Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

61 - 80 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just paid $300 shipping included for a brand new VL 1400 drive.

Got it on ebay and talked the guy into closing the auction. Paid via Paypal and hed it in two days.

Heavy sucker. Aric is machining the shaft for $175. shipped and have decided to remove the fake swing arms for a cleaner look.

Will take install photos and post them here.

However, Oregonlan has already done that and I learned a lot from his advice.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Read a couple of places that green locktite is necessary.

Where exactly is that applied?

Sorry for the newby question, but on this I am a virgin. :D

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
I would presume on any bolt or screw that you use to put attach it to the bike.
I used Blue as it was either that or red I had handy and red is more permanent.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
passenger comfort from this mod?

Hi folks,
Do your passengers notice a difference in comfort after the mod?
Paul

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
sry no fender fluff :(

·
Registered
458 Posts
How much final gear oil is required for the 1400 drive?

Going to have it installed tomorrow Sat Sept 12.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Just pickup 1 container of 75-90 hypoid gear oil. Place the bike upright and fill until the oil level is flush with the bottom of the hole. Cap it and enjoy.

FYIY, 1 bottle will fill your drive 3 - 4 times...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thanks very much. The pucker factor may be going up as I am having the drive installed tomorrow and there is a 70% chance of rain. I have a 30 mile trip back home afer installation. I will be shifting gears rather carefully.

I so do appreciate your timely and helpful advice.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
VL1500 drive = VS1400 drive

Hi,
I saw in one of the posts that the 1500s and the 1400s have the same gear ratio. Does that mean that a VL1500 drive would serve just as well as a VS1400 drive for a Volusia?
thanks

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Re: VL1500 drive = VS1400 drive

paul_mcdowall said:
Hi,
I saw in one of the posts that the 1500s and the 1400s have the same gear ratio. Does that mean that a VL1500 drive would serve just as well as a VS1400 drive for a Volusia?
thanks
Yes. About the only difference is that the 1400 drive uses the same size axle as the 800. The VL1500 uses a slightly larger axle, hence the axle hole in the drive is larger. Have whoever mods your driveshaft make you a bushing to adapt the 1500 axle hole to the 800 axle.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
axle trim?

Thanks 472viper. Does the vl800 axle need to be modified in the same way it is for a VS1400 drive?
Thanks
Paul

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Re: axle trim?

paul_mcdowall said:
Thanks 472viper. Does the vl800 axle need to be modified in the same way it is for a VS1400 drive?
Thanks
Paul
No modification to the axle itself for 1400 or 1500, however an axle spacer (slides over the axle and sets proper spacing between final drive and wheel hub) is critical. Any OEM axle spacer (1400/800 or C50) can be shortened, or a spacer cut from the proper size DOM tubing, cut to correct lenth will work.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
oops

Sorry, I said 'axle' but I meant the drive shaft. (d'uh)
Paul

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Re: oops

paul_mcdowall said:
Paul
The VL800 driveshaft needs modifications as mentioned in this guide. A VS1400 driveshaft would have to be lengthened.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Re: oops

OregonLAN said:
paul_mcdowall said:
Paul
The VL800 driveshaft needs modifications as mentioned in this guide. A VS1400 driveshaft would have to be lengthened.
Correct, a modified C50/VL800 driveshaft will work with a C90/VL1500 or VS1400 drive. 1400 driveshafts have to be lenthened and C90/1500 made shorter. Many people choose to mod the 1500 or 1400 shaft and keep their C50/800 shaft unmolested case they ever want to reinstall the old drive, which only happens when you sell the bike. Or you can try to find another 800 driveshaft and have that modified. Modifying an 800 driveshaft is a little bit simpler process, but both methods require the service of a machine shop, and work equaly well.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
thanks

Thanks Viper.
Cheers
Paul

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
doneup05 said:
Is there anybody that sells them already modified or will do it? Im definately looking to do this to my bike.
If you can find a C90/VL1500 or 1400 drive (preferrably with driveshaft) this guy can do the mod for you.

http://www.hillisfabrication.com/Products/tabid/183/Default.aspx

Obtaining the drive to modify is the hard part.

watch e-bay, they are not cheap, demand has driven up the price.
watch swap meet here, as people move to larger bikes, the usually sell the modified drive separate.
some people have had luck finding drives at Cycletherapy.

If you find a drive and just want to modify a C50 driveshaft and get a shortened spacer, VR member yfz450 can do that for you. His contact info is [email protected]

btw, great look'n bike :lol:

61 - 80 of 169 Posts