Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I haven't been around much here for the last almost a yr because of several major surgeries on my foot trying to keep from loosing it but all has gone well. Everything is recovering well and no infections at this time. My Insurance has paid out $1.3mil over the last 9 months. Really glad we have the insurance too...
Well a couple weeks ago the wife and I had a planned trip to the Big Bend. We go about 45mi away from SA just the other side of Hondo and my bike started loosing power with billows of grey smoke coming out so bad the cars behind had to completely stop to let it clear. The oil pressure was fluctuating from 60 to nearly zero, oil was coming out of the air filter and still smoking when we got it to O'Reilleys (sp). We got it towed back home, lost the two motel rooms we had reserved but at least we were home. I purchased the extended warranty, so I felt comfortable until while talking with them every other word out of their mouth was "if it's a covered expense". Well anyway, the whole motor is covered and I will be going up from the TC88 to a 95" or for an extra grand I can get the 103 with cams and a tuner. I believe I will be going the later as this is the cheapest upgrade to a badazz motor I can get for $1K. What you guys think?

Steve

·
Registered
238 Posts
well there is little to no dought that the 103 is prob one of the best engiens they have made so aye id go for it my self good luck with witch ever way ya go best wishes:wayhappy:

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
Great to hear from you again BB. Glad your foot is healing up too. Sounds like you are well over due for that engine upgrade. I can't help you with that but glad you are back in the saddle.

·
Registered
23,543 Posts
Good to hear from you again BB. Glad your getting better.
Don't think you can go wrong with the upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
25,580 Posts
welcome back...glad to hear things healthwise are better... regardless of what you get...ride safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
21,181 Posts
Glad you're back, Steve!!!! Wishing you continued good health!!!

Now, what's this about a failed motor in a Harley??? We were given to understand they were the pinnacle of motorcycling technology and could not only raise the dead, but also walk on water and feed the masses with two packs of sardines and 5 saltine crackers!!!

I'd stick with the 95. The 103 would be awesome, but you're still dealing with the 5 speed transmission (the gearing is set up for the less powerful motor).

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
My ONLY concern with going to a 103 is that the jury is still out on whether or not Harley has solved the compensator problems associated with bigger motors.

Never heard of comp problems until they went to the 96 CI. They have had 3 upgraded compensators and no one is sure if the latest one is a confirmed fix.

Whatever engine you go with, make sure you get the latest comp.

I'm glad Skrap thinks your the only one who ever puffed a motor.

Oh wait.................why did he get rid of his C50 ? :wayhappy:

Good to hear from you again, don't be such a stranger.

Reactions: dsmitty

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Good to see you back on the forum Steve. I'll be heading out your way for the Harvest Vintage Rally in Luckenbach, Oct 17-18. I bring my vintage Royal Enfield to the Show.

rv

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
Well, I haven't been around much here for the last almost a yr because of several major surgeries on my foot trying to keep from loosing it but all has gone well. Everything is recovering well and no infections at this time. My Insurance has paid out $1.3mil over the last 9 months. Really glad we have the insurance too...

Well a couple weeks ago the wife and I had a planned trip to the Big Bend. We go about 45mi away from SA just the other side of Hondo and my bike started loosing power with billows of grey smoke coming out so bad the cars behind had to completely stop to let it clear. The oil pressure was fluctuating from 60 to nearly zero, oil was coming out of the air filter and still smoking when we got it to O'Reilleys (sp). We got it towed back home, lost the two motel rooms we had reserved but at least we were home. I purchased the extended warranty, so I felt comfortable until while talking with them every other word out of their mouth was "if it's a covered expense". Well anyway, the whole motor is covered and I will be going up from the TC88 to a 95" or for an extra grand I can get the 103 with cams and a tuner. I believe I will be going the later as this is the cheapest upgrade to a badazz motor I can get for $1K. What you guys think?

Steve

Go with the most reasonable option. Hot motor = increases chance of a repeat of your last experience. I can always jack up a motor, but do I need a jacked up motor. I would get the coolest running motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.