Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This being the first year avail for the Victory Vision they are advertising it as the motorcycle of the year. Obviously this is from a couple of critics or magazines... But shouldnt the consumer decide if its the bike of the year? I just dont agree with them advertising that already... Not knocking the bike at all just think its a lil early to be saying that.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
well bmac that would not be possible because we all think what makes a great bike is different. I think the Vision definitely has earned its right as bike of the year. It certainly takes a step in a new direction.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Motor Trend will often inform the winning manufacturer of it's Car Of The Year Award in early November, despite the magazine's January release date.
This gives the manufacturer the lead time to promote the the product, and the award.
The magazine usually requests the manufacturer to not advertise before a certain date.
It is not uncommon for that date to be as much as a month before the magazine's release.
I would guess this is a similar situation.
-Raz

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
FX4 said:
well bmac that would not be possible because we all think what makes a great bike is different. I think the Vision definitely has earned its right as bike of the year. It certainly takes a step in a new direction.
Jetsons!!!

I'm sorry...I've ridden as a passenger on the back of the full fledged touring version for about a 20 mile test ride....was NOT impressed. The driver couldn't see all the hub-bub about it either. He even rode it solo, and still couldn't see the $30K price tag.

He said he'd keep his Venture over the Vision ANY day of the week. especially $ for $.

qualifier: I am NOT slamming anyones choice of ride. I LOVE the look, but looks ain't what I'm after.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
FX4 said:
It's supposed to be based on all around performance, reliability, and sales, not just a step in a new direction. Who knows if, in the long run, that new direction is a good direction?

It is DEFINITELY too early to make the call on performance or sales since we are only in the fourth month!!

That being said, from what I hear it is a very well thought out machine with excellent quality, so I won't be surprised if it does get voted "Bike of the Year"

it's also ugly

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Do a search on Google for:

"2007 Motorcycle of the Year"

I found that Triumph, BMW, Motoguzzi all claimed that title.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Formally Peg_scraper said:
FX4 said:
It's supposed to be based on all around performance, reliability, and sales, not just a step in a new direction. Who knows if, in the long run, that new direction is a good direction?

It is DEFINITELY too early to make the call on performance or sales since we are only in the fourth month!!

That being said, from what I hear it is a very well thought out machine with excellent quality, so I won't be surprised if it does get voted "Bike of the Year"

it's also ugly
When does sales qualify something considered in vehicle of the year? If the was the case. Harley and Honda would win every year. If performance were the only qualifier then some exotic would win every year. There are a lot of reasons a vehicle wins. Performance is a factor, sales no. Reliability is a JD Powers award and not an editors award. Man you need to understand how they rate these things. Its an overall weighted evaluation.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
FX4 said:

it's also ugly
BTW It ain't ugly.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
Triumph's street triple did the same thing last year.

So didn't the stratoliner 2 years ago.

as well as the sv650 way back in 2003.

MANY bikes are dubbed "bike of the year" or "best in class" before they REALLY hit the market in mass numbers. They go by bike journalists mostly. Most will vary from magazine to magazine.

edit=btw......most bikes are tested and reviewes LONG before the average joe gets the chance to demo or buy them.

·
Banned
13,763 Posts
bmac said:
This being the first year avail for the Victory Vision they are advertising it as the motorcycle of the year. Obviously this is from a couple of critics or magazines... But shouldnt the consumer decide if its the bike of the year? I just dont agree with them advertising that already... Not knocking the bike at all just think its a lil early to be saying that.
I think maybe cause all the 08' models are out, even though the year isn't over.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
wehrd1 said:
FX4 said:
Jetsons!!!

I'm sorry...I've ridden as a passenger on the back of the full fledged touring version for about a 20 mile test ride....was NOT impressed. The driver couldn't see all the hub-bub about it either. He even rode it solo, and still couldn't see the $30K price tag.

He said he'd keep his Venture over the Vision ANY day of the week. especially $ for $.

qualifier: I am NOT slamming anyones choice of ride. I LOVE the look, but looks ain't what I'm after.
Are you talkin about me?? I don't know what you're talkin about. I LOVED that bike! :p

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
FX4 said:
FX4 said:

it's also ugly
BTW It ain't ugly.
your right!

its hideous!

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
FX4 said:
Its an overall weighted evaluation.
That's EXACTLY what I was getting at...just didn't feel like listing all the things that are evaluated.

It's ugly IMO

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
and I'm pretty sure sales is involved when actually awards are given....but I could be wrong. No biggie if I am!

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Well my prediction is the bike will start off with slow sales and then after people get used to the look sales will pick up. I'm sticking with I don't think its ugly. The bike is really well designed.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I wasn't given opportunity to vote for or against it.
Was there some kind of "Bike primary?"
Is there some allotment of delegates?
Was the final decision decided by superbike delegates???

Geeze, I feel so disenfranchised...

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
FX4 said:
Well my prediction is the bike will start off with slow sales and then after people get used to the look sales will pick up. I'm sticking with I don't think its ugly. The bike is really well designed.
it might. I do admit that I look at it every time BECAUSE it is so different! It very well could change the look of long distance haulers permanetly, or it could fade into the wood work, only time will tell.

it's ugly :D

·
Registered
1,937 Posts

I'm just hittin' the 'back' button all day long.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts