Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

221 - 232 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Psyco, midnight;
Thanks but I guess I was not clear on my question. I am concerned with just eliminating the on/off switch by connecting the + and - leads in the auxiliary power in the headlight bucket to 85 and 86 on the relay, leaving everything else in the diagram the same, fuse, relay, etc. We don't have an on/off switch for the main headlight so I am unsure why I would need one on the additional driving lights since my reason for installing them is to increase my daytime visibility.
Good hunting

·
Registered
796 Posts
Blinky you'll be just fine doing it that way cause the main power for the lights is coming through the relay not the ignition switch so you will be fine doing it that way, just to clarify you're using the ignition switch power to trip the 30 amp relay switch which is designed to carry the amperage capacity, the power from the battery through the relay to the lights eliminating the high amp draw through the ignition switch

·
Registered
11 Posts
Relay questions

Next task
I need to do the relay for the driving lights tomorrow and have a few questions

1. 2004 Volusia my headlight does not go out when the bike is starting. So I think I'm going to go thru the headlight bucket aux plug with the relay instead of the dimmer switch.

2. Do I run the power positive and negative wires directly to the battery with a 20amp inline fuse. Or canI go to the 30amp fuse block in front of the battery
My relay says 40amp SPST that's all they had will this be ok?

3 My driving lights only have on wire coming out of both lights. So that makes me believe they are grounded already. So I take my ground from the battery to the relay, what will go to the opposite neg pole if I don't have a ground coming from the lights?

Thanks for your help and looking forward to your answers so I can get back on the road

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I figured it out....
No Switch set-up
85 neg wire from aux
86 pos wire from aux
87 pos wire spliced together from both lights
30 Pos from battery with 20 amp inline fuse

Does this sound correct???

·
Registered
988 Posts
I think I figured it out....
No Switch set-up
85 neg wire from aux
86 pos wire from aux
87 pos wire spliced together from both lights
30 Pos from battery with 20 amp inline fuse

Does this sound correct???
That looks correct and in answer to your other post , your 40amp relay will work fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Okay, my question is (since I break things instead of putting it together or fixing it), how do I find someone who knows how to do all the last 23 pages without screwing my bike up as if I worked on it?
I want a light bar, driving lights, extra lights, etc, etc for safety purposes mostly. But, I am cheap and broke. I found lights at Walmart for about $30 that are exactly the same as lights costing 150 on line. However, someone told me that the lights at Walmart are set up for vehicles and not motorcycles. I sorta buy that but then think that maybe they are wrong. I know that some lights that are LED need to be "converted" through a conversion box or something like that to work on the bike. Then, that's all that I know. I'm just chatting for now and have no idea if I'm being realistic on finding something as cheap as $30 and then paying someone under a $100 to put on my bike. Like I said, I'm broke and cheap. Thank you for posting all of this the last couple of years.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Many thanks to everyone contributing to this thread.

I will be putting in a set of CWI driving lights soon (the set that works with the OEM windshield) using the Kuryakyn driving light relay kit soon. Reading this thread has helped me a LOT in knowing what to do.

Thanks again.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #229

·
Registered
674 Posts
Where did you mount the switch?
Hey chicodog, welcome aboard!
Slide over to the new members section and introduce yourself.
Looks like Peteb posted that question March 2015 and hasn't replied to a post since early June.
You may want to post under the help section to find out where others have mounted their switches.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Hummmmm ... a lot of this and that instead of the easy solution to me.. I had to stop reading. I put in a 4 connection junction .... that I could hook up to 4 things too under the seat.... and it's own 'fuse' ... between it and the battery and used a over the terminal ring and it's hooked direct to the battery . One thing I did is, one is a connection I can connect the GPS to, or hook up the line to my cell to charge it while I'm riding.

221 - 232 of 232 Posts