Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I keep my bike clean and in good working order, but one thing I have neglected for years is changing the coolant. The coolant is supposed to be changed regularly, and I’m embarrassed to say I have never done it (although the dealer may have on one of the early services they did).

Check out my blog for all the details!

http://www.ednelson.us/blog/?p=763

Ed

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Coolant change is on my very short list of things to do this winter. Excellent write-up.

Have a great weekend!

swifty

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the seat is a 6mm allen, the tank is a 12mm socket or wrench, the speedo is a 3mm and 4mm allen.

If you have a Mustang seat, the post is a 5/8" deep socket or wrench.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Thanks Ed, you're special.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Agree, should be a STICKY

Good One Ed

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Ed..thans and appreciated the photos and the writeup but tell me, do you need to remove the front left frame cover (in order to do so, I have to remove the engine guard ? ).....mine is a 07 I suppose its about time for a coolent change.....

·
Premium Member
28,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RemingtonNY said:
Ed..thans and appreciated the photos and the writeup but tell me, do you need to remove the front left frame cover (in order to do so, I have to remove the engine guard ? ).....mine is a 07 I suppose its about time for a coolent change.....
These are the 3 covers you will need to remove:

No need to remove the engine guards.

·
Registered
13,216 Posts
:evil: yea ~ thanks for nuthin' Ed !! now that you spelled it out for us mechani-tards ~ now I have NO excuse not to do it! just one more thing added to my list ~ supposed next yer gonna tell us we need to change the oil too??!! :p

·
Premium Member
28,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Redzdvl said:
:evil: yea ~ thanks for nuthin' Ed !! now that you spelled it out for us mechani-tards ~ now I have NO excuse not to do it! just one more thing added to my list ~ supposed next yer gonna tell us we need to change the oil too??!! :p

funny you say that...that's tomorrow's project. lol
My K&N oil filters came in this evening :p

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
While you have the covers off doing the coolant change, it would be a good idea to do a clutch adjustment.... It's located under cover #3. (Why does that sound like it's from a game show?)

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Skrapiron said:
While you have the covers off doing the coolant change, it would be a good idea to do a clutch adjustment.... It's located under cover #3. (Why does that sound like it's from a game show?)
Also clean all dirt/dust build-up in these areas that are covered. :eek:

·
Premium Member
28,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sanos said:
Skrapiron said:
Also clean all dirt/dust build-up in these areas that are covered. :eek:
True that!
I found two big spiders in under the covers (both dead). I was going to add their photos tot he story with an admonition to clean while you are in there, but the photos came out blurry (the macro on my little camera sucks).

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Very nice and hopefully helpful post Ed.

Thanks for taking the time to post this!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts