Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the penny test apply for checking tread level? What other things should one look for in determining if new tires are needed or not?

Bought my C50 used, its a 2008 with 7400 miles. I "think" the tires are original but they look in good condition.

I'd like to squeeze more miles out of them given the fact that my local shop wants $70 per tire to do an on-bike install - yikes!:shock:

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Most tires have wear indicators (you could google your particular tire to find out more). I don't know if I would use the penny method. Sure it will tell you that you are still within legal limits but tires are probably the single most important part of your bike, so I wouldn't be cheap on them and replace them before they become slicks. Being legal and being safe is a big difference IMO.

Besides thread wear, tires can develop "cupping", sort of like a bulge around the perimeter. This type of wear can't be measured with a penny. It's not necessarily dangerous but it will affect the handling.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check for any cracking on the side wall and in the treads. If you find cracks, they're due to be replaced. Tires last an average of 5 years so you can also check the manufacturing date stamp on the side wall to see when they were made. If they are the original tires, consider replacing them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You could do as I did years ago and buy a gauge to check your tires religiously. You can deal with 32nds, 31st, 30ths and 29ths. You can check and recheck. Or, you can just look at the wear indicators and have about the same results. The wear indicators aren't perfect but they are very close to giving you a heads up as a gauge. Also, cupping etc won't be detected by a gauge any more than the wear indicators. We have rough roads here but I'd say 7400 miles and looking good means a 2nd set already. Maybe not but if in good shape, someone must have ridden on grass.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Due the tires being 6 years old or possibly older depending on the date of manufacturing, I'd replace ASAP. Why push your luck when the tires are the only thing between you and the road surface....

$70 to install each? Or both. If each, shop around, that's high. The shop may be quoting you that price for tires he is not selling to you. What if he sold you the tires? How much install price then?

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
The penny test applies to motorcycle tires as well. If you can see any light above Mr. Lincoln's head it is time for new tires.

Something else to consider. Your bike is a 2008. This is 2014. The tires on your bike are more than 5 years old, which means, regardless of the tread remaining, they should be replaced......

Tires have an expiration date. Learn it and use it....

If you want to squeeze a few more miles out of what you have now, let me ask a question. Is your life insurance paid up???? You've only got 2 tires between you and the pavement. I'll never understand why people want to take a chance like that. If in doubt, change your tires!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I emailed the guy I bought the bike from, hopefully he'll tell me if they are the original or not.

Got quotes from two shops local, both for a set of Metzler 888s:

1. $295 for the tires, $70 EACH mounted on bike, $40 each off bike
2. $400 for the tires, $10 EACH mounting (admitted they are selling at retail $ hence low mounting charge.

I can't remove or remount myself being a newb so I am at their mercy, not much difference in price all in all.

Dang Skrap, you got me scared :)

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
You can look on the sidewall and tell.... The manufacture date code is a 4 digit number, molded into the sidewall. The first two digits are the week and the last 2 are the year. If they are anything OTHER than IRC, they are aftermarket. If they are IRC, they're OEM.

With only 7400 miles on the clock? They're original. Don't cheap out. Get new tires.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I emailed the guy I bought the bike from, hopefully he'll tell me if they are the original or not.

Got quotes from two shops local, both for a set of Metzler 888s:

1. $295 for the tires, $70 EACH mounted on bike, $40 each off bike
2. $400 for the tires, $10 EACH mounting (admitted they are selling at retail $ hence low mounting charge.

I can't remove or remount myself being a newb so I am at their mercy, not much difference in price all in all.

Dang Skrap, you got me scared :)

That's very similar pricing for my ME880's installed by a local shop. I've tried for years to find a cheaper deal but cannot. I don't do my own tire install either. Those 888's ought to carry you for 2-3 years depending on your average annual mileage. My mileage is not typical. I put 18-20k miles per year and replace annually. Tires are a safety investment and I have complete confidence in how they "stick" to the pavement which means a lot to me.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Small investment for one of the most critical items on the bike. When in doubt - replace. The tires are what keep you upright my friend, the last thing you want to do is be thinking "sh*t, I should have spent the $$" while you are sliding down the pavement.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Does the penny test apply for checking tread level? What other things should one look for in determining if new tires are needed or not?

Bought my C50 used, its a 2008 with 7400 miles. I "think" the tires are original but they look in good condition.

I'd like to squeeze more miles out of them given the fact that my local shop wants $70 per tire to do an on-bike install - yikes!:shock:
OEM motorcycle tires are only good for about 8-10K miles at most, I replaced mine at 8,000 (rear first then front a few months later) with Michelin Commander II's - really liked them and they wear really well.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now the only decision is brand and whitewall or blackwall! I shopped the Metzlers or something else. But I know the brand discussion has been beaten to death already in another thread .

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Now the only decision is brand and whitewall or blackwall! I shopped the Metzlers or something else. But I know the brand discussion has been beaten to death already in another thread .

You can't go wrong with the Metzlers.... What is the $ difference per tire between the low end and the top of the line?? Maybe $50?? I know that some budgets would see that as a lot of money but weighing the factors may give you a different story..... you pay your money and take your chances with any product..

Now if you decide on the WWW, then your options are a little more limited...

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
I love love love Metzlers. But a quirk of fate resulted in my purchasing a set of Michelin Commander IIs and I have nothing but praise for them so far. You can't go wrong with either.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts