Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Thanks!

Is that the only part needed? What is the best grease to use? It seems like people are using Honda.
You'll need the snap ring that holds the drive shaft to the drive unit. With the drive unit off and the shaft still joined, you can push the shaft in towards the drive unit and release the snap ring. This is after you remove the grease seal.

Reactions: 472viper

·
Registered
45 Posts
You'll need the snap ring that holds the drive shaft to the drive unit. With the drive unit off and the shaft still joined, you can push the shaft in towards the drive unit and release the snap ring. This is after you remove the grease seal.
What is the name or part number of that? I can't seem to find it.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Mine is part number 09381-40003

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a hard time loosen the Nut that retains the coupling (27172-38A00), as I was turrning the ratch with the 22mm socket the whole gear case was moving.
The service manual calls out for especial tool to loose this nut, obviously didn't have it. So I want to share the way I used to be able to remove it:

1) Empty the differential oil.
2) Remove the Propeller Drive Shaft as indicated here in this thread
3) Place the Final Gear Case back in the in the rear wheel assembly as show in the picture
4) Remove the top oil fill screw from the Final Gear Case.
5) Place a flat screwdriver, rotate the gear case until it gets lock.
6) Then turn the ratch with 22mm socket to remove the Nut.
7) Follow the instruction to remove the coupling .

I used the same method to tighten the nut after replacing the coupling....... Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
I pulled my 2008 C50 final drive shaft to add some Moly Paste to splines, and gear oil started dripping as soon as I've loosened the three chromed nuts. It looks like I need to replace the oil seal #12 on the diagram below. I've also ordered o-ring #7, shaft circlip (not shown) oil seal that goes around the shaft splines (not shown) and shaft sprint (not shown). Do I also need to order #11 Nut or I could reuse the one currently in place. Picture of the nut below. Many thanks!
Final Drive 2008 C50

Parts ordered so far:

09283-30051 - SEAL, OIL 30X 4
09440-18019 - SPRING

41 - 48 of 48 Posts