Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined the evergrowing list of members with HK3s this weekend. Swagfu and I liked each others pipes so much, that we traded at the GLR yesterday! Now, not only is my bike considerably louder :D , it also has a lot more get-up-and-go than before. The bike feels healthier... if that makes any sense.

Anyways, here are my thoughts about the sound in comparison to my buddy's HD Softail with V&H Longshots (keep in mind that both he and I have not debaffled our pipes):

1. Revving the engine while in a parked position, the volume is approximately the same. Different pitches (HD's lower), but about the same volume.

2. The HKs are louder while Idling.

3. HKs are way louder in 1st and 2nd gear.

4. Between 40 & 50mph, the bikes are equally as loud. The Harley V&Hs have a nice deep rumble, while the HKs have a great brassy bark.

5. Popping the throttle a bit while sitting in an intersection... HK3s.

I also noticed today that I'm getting a lot more looks while riding by people. Most of them were probably more mad then impressed though...

-Slim

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
And you forgot the fact that the 3"HK's Just look cool on your bike.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Slim,

I am so glad yo like the pipes. The are loud for sure. They also looked bad A$$ on your bike. Kind of helps to complete the image.

I love the Roadhouse pipe. It ads a nice smooth look to my bike and the sound is at a level I can really appreciate.

Shooter, I checked out the maggie ride and I will not be able to attend that one. Keep me posted on when you and sled want to ride.

Thanks again Slim, It was great meeting you.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, they're rad, and I really enjoyed testing them out Sunday evening against Art's bike.

Shooterrex, if I do decide to get rid of them at the end of the season (still debating it), you'll be hearing from me.

-Slim

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I am not sure which one ads more power. I know that the HKs were pretty good in that department. The RH pipes feel good too. I do not ride very aggressively to give an honest opinion on which ones seems to add more power, but just going by sound, I would've said the HKs. Maybe it is a mental thing though. Plus, if you like loud pipes you may ride a little harder to hear them more often. Maybe that gives the impression that thay are adding more power?

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I experienced no yellowing with the smooth shields the short time they were on there. Of course though, the bike was properly rejetted.

With the serrated shields made of some other type of metal, they turned yellowish-brown right away on me(I had them installed in February). The cooler the temperature is outside, the worse the color will be. It's the metal's reaction between the heat of the engine vs. whatever the temp is. Also, I noted that as spring and summer came, and the contrast of the two wasn't as great, the coloring wasn't as drastic. Hope this all helps.

From what I've heard, you can powder-coat these shields for like $25 a piece, and it eliminates all of this. I have no idea where this can be done, as I never looked into it.

-Slim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts