Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a very cheap 2004 Volusia and while I don't need another bike (or project), I am very tempted. The owner states that the issue is in the transmission: "There is a problem with the transmission. Bike starts, you'll hear a lot of clanking when the bike is turned on." I found a 2002 Volusia transmission for sale for the price of a Chipotle meal for two. How difficult would it be to swap it? Would I need to pull the engine or can it be done in place?

·
Registered
19,523 Posts
The engine and transmission are all a single unit. The only way to "swap" the gears is a complete tear down. You need to replace it as a unit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine and transmission are all a single unit. The only way to "swap" the gears is a complete tear down. You need to replace it as a unit.
OK figures. And any idea how difficult it is to do that kind of teardown? Again, not certain I want to go with this, but just curious how much labor is involved. I've never torn down an engine before.

·
Registered
19,523 Posts
It is a COMPLETE tear down, including splitting the case in half. You have to remove everything, down to the crank shaft before you can even get to the transmission.

No, you don't want this as a project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts