Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 232 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Interesting, live and learn, I could have sworn it dims out during start-up. I never really worried about it because I do like having a switch for add-on lights. But apart from that, it shouldn't hurt the system or battery even IF the lights would stay on during start-up, otherwise I'm sure Suzuki would have designed the Options connector differently.

BOB - don't have a wiring diagram here at work, perhaps Dane has one handy. You can probably tap right into the wires in the headlight bucket that go to the headlight connector, just need to know which wire is POS and which wire is NEG since there are 3 wires. The wiring diagram will give the answer as to the color of the correct wires. I'll check it out tonight unless Dane is quicker. Black wire with white stripes is definitely NEG, and I wanna say that the WHITE wire is POS (low beam) and YELLOW is POS (high beam, the one you want to leave alone) without looking :roll:

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I used a pair of diodes from the high and low beam to power my relay, but it was recently pointed out that the Yellow with white trace wire supplies (on 2005) the power to the headlight dimmer switch. So that power is cut during starting lessing load on battery. A lot of the additional lightbar lights are more total current than stock the headlight. Made sense to me to lessen load during cranking just as stock headlight does.

Timewarp said:
C50T2006 said:
If I recall correctly the AUX connector remains powered up during starting. Unlike the headlight. Relay needs to be controlled by the headlight feed to cut power during starting.
That's what I see.. my lightbar is plugged in to the AUX and remains on.
But after reading all that you folks are saying about the IGN switch, I want to wire in the relay...

Since I'm doing all this, I want to fix it so the lightbar is off while the starter is cranking.....

Suggestions for the best place to tap into the headlight feed? is it in the headlight assmbly itself? [if you can be as specific as possible, I'd appreciate it... sometimes I have a hard time visualizing wo pics or diagrams :oops: ]

Thanks for suggestions...
Bob

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
moenko said:
Black wire with white stripes is definitely NEG, and I wanna say that the WHITE wire is POS (low beam) and YELLOW is POS (high beam, the one you want to leave alone) without looking :roll:
Thanks Moenko.
If I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly, the HB is the yellow.
So I need to tap into the white.

Boy, that white wire looks a lot smaller than the black w white stripe...
I'd say the ground [black w white stripe] is a 14, anyone know if the white is a 16?

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
TW, actually my diagram uses the AUX connector, not any wires from the headlight wires, meaning the lights WILL stay on during start-up unless you have a switch in the circuit (as I do in the diagram).

If you want to circumvent the use of a switch, you'd best off talking to C50T2006, he has more experience with tapping the wires feeding the headlight (as I take from his post above) :wink:

Timewarp said:
moenko said:
Black wire with white stripes is definitely NEG, and I wanna say that the WHITE wire is POS (low beam) and YELLOW is POS (high beam, the one you want to leave alone) without looking :roll:
Thanks Moenko.

I'd say the ground [black w white stripe] is a 14, anyone know if the white is a 16?

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Remember if you go this route you describe lightbar will only be on during low beam and not available with high beam. If you use the headlight switch power feed it will/could be on for both high and low beams.

Timewarp said:
moenko said:
Thanks Moenko.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
C50T2006 said:
Remember if you go this route you describe lightbar will only be on during low beam and not available with high beam. If you use the headlight switch power feed it will/could be on for both high and low beams.
Wow, C50T2006 - I'm glad you clarified that.... I was expecting the low beam to always have power. duh...

On the wiring diagram, "headlight switch power feed " looks like it would be yellow with while stripe? where is the best / easiest section to tap into it?

As you can tell, I've no experience with this electrical stuff....so really appreciate help.

Bob

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
The 2005 wiring diagram shows the yellow w/white trace is feed to switch. That would power the relay no matter what beam you were using.

Timewarp said:
C50T2006 said:
Wow, C50T2006 - I'm glad you clarified that.... I was expecting the low beam to always have power. duh...

On the wiring diagram, "headlight switch power feed " looks like it would be yellow with while stripe? where is the best / easiest section to tap into it?

As you can tell, I've no experience with this electrical stuff....so really appreciate help.

Bob

·
Registered
941 Posts
wiring through a relay

I have led lights and Gerbing gloves and a tailight modulator on the Freebird. Ive just purchesd the small driving lights from JC WHitney. Will I still have enough battery to power all of this, if they were all used at the same time, which sometimes, they would be? Thanks you for any help in advance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just wired up my cobra Light bar on monday. I used the Yellow w/white stripe to activate the relay. If you do this the lightbar will shut down on start and be on the rest of the time.

·
Registered
590 Posts
C50T2006 said:

Timewarp said:
moenko said:
Thanks Moenko.

... a few years ago some states actually required the aux lights to go off when you turned on the highbeam ... Virginia was one of them ... it was one of those laws that was "variably enforced" depending on who you got at inspection time ... some dealers would only hook the lightbars up this way ... not sure what other states had (or still have) the same law(s) ... I do remember a few guys commenting on this a few years ago though ... might have been "pre-VR" ... not sure ... probably a good idea if you're running electric clothing ... speaking of which ... I need to do some more re-wiring ... thanks for the tip ...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hi folks,

I just got out of the hospital after three weeks and when I log onto my email, what to I find? the third email was a 'topic reply notification' !!!
I had pulled my bike apart to do this relay for the light bar, the horn, and an outlet when my doc pulled me away. Kinda earie to find this as soon as I'm back... be a bit before I can get out and about to take a look at it....but a question...

JoeDaddy said:
I just wired up my cobra Light bar on monday. I used the Yellow w/white stripe to activate the relay. If you do this the lightbar will shut down on start and be on the rest of the time.
When you say you "used the Yellow w/white stripe to activate", where did you "connect to it? is it in the headlight housing? I hadn't seen it there.

Thanks a bunch.
Bob

·
Registered
590 Posts
Timewarp said:
Hi folks,

I just got out of the hospital after three weeks and when I log onto my email, what to I find? the third email was a 'topic reply notification' !!!
I had pulled my bike apart to do this relay for the light bar, the horn, and an outlet when my doc pulled me away. Kinda earie to find this as soon as I'm back... be a bit before I can get out and about to take a look at it....but a question...

JoeDaddy said:
When you say you "used the Yellow w/white stripe to activate", where did you "connect to it? is it in the headlight housing? I hadn't seen it there.

Thanks a bunch.
Bob
... dude ... glad you are home and reading e-mail and working on the scoot ... three weeks is a pretty long haul for a visit to the hospital ...

Ride Blessed ...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok I've read and re-read this thread over and over (and other similar threads), and I'm still confused. Yea I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical/mechanical.

I have the OEM lightbar on a 07 C50. I've been using the Honda bulbs in it for about 7-8 months. I would like to do the relay mod. I want it so the spotlights go off when I start the bike (like the headlights do).

1) I should use the yellow/white striped wire from the headlights hi/lo switch, correct? What will I connect this to? If its to the relay, then what part of the relay.

2) If I dont install the rocker switch, will the switch on the lightbar become inactive, thus the spots can't be turned off?

Thanks for your patience

Don

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Refering to page one of this thread the yellow white trace will be connected to the terminal 86 of the relay shown , instead of coming off the aux connector.

Switch on lightbar will still be active. You won't need the rocker switch in the diagram.

dwade said:
Ok I've read and re-read this thread over and over (and other similar threads), and I'm still confused. Yea I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical/mechanical.

I have the OEM lightbar on a 07 C50. I've been using the Honda bulbs in it for about 7-8 months. I would like to do the relay mod. I want it so the spotlights go off when I start the bike (like the headlights do).

1) I should use the yellow/white striped wire from the headlights hi/lo switch, correct? What will I connect this to? If its to the relay, then what part of the relay.

2) If I dont install the rocker switch, will the switch on the lightbar become inactive, thus the spots can't be turned off?

Thanks for your patience

Don

·
Registered
145 Posts
moenko said:
TW, actually my diagram uses the AUX connector, not any wires from the headlight wires, meaning the lights WILL stay on during start-up unless you have a switch in the circuit (as I do in the diagram).
Is this bad :?: :?: :?:
I have the OEM light bar currently connected to the AUX harness in the headlight bucket (per Suzuki install instructions). I always leave the switch on so the lights are always ruining when the bike is running. After reading this thread, I want to protect my ignition switch by adding a relay. Can I still wire to the AUX (using a relay) or do I now need to use the "yellow with white stripe" to avoid frying my ignition switch?

I guess my question is: Is having the lights stay on during startup (using AUX) as opposed to going off (using yellow w/white stripe) going to defeat the purpose of the relay. Do I HAVE to use the yellow w/white stripe to avoid frying my ignition switch?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I wired like this:
Yellow-white headlight feed goes to one side of the oem lightbar switch (this wire is dead while starting). Note: do not cut yellow-white wire, just tap it with a scotchloc.
The other side of the oem lightbar switch goes to relay term 86.
Ground goes to relay term 85.
Direct (fused) battery wire goes to relay term 30.
Relay term 87 goes to hot side of lights.
Lights are grounded also to same wire as relay term 85 (or any ground).
so:
If oem lightbar switch is on, lights will be on when key is on unless starting.
ps:
It is also my opinion that relay 30 & 87 are interchangeable, they are inter-connected when the relay is tripped, makes no difference which side the current goes in or out. My relay came with instructions to but the load on 30 rather than 87.

·
Registered
145 Posts
mtmous said:
I wired like this:
Yellow-white headlight feed goes to one side of the oem lightbar switch (this wire is dead while starting). Note: do not cut yellow-white wire, just tap it with a scotchloc.
The other side of the oem lightbar switch goes to relay term 86.
Ground goes to relay term 85.
Direct (fused) battery wire goes to relay term 30.
Relay term 87 goes to hot side of lights.
Lights are grounded also to same wire as relay term 85 (or any ground).
so:
If oem lightbar switch is on, lights will be on when key is on unless starting.
ps:
It is also my opinion that relay 30 & 87 are interchangeable, they are inter-connected when the relay is tripped, makes no difference which side the current goes in or out. My relay came with instructions to but the load on 30 rather than 87.
Thanks mtmous, that really helps. When you say "One side of the lightbar..." and "other side of the lightbar..." does it matter which lightbar wire goes where?

41 - 60 of 232 Posts