Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I wanted to hard-mount my saddlebags to my motorcycle and get away from having them hang over the rear fender. I wanted to do this without spending a lot of money. I know there is the Easy Brackets Saddlebag Supports for like $150 but I was looking for something less expensive. I also heard that those brackets rattle, so I wanted to avoid that. I didn't want to hard-mount the bags straight to Saddlebag supports because then there would only be 2 points of contact. The Easy Bracket uses 4. So this is what I came up with.

Bought 2 pieces of sheet metal that I trimmed down to fit behind the saddlebags.

One square rod was enough to make the spacers.

Checked to make sure the size is good, the used some J-B Weld, then clamped it together. Giving it 24 hours to completely cure.

The next step is to drill the holes for the bolts.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Looking forward to the finish on this. I have some old semi-rigid bags I'd like to use and this looks like a good idea to modify and mount 'm for easy on-off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I drilled the holes and did a test fit.

When I did the test fit, I found that the spacer was a little bigger than I thought, so I need to get slightly longer bolts, but everything lines up. Once I have the longer bolts and everything fits, then I'll attach the saddle bags.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so moving slowly but surely. On my way home today, I stopped by the hardware store. For the top bolts that will be going into the bike, I had bought 8mm-1.25 x 60mm bolts. Due to the slightly thicker spacers, the 60mm bolts wouldn't bite so I found 70mm. So, I placed a larger washer onto the bolt. This will be on the inside of the saddle bag to help prevent the bolt from pulling through the saddle bag. The it is placed through the mount and spacer. Then a rubber washer to protect the chrome in the event I take the saddle bags off. the 70mm bolts more than bit, so these will work perfectly.

Long work days this week, but hoping to get this finished as soon as possible. The next post should show the completed project. I do believe I will be happy with the final product.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I did similar with my bags and cutting boards. Here's how I got mine to " bite"

Without the bags... Put in the front bolt enough to catch a few threads, not tight really.
Then, put in just the rear bolt and tighten all the way to hold the alignment.
Now Remove front bolt, then put the saddlebag mount with the front bolt and you should get it to bite. The bag and mount will have to be at an angle up to miss the back bolt. Once the front bolt is in well but not too tight, remove the back bolt, rotate bag down and assemble with rear bolt.

I know it's a lot of steps but it seems to be the only way I can get my front bolt to align and catch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did similar with my bags and cutting boards. Here's how I got mine to " bite"

Without the bags... Put in the front bolt enough to catch a few threads, not tight really.
Then, put in just the rear bolt and tighten all the way to hold the alignment.
Now Remove front bolt, then put the saddlebag mount with the front bolt and you should get it to bite. The bag and mount will have to be at an angle up to miss the back bolt. Once the front bolt is in well but not too tight, remove the back bolt, rotate bag down and assemble with rear bolt.

I know it's a lot of steps but it seems to be the only way I can get my front bolt to align and catch.

I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK, so finally tried to get back to the bags. Tried taking one bolt out at a time like suggested but I still couldn't get the new bolts to bite. So I knocked off the spacers and gave I a try without them. I'm am going to need to find something smaller for a spacer. Also on the one of the bags, I drilled the holes wrong. I think they were close enough that it would have been fine with the space because there was wiggle room but without the spacer there is a gap between the bag and bike. I think I'll still be able to make it work with a smaller spacer. For now they are on but I want the spacer because I don't like how this looks with out it.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1399943023.120771.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1399943038.826468.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1399943051.161079.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1399943060.595851.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1399943069.523996.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1399943078.414635.jpg

This last photo is the shot where the holes are off slightly and that's as close as I can get the bag to the body of the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Rather than fight the bolts and trying to get every thing to line up, here is a suggestion that many of us here have done.

Drill you bolt holes oversize to 5/16ths inch then run the bolts from inside the fender out so the thread are on the outside.

Careful not to drill into your tire (don't laugh, it's been done)

Never have to try and line up fender bolts again. Hang whatever you want on the bolts and secure with a nut.

Still recommend only pulling one bolt at a time if you ever have to, usually you never will, but it is a lot easier if you do.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I just remounted my boulevard bags today. They're really nice but I need a new snap on one and the buckle almost came off. A couple small bolts fixed that. But luckily I had help w mine. I put the front bolt in and tightened it a little. Then ran the back bolt. I also removed the sissy bar and rear seat so that probably helped a llittle. The spacers for my bags are only about a quarter of an inch think. Just use some washers and you should be fine. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts