Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

2012 C50 new Boulevard owner here. I was told by more veteran owners of boulevards that the optimal maximum riding speed is in the 65-70mph range, maximum. Making the engine turn any faster apparently really works the engine hard to the point where it wears down fairly faster.

I already pushed her to 80-85 a few times and while the ride is still smooth and there are no vibrations (albeit bad gas mileage) i wonder if the engine can sustain this type of performance long term even with proper maintenance.

So how hard do you push you ladies?

·
Registered
21,177 Posts
It is an 800 cc engine. It will run exactly how long it is supposed to run.

Reactions: Michael24

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
I won't tell others how to ride but I think I may have hit 75 once for about 15 seconds. Other than that 65 is where I try to limit my speed and I find 55 even better.

Heck, I don't even drive my car but 70 and then only on the freeway.

Kerf isn't cool, flashy or a slave to fashion for that matter.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I ride mine as fast as traffic will allow. Sometimes that 65-70, sometimes 80-90. 67k miles, and no issues yet. Anything over 90, indicated, is pushing it hard though. Will use oil and fuel in the same amounts... Lol.

The DJ modified drive makes it much much better.

Reactions: RellaLou

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Find out what your speedometer error is and then you'll know how fast you are really going.

I think mine had alittle more than most, at 70 indicated the officers radar gun said I was going 63 in a 55. I got a warning.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I find that comfort is my limiter, meaning that before my dj drive conversion I simply wasn't comfortable with the angry worker bee buzz above 55-60. Since my drive change, I've done spells up to 75-80 comfortably, though I usually top out around 70. I agree that the mod greatly improves the feel at high speeds.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Many 30 minute 80-85mph commutes - Mostly run between 70-75. Had it at 95mph once, for about a mile, and I was surprised how stable it still felt. Wouldn't try it without my windshield though.

Reactions: Michael24

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi guys

2012 C50 new Boulevard owner here. I was told by more veteran owners of boulevards that the optimal maximum riding speed is in the 65-70mph range, maximum. Making the engine turn any faster apparently really works the engine hard to the point where it wears down.

So how hard do you push you ladies?
First thing you ask these veteran owners is where they got that data. After either blank stares or obvious BS answers you will know to ignore these guys about any verbal diarrhea that spews from their cake holes.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
I held my C50 at WOT for about 25 minutes while playing "catch-up" to the group I was riding with. Speedo said something like 97 mph (I had a speedo healer on it). Nevada has some nice high speed roads. It used 1 quart of oil every 500 miles from the day it was brand new till the day I sold it.

·
Registered
21,177 Posts
First thing you ask these veteran owners is where they got that data. After either blank stares or obvious BS answers you will know to ignore these guys about any verbal diarrhea that spews from their cake holes.
Um, yeah. Right...

Oil consumption is a chronic problem with these engines across all years and the harder you run them, the more they will use. So if you're going to run it like a sport bike, be prepared to dump a quart in the crank case every time you stop for fuel. A bit of an exaggeration? Perhaps. I had to add oil to mine every 500 miles of freeway use from 20k miles until it finally grenaded at 38000 miles.

It isn't designed to run at high interstate speeds for extended periods of time. If you need to ride like that, get a bigger bike.

Reactions: dsmitty

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Um, yeah. Right...

Oil consumption is a chronic problem with these engines across all years and the harder you run them, the more they will use. So if you're going to run it like a sport bike, be prepared to dump a quart in the crank case every time you stop for fuel. A bit of an exaggeration? Perhaps. I had to add oil to mine every 500 miles of freeway use from 20k miles until it finally grenaded at 38000 miles.

It isn't designed to run at high interstate speeds for extended periods of time. If you need to ride like that, get a bigger bike.
Got the wife back on the bike first time in seven weeks after shoulder replacement. About 100 miles 65-55-45 mph, I'm happy, wife's happy and the bike seemed ecstatic.

When I get the Nomad I'll do the 70-80 mph stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Adding oil every 500 miles seems like a lot of consumption to me.

I change my oil every 5-6,000 KMS, and NEVER add any oil in between. Whenever I check the sight glass it's always bang on where it's supposed to be, or if I've done a lot of higher speed riding, maybe down a "hair". I can't believe it's not using as much as some of you are indicating.

While we're at it ...................what about running the bike non stop for 12 hours at 60-70 MPH?? (Yes, I have to stop for fuel and food, but what I'm saying is you get on the bike at 6:00am, and ride non stop for 12 hours, until 6:00pm) I'm talking 700 or 800 MILES in one day.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts

·
Registered
21,177 Posts
It's a problem that has plagued these bikes since their introduction. There is no such thing as a bike that uses ZERO oil in between oil changes. Well, let me clarify. EVERY engine uses SOME oil in the normal operation of the engine. You can't prevent oil loss. What most people are reading on their dipstick after a long service interval is oil, contaminated with a lot of water and unburned fuel as well as other nastiness. So while it LOOKS like you have a crankcase full of oil, what you have is a crankcase fully of sludgie goodness.

If you run it for an extended period of time at high RPM, chances are REALLY good that you're going to find the oil level below optimal. Especially with these engines.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It's a problem that has plagued these bikes since their introduction. There is no such thing as a bike that uses ZERO oil in between oil changes. Well, let me clarify. EVERY engine uses SOME oil in the normal operation of the engine. You can't prevent oil loss. What most people are reading on their dipstick after a long service interval is oil, contaminated with a lot of water and unburned fuel as well as other nastiness. So while it LOOKS like you have a crankcase full of oil, what you have is a crankcase fully of sludgie goodness.

If you run it for an extended period of time at high RPM, chances are REALLY good that you're going to find the oil level below optimal. Especially with these engines.
No sludge, almost no oil consumption, and I ride it as hard as I please. The issue you are describing sounds like an irregular gasket failure in the cooling system. I would get that fixed instead of saying this is a normal problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Um, yeah. Right...

Do I understand correctly that your volusia died at 38000 miles?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.