Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have any first hand input on the ST1300? It is a 2005 without ABS. Especially interested in how it works for 2up touring and any chronic service issues.

Thanks in advance and please talk me out of this before it goes any farther

·
Registered
21,205 Posts
My friend Steve Gray had an ST1100. He is a very spirited rider and found it tended more towards the 'touring' side than the 'sport' side of the equation. It is like all Hondas. Built to run forever, just lacking in any character.

Reactions: Steve Gray

·
Registered
21,205 Posts
So if you're looking for a touring bike and don't care about the sport side, it is a fantastic ride!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Never rode one but the big knock is the amount of heat it puts out.

Also, the bike has not been updated in many years. I know a few have moved over to the FJR.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I know the resale on the ABS versus the non ABS is quite a bit of difference. And it is more a touring than sport. And as others have said, there are better bikes in that category. BMW RT, Yamaha FJR.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
It's says Honda. What more could you want?

Read tons about them. Law enforcement has their own specially trimmed (white Hi-Vis) unit not made available to the public. Bike can run at 80+ mph all week. Very powerful unit.

Yes I want one.

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
I have one I've put 88k on the clock. It will handle two up just fine. Get a Givi trunk if it doesn't have one and your passenger will be fine.

The maintance has been great over the years with it. It is due for a new clutch but currently it's still pulling stong. It has lots of power and is a little top heavy around parking lots. I've been very happy with the performance of mine and I'm rough on bikes. Plus it has a 7.7 gal tank which puts you in the 300 mile range between fill ups.

Of course a FJR or a Connie 1400 would be just as nice.

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
I'm not sure of better. Depending on the size of the rider (under 6 ft, reasonably not too well padded). The FJR is one of my favorite bikes. I am 4 inches too tall to ride one and they get hot. It is not the bike for me, even though I acknowledge it is a gooder.

the BMW R1200RT is cycle worlds sport tourer of the year and this year, it is the best bike. it is a great bike for 2 up long distance touring. It has its quirks. But it is, right now, best in class. That changes from year to year.

the kawasaki concourse is a big FJR, its top heavy, but an incredible machine. Smallest pillion seat of the class.

the Honda st1300 is not a very fresh design, it is not exciting, it certainly does not do anything in this class best. However, it is heavier than all others, and if I were buying a bike that does ALL things well without kinks, I would consider it. Honda is Honda. It is a very very very solid, yet unexciting motorcycle.

I recommend reading Motorcycle Consumer News' sport touring comparo from a couple years ago. I ride an R1200GS BMW, even though it was not entered (the bike carrying the cameras) it won the MCN sport touring comparo. An A model actually os a great two up bike with wind protection. I have finally come to the same conclusion as the no advertising based MCN, the GS is, most likely, the best sport tourer, and I'll stick with that.

But you could not make a mistake buying any of these bikes, none of them are good, they are great. When you compare sport tourers, remember you are comparing the best all round experienced riders' choices for motorcycles. Literally, the 4 or 5 best all-round motorcycles. Pick your poison. Ride all 5 then choose.

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
i'm sorry, I didnt read your whole post... Do not buy this bike without ABS. There is no reason to move up to a sport tourer and not have it. All sport tourers made after X have it. The BMWs even have stability control...

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
i'm sorry, I didnt read your whole post... Do not buy this bike without ABS. There is no reason to move up to a sport tourer and not have it. All sport tourers made after X have it. The BMWs even have stability control...
agreed

with a heavy bike that is more than capable of running all day in the triple digits, you want to be able to stop quickly regardless of the road condition.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I don't agree. It's nice to have but before ABS we didn't have big bikes crashing constantly due to a lack of it. I've never had ABS and really don't care if I ever do.

I know a person is not going to beat the performance of a well running ABS system but I have done lots of rolling endo's, ridden for at least a block with the front wheel locked up and squealing just for the fun of it, MANY days in the rain and even a lot in the snow, etc. What I am saying is you do not NEED ABS, it's just a bonus if you get it.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I don't agree. It's nice to have but before ABS we didn't have big bikes crashing constantly due to a lack of it. I've never had ABS and really don't care if I ever do.

I know a person is not going to beat the performance of a well running ABS system but I have done lots of rolling endo's, ridden for at least a block with the front wheel locked up and squealing just for the fun of it, MANY days in the rain and even a lot in the snow, etc. What I am saying is you do not NEED ABS, it's just a bonus if you get it.
True, but if you have the choice of abs or not, i'm going with the abs bike. I can turn mine off (same with the traction control) if i ever wanted to do tricks.

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts

I kind of agree, but with the ST 1300 you can find one with abs for the same price as without... And Im taking with every time. When I get off the hook, I just turn it off. I cant do a wheelie with my asc on... But Im 49 and do about three wheelies a year.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I like the bike and it gets good reviews and I looked at one recently at a dealer, but the side opening saddle bags is a deal killer for me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Man, lots of good advice here from all. Except the ABS thing. For me, after owning a bike with it, its a must-have. I used to think I could do without it, but nope. It will outbrake me every single time.
The ST series are big top-heavy TOURING bikes, with a sporty look. They lack character. They are GREAT mile munchers on the highway, but only after (at least with the 1100) a better shield. I really think they are, in a way, the worst compromise: Not sporty enough to be, well, sporty, but not enough wind protection to really tour in comfort. I personally hated my 1100 because it was not powerful enough, had zero character, was a total pain in the driveway to move around, and was like wrestling an elephant through the twisties. The heat was there, but it never really bothered me all that much, as I wasn't often in traffic. My DL650 V-strom is just as fast, and a lot more fun of a bike, honestly. But low weight is a high priority for me, so that is a big part of my dislike for the ST's.
I can tell you, like everyone said: it will be an awesome freeway bike, and it will run forever. Should be good two-up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My friend that I work with has one. He's put over 50k on it and the only thing he had to do besides oil changes was a water pump. He has risers, a givi trunk, highway pegs and some other goodies. He likes it but has grown sick of it lately. It's a lot faster than my bike I can tell you that. But it's very big. Personally the style does nothing for me and he has two brothers exhaust and it just sounds lousy. But it's very reliable and he takes his wife everywhere on it. Great on the highway too. He is looking at Harley streetglides now because he finally wants a cruiser (he's over 60 now). If you like the style of the ST they can be had for a great price. A shop here has a brand new 2012 and they are asking $8000. It's a lot of bike for that kind of coin I think. Feel free to ask me anything else about it. I've basically parked next to and rode with an ST for 7 years now.

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.