Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of converting my rear turnsignals into run/turn/brake lights. I am also adding additional lighting to my rear. I am waiting on the receipt of some additional lighting. I posted how I converted the turnsignals in another thread and thought I would cross-post it here.

I got the lenses from NAPA.

Unscrew the screw that is on the bottom of the turnsignal and remove the lense and reflector. They are glued together. Others have talked about prying the lenses off of the reflector. When I tried that, it appeared the reflector would break or crack. What I did was use a hack saw to cut the face of the lense off. Do not go too close to the base. Stay above the serrated edges you see at the bottom of the amber lense.

Once I cut the face of the lense off, I then used a pair of wire cutters to cut the remaining side of the lense. I cut at the point where there is a notch in the lense and it is not glued to the reflector.

I then worked the sides until it came apart from the reflector. On one of the lenses this went pretty easily. On the other the glue did not want to release and the reflector started to tear. I then started working the other end. I would cut a piece and work it off, then repeat until got all of the lense off. I then used a file and utility knife to remove the remaining glue and got back as much of the lip as I could. The new lense is going to rest on this.

I then used a plastic epoxy to attach the new red lense to the reflector. Work quickly with this stuff as it sets up pretty fast. Also have something ready to wipe off the excess expoxy that oozes out between the reflector and the lense.

I then clamped them for about 24 hours.

Here is the result. I have the left turnsignal on.

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
some states insist on an AMBER turning signal. better check your laws before doing this mod.

·
Premium Member
14,414 Posts
wehrd1 said:
some states insist on an AMBER turning signal. better check your laws before doing this mod.
I don't think so. Many cars have red turnsignals (probably more cars than amber). I think the law is that rear running lights have to be red, which is why the amber lights on the rear of our MCs are not running lights.
Page 35 & 37 in the link below from the DOT site shows
Turn signal lamps - 2 amber; 2 red or amber
At or near the rear - 1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 9 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and tail or stop lamp is 4 inches, when a single stop and tail lamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn signal lamps are red.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Rulemaking/Articles/Associated Files/mcpkg002.pdf

·
Registered
665 Posts
Did you do the mod kit where your rear signals are turned into brake lights like the main light as well?

Cool post...thanks for sharing with all of us!

Jeff

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fstpicker said:
Did you do the mod kit where your rear signals are turned into brake lights like the main light as well?

Cool post...thanks for sharing with all of us!

Jeff
Here is where I described how I added the run-turn-brake converter and the additional lights to the back.

·
Registered
957 Posts
wehrd1 said:

doubt this since most cars are red on rear.

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
v0lusia said:
wehrd1 said:
I don't think so. Many cars have red turnsignals (probably more cars than amber). I think the law is that rear running lights have to be red, which is why the amber lights on the rear of our MCs are not running lights.
i think that's correct. otherwise, the new car i bought last may would be illegal in those states, too.

off-topic, i love my radiantz clusters to accomplish more rear lighting. full red running lights and still amber signals.

on-topic: to separate the lenses from the reflectors, and avoid all the hacksawing and cussing (maybe you didn't, but i sure did when i switched to clear lenses)... after listening to me wail and moan for probably a half hour, delo got tired of it and out of thin air (ie, her head ;) ), she goes, "why don't you try the hairdryer like you did to take the labels off the bike?" i was desperate, so i tried it. i'll be damned if it didn't work like magic. a few minutes of heat loosened the glue up enough to just twist them off. ;)

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
That kit includes clear lenses and red bulbs. The site is using a stock catalog pic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Easy Red turn signal lens

I got translucent red paint (Krylon Stained Glass Color) from Arts & Crafts Store (Michaels) and painted the amber lens. It's easy and looks great.

Just do several light coats until you have the color you want. Do all coats one right after the other - don't wait for them to dry - otherwise it will come out crappy.

It should go without saying to remove the lens from the bike and mask the area that you don't want painted first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this is an old and possibly dead thread but I did this swap with a twist. I did beehive lens front and rear. I did install the Signal Dynamics brake/signal/running lights module. I was scared to start cutting four perfectly good lens - but if you can't open it you don't own it...

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts