Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Try using ceramic wool, it is good for very high temps but don't pack it too tightly as it will hamper the accoustic dampening properties.
I have also used nomex and kevlar fiber for sound reduction but you will need to research temp limits.
,Motiv

OK A little confused. Did the fiberglass wrap work the baffle work or did it burn through as other suggested it would. Just install a set of Cobra Slashdowns with the quite baffles and I think it is still too loud and want to quite them a little more. Looking for a long term solution. Help from anyone would be appreciated.

OK A little confused. Did the fiberglass wrap work the baffle work or did it burn through as other suggested it would. Just install a set of Cobra Slashdowns with the quite baffles and I think it is still too loud and want to quite them a little more. Looking for a long term solution. Help from anyone would be appreciated.
First post needs a hearty welcome...Hearty Welcome!!!from Penciltucky

Reactions: scorpion46
UPDATE -
(You can read the last post in here, thought I would give credit where credit is due to all the people in here that posted the solution below would not last long. They were correct and this post is useless, except for those who were thinking about trying it, its doesnt last long.) I did find a a solution that works, it will last, most likely longer then the Cobra pipes and will post it in the coming week, in fact, I love it, saved me from going back to stock pipes and still have the look I wanted, more so on the current V Star, simply because the V Star pipes are bulky. I honestly like the stock C 50 pipes.)

Even though this was for my new bike, I know it came up before with the C 50. This worked out perfect for me! Im amazed at the difference and it only cost $5.00 to try! Anyway, thought I would share it with you.

Well, it's final!
I think I have invented the perfect solution.
As much as I loved the sound of the Cobra Speedsters with the stock baffles, they were a bit to loud.
I since tried the Cobra Quiet Cores, quiet they are not and I dont like the sound, I am returning them.

Here was my solution, I am THRILLED about it.
I installed fiberglass wrap around the original straight through Speedster Baffles that come with the pipes. It was SO SIMPLE it only took minutes and less then $5.00.

1. Went to Lowes Home Improvement store and purchased Frost King Hot and Cold pipe fiberglass insulation from the plumbing department. The Frost king works perfect because it is nice and thin, which you need for the narrow pipes.
2. I Removed the original Cobra (straight through) baffles and wrapped the pipe insulation tightly around the baffle overlapping the insulation by about a half inch for each wrap around the pipe. I needed nothing to hold it in place as I did it.

Here is what I did:
1. Remove one baffle at a time, spray a little WD-40 on the wide part of the baffle, then reinsert the very tip of one end, you will then leave the very end of the tip in the pipe to hold the pipe while wrapping the insulation.

2. Cut a very long (5 foot?) piece of insulation and wrap the Frost King Fiberglass insulation around the pipe nice and tight, overlapping about a half inch each time you wind it around.

3. Once the holes of the baffle are fully wrapped cut off any remaining fiberglass and twist the baffle as you slide it back into the pipe in the direction so it doesn't unwind. I needed nothing to hold it in place since the winding action and tight clearance did that job for me.

4.Your all done! It was sooooo easy, one of those projects I thought would be impossible, turned into something easy.

I started the bike up and WOW. REALLY big difference, NICE deep rumble with just enough sound, for lack of better words, powerful. Took the bike for a ride, can drive in my community without bothering my neighbors, yet is noticeable for sure.
The REALLY cool part is you preserved the open pipe and baffles unrestricted flow, so when you get on the throttle heavy, the exhaust still screams really nice!

I couldnt be more happy, it really worked out well after considering so many other solutions including going back to the stock pipes.
I just recently installed Cobra Dragster Shorts on my 1100 VStar. Way too loud! And Cobra does NOT make a quieter baffle for that particular pipe. So decided to wrap the baffles with a Finreglass Baffle Kit for Motorxycles. I had too split the pack into 1/2 thickness. Yeah maybe a bit quieter but looking for a better solution or going back to stock! Gonna check out this Frost wrap see what it is like. If there are any others solutions out there I’m all ears! Thanks

The solution? Put the OEM pipes back on. Aftermarket pipes on metric bikes just sound BAD.

Reactions: scorpion46
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.