Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time and need some advice. Have had my C50 for about a year (my first bike ever) and plan on taking it on a road trip (first time ever) to see my boys at college (4 hours, 180 miles away). I've put around 6000 miles on it since i bought it last year, including some highway trips 90 mins one way, to date.

I want to be prepared, so any helpful advice on what to do, what to take etc is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Just do it. The best advice is gather your own experiences and build from there.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Pack light and use the bag as a backrest. Hydrate along the ride - wind will dehydrate you so pack water. You will may get worse gas mileage than you are used to if you are on the slab at high speed for extended periods so don't pass up opportunities to fuel up.

Frequent rest stops are good and will pay dividends the next day :)

If you have freeway pegs try alternating your foot placement - one on, the other off and switch. Helps you not lock up.

Watch the weather reports and plan accordingly - if there is the smallest chance of rain pack rain gear.

Take a good tool kit plus a bit of oil - and most important give your ride route to someone and check in regularly.

Ride safe and check in afterwards to let us know how it went.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
26,144 Posts
assuming its an overniter...pack lite...you're only 200 miles from home...rain gear....depending where you are riding, temps...dress in layers. Keep it simple... credit card...money...the right attitude..you are on their turf...not the other way around. Have fun.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Standard pre-ride check, cell phone, roadside assistance rider on the insurance policy; kick it in gear and go.

Good hunting

·
Registered
23,778 Posts
All good advice given.
Take your time. If you are worried about running behind, your mind isn't on the happenings around you.
If you are behind just call your sons and let them know so they don't worry as you did while they were growing up.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Is never the wrong answer for a 2008 with 11k miles?
Um, it isn't the BEST answer...
I don't know if I would obsess over it for a trip that in reality is only burning two tanks of gas. But 6 years is a long time to go without checking something that could leave you stranded, and has done that to others.
As to your original post: check all the fluids, lights, tires, and throw some raingear in the bags. If it is an overnighter as opposed to a day trip, pack light. I just got back from 12 days on the road, and as usual, I could have packed less. 1 bag with clothes, I put tools, rain gear and zip ties in the saddlebags. Oh, and a little cash and a credit card. Has worked out ok that way for years.
Think of your trip as a two tank ride. You'll be fine.:wayhappy:

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
My first trip was about the same. 200 miles to Panama city beach FL. Been there dozens of times in a cage.

Don't sweat it, it's just a short hop. BUT,,,make sure you are ready for the elements.

When I was about half way to the beach I realized I had no protection from the elements other than my rain gear. Kind of a strange feeling to be without a roof over my head.

Don't take your eyes off the car in front of you when in traffic. Remain calm if the unexpected happens. We still can't whip a cage if we get cut off. Stay away from heavy traffic unless you ride in it every day. I don't see much traffic, so it unnerves me.

No question about it. GREASE those splines. Only takes a few hours, for a first timer.

You will enjoy this trip. :)

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, one year next month - I doubt that the original owner did it since he had original rubber still on it and it was completely stock.

Im assuming there is the info here on the list to do it yourself, so ill either go that route or get it done after she wakes up from her long Winter nap....

Always great info here, thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It is a quick scoot in our area. But make sure that you get the splines lubed or do them yourself. The only part that you need to order is the oil/grease seal. It is hard to remove without wrecking it. Or should I say it is easier to remove if you wreck it.

Let's just say "I found out the hard way that it wasn't done."

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
I recommend annually unless you are in a coastal/high salt water area, then maybe twice a year.

The issue is that they came from the factory either lacking sufficient grease or none at all. Corrosion weakens the splines and without proper lube AT SOME POINT they fail.

Unfortunatly there has been a number of threads where spine failure has happen on a trip, away from home.

If you have never lubed them and have time and resource to get it done before you leave, I say do it. If you don't, roll the dice and hope for the best. The worst that can happen is that you will try to pull away from a stop and the driveshaft will spin and the rear wheel won't. You'll have to find a way to get you and the bike home. A lot worse things could happen. But it has happened.

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
Is never the wrong answer for a 2008 with 11k miles?

Nope, and as a matter fact, if it hasn't dissolved yet, they did a fine job lubing it at the factory. its slathered in moly, or is supposed to be. Some vols came without!, which created some issues.

It is not something worth worrying about. Ride... i would check it once when you change a tire, every 50k afterward.

My advice... Go ride, have a good time. Its a short ride and you'll have nothing but fun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.