Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tires have plenty of tread on them but are 8 years old. What should I expect to pay (middle of the road) for new tires installed? I've only gotten one quote so far and it was $450 for Shinko tires. Sure sounds high to me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
If you want expensive, try running a 240 series tire on an 800lb bike. I'm spending $300 every year and a half on rear tires alone.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think last time I bought a set, 2 years ago, I had just under 400.00 in new tires, tubes, mount and balance. Those were Metzler 888, black walls.

·
Super Moderator
22,942 Posts
I would be more concerned about how reliable the tires are for your type of riding...some last half as long as others, some handle wet roads horendously...you get what you pay for...don't skimp on tires,,,you only have 2 of them under you so consider it good insurance to invest wisely...more for safety than for how much you can save...search for others experience with differnt tire brands and then you can find out what to expect. to pay for a set. Good luck...persinally I've been pleased with the Metzler Brand myself.

·
Registered
21,926 Posts
Wise words ☝ I love the Commander II's. Never had a bit of trouble and have lasted a while. Next year they'll need replaced.

Reactions: Jmbrad

·
Registered
305 Posts
I ran Metzler on my Volusia and when I bought my C50 last year the dealer where I bought it put Commander II on it. I’m very pleased with both.
I got caught in a couple good rains on the Metzler while on road trips and was very happy with their performance and handling.
I haven’t been caught in the rain on the Commanders yet but have been on wet roads and am pleased with how they performed and handled.
As for longevity I’m the wrong person to ask, I have yet to replace a set of tires because I wore them out, it’s always been the age of the tire. I hope to one year correct that problem but this working for a living takes up way to much leisure time.......

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
So if you're being quoted $450 for Shinko, you're being ripped off. They're CHEAP tires. Less than $100 each at retail. They are incredibly soft and grip incredibly well. But they wear as well as a pencil eraser. You'll be lucky to get 5000 miles out of the set.

Like others have offered, the Metzler and Michelin offerings are much better tires for not much more than you're being quoted bargain basement.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got a second quote for Michelin Commander 3's. $440 out the door. Now I gotta figure out how to get the bike there. I ain't riding 40 miles on eight year old tires.

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,942 Posts
just go slow on back roads...you should be ok. You know the situation so its not like your going to be day crusiing the slabs at 70 mph...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Late to this party, but here's another vote for Michelin Commanders.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I put a set of Shinko SR 777s on mine last month....I removed the wheels and re-installed the wheels. I bought the tires at the mom/pop shop and had the tires mounted on the wheels at the same local mom/pop shop...$310 for the set mounted on the wheels...I actually wanted Pirelli MT 66s...but couldnt find them in stock anywhere on line and mom/pop shop looked them up and they were on back order till end of July...so Shinko SR 777s it was....I run the Shinko Ravens on my Honda NC700x and last month was in the Smokies running hard...got to 1/4" or less to the edge of the tires running the curves fast...no issues with Shinko tires at all...

·
Registered
21,926 Posts
Just remember, whatever you put on, that you have to go easy for the first100 miles or so to get the rubber preservatives to wear off. It's very slippery but once it's wore off, you'll feel the increase in grip.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Just checked with my local dealer and a set of Michelin Commander 2's mounted was $591 and a set of metzlers was $543. Ouch!

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
Yeah, that's about normal. Good tires will run a buck and a half to two bucks apiece.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One of my issues is I'm 40 miles from a city of any size. I checked on renting one of those motorcycle trailers and I can't get one where I live. There's one power sports shop here some people recommended but they never would get back to me with a quote. Until yesterday. IRC GS 23's for $350 installed. I'm going to go with these. I Googled them and people seemed to be happy with them. I really don't ride much anyway. And I never take long trips. Just ride around where I live.

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
If you want to run garbage Chinese tires, go ahead. Cheap tires are cheap for a reason. Wear, grip or ride quality. Pick any two.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My tires have plenty of tread on them but are 8 years old. What should I expect to pay (middle of the road) for new tires installed? I've only gotten one quote so far and it was $450 for Shinko tires. Sure sounds high to me.

Thanks.
I just put a full set of shinko`s on my bike and I love how they handle after the 500 mile break in point they handle really well the rain and the grip of the road is good as well .I paid 450.. for my tires as well

·
Registered
2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
52 Posts
I was quoted around $700 Cdn for a set of whitewalls up here in Canada. Don't remember what brand they quoted on but it wasn't Metzeler or Shinko. I'm not sure what other manufacturers even make whitewalls for the C50. Maybe Avon?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I just paid pennies short of $295 Canadian for a Pirelli Angel GT2 for the front of my FJR. I took the wheel into the dealer, he discounted the tire and didn't charge me labor. I paid $383 for a Michelin Road 5 $345 for a Road 4 GT. These prior tires I took the bike in and they did all the work. Yes I could get the tires put on cheaper or buy on line and find someone to install and balance. I got 8125 miles from the tire. It was down into the wear bars. I could have got another few hundred miles but didn't want to go into a week of riding twisty roads with an iffy tire. Getting caught in the rain would not be good with a worn out tire. Unfortunately this bike being a sport tour tends to wear the front a bit faster than the rear. I might get the rest of this season out of the rear.
Tires seem to be more expensive in Canada. My C50 was past warranty but quite low on mileage when the timing chains started slapping. The dealer and Suzuki absorbed most of the cost. I should have been on the hook for the whole thing. I've always bought my tires from my local dealer and he treats me well.

Reactions: Jmbrad
1 - 20 of 26 Posts