Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you unlock the lock you can see the bolt that holds it on. That is the one that needs the security torx that Avol mentioned.

I picked up a set of the bits you can put in to a screwdriver at Autozone for about $10

After you remove the lock there will be a chrome piece that the lock is bolted to, I've had my rear fender off 2 f-n times and keep forgetting to cut that off :oops:
Keys were lost, Do the ignition, gas cap, and helmet lock take he same key ? Or do we just buy aftermarket ignition barrel and gas cap ?

·
Super Moderator
9,382 Posts
Keys were lost, Do the ignition, gas cap, and helmet lock take he same key ? Or do we just buy aftermarket ignition barrel and gas cap ?
As I said in response to your other post, they take the same key. HOWEVER, the gas cap and helmet lock use only part of the key (the tip), whereas the ignition uses the entire key. So you cannot recreate the ignition key from the helmet lock or gas cap.

Please, I again suggest that you use the SEARCH function, and enter in the phrase lost key. You'll get a lot of information, from people who have been in this same boat before. There are useful suggestions out there if you look around.

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
4 Posts
As I said in response to your other post, they take the same key. HOWEVER, the gas cap and helmet lock use only part of the key (the tip), whereas the ignition uses the entire key. So you cannot recreate the ignition key from the helmet lock or gas cap.

Please, I again suggest that you use the SEARCH function, and enter in the phrase lost key. You'll get a lot of information, from people who have been in this same boat before. There are useful suggestions out there if you look around.
Hello, Thanks for the response. I got all kinds of advice, one being take the helmet lock to a locksmith. Hence, the post. It's my buddies bike, I can work on my HDs. lol..... Thanks again,
Merry Christmas,

·
Super Moderator
9,382 Posts
Hello, Thanks for the response. I got all kinds of advice, one being take the helmet lock to a locksmith. Hence, the post. It's my buddies bike, I can work on my HDs. lol..... Thanks again,
Merry Christmas,
People on this forum have solved the identical problem in a variety of different ways. The most common are:

1. They have pulled the entire ignition and taken it to a professional locksmith.

2. They have purchased a new ignition assembly, including keys, from a wrecked bike. (After this, their helmet locks and gas caps also have to be re-keyed).

3. They have looked in their owner's manual, found that the prior owner wrote down the key code in it, and asked their dealer to make a new key from the key code.

4. They have taken the VIN off the bike to a dealership and had the dealer look up the key code associated with the VIN, and then produced a new key from it.

Good luck to your buddy. Maybe you can let us know how it works out.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts