Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a step by step on how to install a LED Flasher relay.

Tools
Zap strap
Wire Cutters
crimps or soldering iron
Heat shrink
Electrical tape
wire
Flasher Relay Gorte # 44891

Step 1

Remove secondary gear case cover ( Left side chrome cover )

Step 2
Locate the turnsinal/side-stand relay. Once you have done this you will need to cut the Brown and the Blue with Brown wire (pins F and G)

Set 3

Connect The harnes side of pin G (brown wire)to the input side of the new relay (i soldered and heat shrunk mine) and then connect the harness side of pin F (blue wire) to the load side of the relay.

Step 4

Ground the pigtail onf the relay to a bolt on the frame, and tie the relay up out of the way.

THis is how the light now work. My LED are on the front fairing that lowered the laod.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Ok just did this on my 04 the wires you need are blue and brown.

Tried the way you posted but didn't work must have change things in certain years.

But still thanks for posting this I was tired of trying to keep up with my blinkers LOL

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol now i look at the pic yes it would be the blue with brown wire. Everyone has helped me out its about time i return the faver.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
i finally decided to quit being lazy and do this since i keep telling everybody else to do it.

but instead of a 3pin electronic flasher, i just got a 2pin electronic flasher. then i just pulled the brown and blue wire out of the plug body, and put a set of spade connectors on and plugged the relay in. whole deal took probably bout 10minutes.

i didn't see the need for going with a 3pin flasher and having to ground the 3rd pin. that's why they make the 2pin flashers. 1 less wire to worry about.

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
wiseguydave said:
PhL0aTeR said:
kick me if i missed it, but what is the point of this mod?
LED's flash at hyper speed with the stock flasher.
im well aware of what LEDs do to flasher circuits, just wanted to make sure thats what was going on.

I had LEDs on the busa, but never cared about the rate of flash, my buddy was a bit more anal about it so we just wired in resistors when we changed out his signals.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By putting in resistors in to the system will draw the same amount of power just insted of the light drawings more you are making the resistor to disipate it in heat. By changing the realy you run at less draw but the same flash rate.

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
chevelle69 said:
By putting in resistors in to the system will draw the same amount of power just insted of the light drawings more you are making the resistor to disipate it in heat. By changing the realy you run at less draw but the same flash rate.
good point, although he just wanted smaller signals, not less power draw

·
Premium Member
23,762 Posts
Having trouble figuring out which blue wire (there are 3 on my C50). Is it the one that is white and blue and heavier gauge than the others......about like the brown wire??

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You need the blue wire that has a brownish band on it. you can also look at the bottem on the stock realy and you will need the wires that go in to pins F and G.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
wiseguydave said:
Having trouble figuring out which blue wire (there are 3 on my C50). Is it the one that is white and blue and heavier gauge than the others......about like the brown wire??
my brown and blue wires where on a 04 vl800. sorry. i was a bit confused to at first, because i had 2 or 3 blue wires, but when i looked at the wiring diagram, i noticed that they were marked differently and paired differently, and then made perfect sense. hopefully somebody else here can send you a pic of your wiring diagram.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks for the info, your bike looks great.
I think leds would a great winter upgrade.
Can i get some info on were you purchase your lights from?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm planing to up grade my rear turn signals to l.e.d's. With this mod will my front stock signals flash at the same rate?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts