Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently bought a wolo dual horn setup, it was used and the original owner could not remember the exact model. After searching their site I figured it was closest to the airsplitter for motorcycles so I followed those instructions. I wired as shown in the "dual wire" instructions stating to wire 1 horn wire to the 85 point, 1 to the 86 point, 12V to the 30 and the positive lead on the compressor to the 87 point. After completing this and hooking up the airlines I of course was excited to deafen myself so I turn the key, press the horn.....nothing!

A little history of myself, I am a aircraft electrician in the Navy so of course my troubleshooting side kicks on so immediately I check the continuity between the horn contacts and the contacts on the relay and they both check good so wiring, check. Then I assume the relay is bad since it has been sitting in a damp garage for who knows how long so off to spend more money. Come home, slap it in....nothing! DAMMIT! Bust out the multimeter and monitor the voltage as I press the button on both 85 and 86 and there is no voltage when I press the button so the switch won't make in the relay. I am lost, please help!

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
One suggestion ... always double check the fuses. I spent 1/2 day trying to figure out why my relay switch did not work and I finally checked the fuse to the aux wires in the head light. I don't know how I did it, but I blew the fuse. I wasted a lot of time. Good luck.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed an accessory fuse block and I did check power at pin 30, it was good.

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
Dustin,

You're not getting power to the relay. Do you have two wires from the compressor? You stated the + wire to the relay is connected to post 87, which is correct. There should be a - wire from the compressor which needs to be grounded.
Of the two horn wires, one is + and one is - and it's hard to tell the difference. The + wire goes to 86 (powers the relay) and the - goes to 85. If the horn still doesn't work, try reversing the 85 and 86 wires. I assume the wire from the battery to 30 is fused. If not, it needs to be to protect the relay.

Hope this helps,

Barry

·
Registered
858 Posts
First thing I would do is take everything out of the circuit and test the horn to see if it works. The compressors on these aren't the best in the world.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Test the horn by hooking up 2 wires straight to the horn's compressor and touch them to your car battery... does it work then?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I plugged the power wore straight to the compressor and as soon as I turned the key I got blasted so that works. I have it isolated to the wires from the horn, I switched both contacts on the relay to no avail. The problem I think is happening is I spliced it inside the headlight at the yellow junction block and fear I may have clipped the wires before something necessary for proper operation. I do know the wires are connected properly as there is continuity between the horn and the relay but no signal is being sent to the relay. If it helps I am using 18ga wire as this was close to the size of the wires from the horn. Thanks. If need be I can resplice the original wires and splice in later in the circuit but how the hell do I get to the damn horn without removing the radiator?

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
dewey405 said:
OK, I plugged the power wore straight to the compressor and as soon as I turned the key I got blasted so that works. I have it isolated to the wires from the horn, I switched both contacts on the relay to no avail. The problem I think is happening is I spliced it inside the headlight at the yellow junction block and fear I may have clipped the wires before something necessary for proper operation. I do know the wires are connected properly as there is continuity between the horn and the relay but no signal is being sent to the relay. If it helps I am using 18ga wire as this was close to the size of the wires from the horn. Thanks. If need be I can resplice the original wires and splice in later in the circuit but how the hell do I get to the damn horn without removing the radiator?
I was able to pull the wire connector off the OEM horn without removing the radiator, and I have large hands...

once you get that connector off, just cut it in half, and place the proper color wire to the appropriate terminal on the relay... no need to splice into those wires, and the OEM connectors will fit the relay.

To recap the wiring connections...

Relay terminal 30 - Connect to Battery Positive (+) terminal (with 20 amp in-line fuse in wire - place fuse as close to battery as possible)

Relay Terminal 85 - Connect the existing OEM horn wire that is Black / Blue in color.

Relay Terminal 86 - Connect the existing OEM horn wire that is Orange / Green in color.

Relay Terminal 87 - Connect to the Horn Positive (+) Terminal

Connect the Horn Negative Terminal (-) to the chassis, or back to the Battery Negative (-) terminal.

Hope this helps. Ride safe.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That nailed it rush, I spliced into the wires too soon and lost an important second wire. I did not clip the connector in half however, I secured it under the left neck cover and plugged in the wires that were already ran up there and viola, CYFHMN club...THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Double Bag Your Horn Relay

Only a couple of weeks back my Stebel conked out. "Oh great, what could possibly have gone wrong? What have I done since it last worked? I washed my bike and hosed her down with a vengence! Of course! I shorted out the relay."

I bought a replacement at The Source (what used to be called Radio Shack) for C$12 and carefully replaced the wires as above. Then put the relay into a freezer bag and cinched it down with a twist tie. Then another freezer bag and cinched that down with yet another twist tie. Put the neck cover back on and everything works just fine. I can wash the bike as often as I like!

Ian from Lethbridge

·
Registered
9 Posts
That nailed it rush, I spliced into the wires too soon and lost an important second wire. I did not clip the connector in half however, I secured it under the left neck cover and plugged in the wires that were already ran up there and viola, CYFHMN club...THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!
How did you do that with the after market horn?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts