Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, completely new to the whole motorcycle world and barely learning about bikes, types, the whole nine. Im hoping to learn alot from this forum and appreciate any info anyone has to offer.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Welcome aboard JustE. You can learn just about anything you want or need to learn about motorcycles and riding here on these boards so, just start browsing all the forums and topics. Have fun and don't hesitate to ask questions but learn to use the "search" option because most of your questions have already been asked and answered here. This is a great bunch of people so get to know 'em.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
soon, fingers crossed. since early November I have been doing alot of reading on motorcycles and motorcycle-related material from pros and cons to which type of motorcycle is suited for me. Since the beginning of this year, i have considered the Honda Rebel, shortly after the Boulevard S40 (I believe its called), and recently the Vstar 950(?) as a starter bike. Ive looked at afew posts on the VStar 950 and like what i am reading for the exception of the floorboards scraping on turns for which i would not mind replacing. Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and I hope to learn alot during my time on this forum.

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

The first thing to learn is how to ride, what to ride can come second. I'd suggest dropping part of that down payment you've been saving up and signing up for the MSF Basic Rider Safety Course. They'll provide a bike and helmet for the course, all you have to do is wear the right clothes and be ready to learn.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan on taking the rider's course next month during the one week break I have from school and already know how much it costs, how long the course lasts, and the closest location for me. I am beyond excited to learn everything about safety that'll make the whole riding experience better. I need to look at acouple of posts about the gear that is needed, any suggestions on where to start?

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
EH! :cool:

<---<<

My buddy has two V-Star 950's, for his wife and self. Never heard him say anything about scrapping boards.
When you become a good enough rider and have the confidence you will hear those guy's talk about scrapping no matter what they ride ........ at least in a cruiser.

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
I plan on taking the rider's course next month during the one week break I have from school and already know how much it costs, how long the course lasts, and the closest location for me. I am beyond excited to learn everything about safety that'll make the whole riding experience better. I need to look at acouple of posts about the gear that is needed, any suggestions on where to start?
Gear is a personal choice, but I would recommend everything you can afford. You're going to want a good jacket, gloves, helmet, and boots.

Helmet is the first thing. I own all types, but I think my preferred is my modular. The shorty is too much wind and exposure for my taste, and like the ability to get the chin guard out of my way quickly and easily.

Next is the jacket. Starting off, I'd recommend looking at textile. They usually have liners and will get you through three seasons without an issue. Leather is nice, but it's expensive for the good stuff and you aren't going to want to wear it in the summer.

Gloves are next on the list. They're cheap, but you're going to need a bunch of different types. I've got fingerless for summer, lightweight for spring and fall, heavyweight for winter, and heated for when it's really f***ing cold!

Next on the list is boots. It's best if you can get real motorcycle boots, they tend to have steel toes and a plate in the sole. However, good motorcycle boots cost some coin. Personally, I wear a pair of work boots I got at Target for a about $40. They're rubber sole and don't have steel toes, so the protection isn't great, but they're far better than tennis shoes.

Last are pants. I'm still trying to find something with good protection that I'll actually wear myself. I own a pair of textile over pants, but I don't like wearing them so they're useless to me. I'm thinking of just getting Kevlar jeans, and have given some thought to just wearing off road armor under my regular jeans.

Check out Cycle Gear for most gear, they've got a good selection and good prices. For anything leather, LeatherUp is a great website.

Not to scare you off from riding, but I read somewhere, and believe it, that you're highest likelihood of going down are in years 1-2 and 5-7. Basically you don't know what you're doing in the first two years so you make rookie mistakes. That's what happened to me, I didn't make it 60 days before totaling out my first bike. In years 5-7 what happens is that you get cocky and start riding like an expert, but your skills still aren't quite there yet.

Basically, my point is that you should gear up to protect yourself when you go down. Most of us have before, and it isn't a big deal if you're geared up. If you ride around in flip flops, shorts, and a tank top, you may not get another go round.

Hopefully this doesn't all freak you out because the risks are definitely worth the reward when it comes to riding. You just need to be honest with yourself.

Hope this all helps, and we look forward to having you around for many years!

:wayhappy:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Welcome from the Pacific Northwest.

A good starter bike is the Suzuki TU250.
It is light weight, low to the ground has a great retro look but is FI which is a great feature for a low priced entry motorcycle. My son-in-law really enjoys his which he uses for daily commutes to work. People are always complimenting the Retro look and he enjoys telling them it's a modern machine with retro looks.
Suzuki TU250 Review | YouMotorcycle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've read acouple of reviews on the V950 and it said something about scraping and the motorcycle I was interested in had some kind of floorboard on. Is it cheaper to buy the gear online or at my local motorcycle dealership(it is called Chaparral?)? I live in San Bernardino, California. The Suzuki TU250 looks nice and all, but I was looking for a motorcycle that can handle maintaining a moderate speed on the freeway for a relatively long time compared to just going to and from school or work. I also wanted a bike that could handle some luggage along with the long distance, which is why I was thinking of the Vstar 950. In response to the likeliness of me going down in my first years, I am aware of it but am still determined to own a bike but really appreciate the warning.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts