Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my bike is on the side stand and I look in the window, I cannot see any oil. When my bike is upright, I can.

My question is this: In what position does the bike need to be when using the site glass to check the oil?

·
Premium Member
23,762 Posts
MUST be level...a little "mechanics mirror" with a long handle is handy.

·
Registered
284 Posts
oil check

Hi KJ,

Get an inexpensive swivel bathroom/makeup mirror (I snitched my wife's old one). Set in on the ground and tilt the mirror so you can see the oil level while seated on the bike and holding it upright. I keep mine in the storage room off the carport and set it out when needed. Get one that sits low to the ground, not one of the pedestal kind.

Jack

·
Registered
359 Posts
depending on the size/weight/strength ratio between you and the bike...
I simply get where i can see the glass and then pull the bike towards me till its level - seems to work fine for me

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
These bikes take oil? :shock:

Naw just kidding, I usually slide the jack under it and pump it enough to hold it level.

RR

·
Registered
185 Posts
gerry2153 said:
I simply get where i can see the glass and then pull the bike towards me till its level - seems to work fine for me
And have the stand down on a phone book or something similar to hold the bike up almost vertical. Then you just have to barely pull it toward you. An inch or two from vertical can give you the wrong reading.

·
Registered
373 Posts
slowrider said:
gerry2153 said:
And have the stand down on a phone book or something similar to hold the bike up almost vertical. Then you just have to barely pull it toward you. An inch or two from vertical can give you the wrong reading.
I do this as well. But I also put it on the jack every couple of weeks to do a good detail and check the oil then just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My good friend "Marvin the Magnificient!!" taught me how to levitate my motorcycle up to eye level. then while it's hovering there, my girlfriend walks around it, and then passes a Hula Hoop completely over it. All the while, strutting about in a spangled one piece outfit. Quite fetching, really..
Then, after a dramatic pause, I slowly lower it back down and gently lay her over on the kickstand. My neighbors all come over and watch. 8)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Level? What level?

The only thing I'm checking out is my girlfriend.

·
Registered
645 Posts
gerry2153 said:
That's what I do too.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I use a dental mirror... sit on the bike, hold it upright and just look.. it's a snap.. I carry the mirror in a pack behind the windshield along with a digital tire gauge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Would there be any interest if I offered a 2" diameter mirror with 24" telescoping handle for around $10 SHIPPING INCLUDED?

That way, no phone books or dangerous leans, just sit on your bike and see the oil...any takers?

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
Cbhedwar, I think it would be just fine for you to offer those. Why don't you post it over in the swap meet.

I agree with you about the leaning, unless you've got the muscle and self confidence, you could pull your bike over on top of you, not good, and I wouldn't want anyone to try that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
UPRIGHT

I have my wife sit on the bike and hold it upright.... begging her not to let go. {{wink}} THEN, I use a flashlight and look at the sight glass. They should use a dipstick for sure !!! poor design.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Am I the only person who just looks at the distorted reflection of the oil-window in the tailpipe?

Even though the image is scrunched down, it is still possible to make out the oil level fairly accurately.

-Clint

1 - 20 of 20 Posts