoon. I wonder if they are working Saturday's or not :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,929 Posts
The Wanderer said:
Air4ceOne said:
I travelled I95 through Georgia last Sunday. Being Sunday, no one was working, so it wasn't bad (other than morons staying in the left lane). The construction sites seems to go on for miles and miles though. Not sure I'd want to travel it while they're actually working.
Thanks.

That's what I heard about that stretch. My plans are to ride that section on a Saturday, late morning or early afternoon. I wonder if they are working Saturday's or not :?:
On my way down to Florida the week before, I travelled that way on Saturday afternoon, and nobody was working. Seems like they must have the weekends off.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,921 Posts
+1 on the I95 Florida drivers. they are in waaay too much hurry and drive like it. That part of the drive is more like work than a ride.

The part from flager to daytona is the same. do less than 75 and you will get run down, even by semi's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Gas still isn't expensive enough....everybody in GA drives a hugh SUV at 90 miles an hour :twisted:
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top