Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2003 Volusia with 2700 miles it seems to take at least 15 min to warm up and when I go to 2nd gear or from higher gears to lower gear it coughs for fuel and hesitates. I rode 70 miles yesterday and it seemed to run fine until slowing down to 25 mph. then after it was turned off for approx. 1/2 hr it had to be choked to keep running. any suggestions? I also put some seafoam in tank. thank you :wayhappy::bigoops:

·
Administrator
52,353 Posts
Low miles means the bike has been sitting...a lot!

I'd remove the carburetor, physically clean it, clean or change the air filter, check the valve adjustment, and change the spark plugs, change the motor oil.
Prolly not a bad idea to change the coolant while the fuel tank is off, either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! so I am taking to the shop to get oil change I will tell them to do tune up and change filters and carb cleanup. thanks again!!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Also throw some Seafoam in the gas tank after doing the rest of maintenance. Consider rejetting the carb. After I had the carb rejetted when I had my Volusia it started without using the choke (fuel enrichment circuit) most times.

Ed

·
Registered
150 Posts
i spoke with the guy i bought it from and the carb was cleaned last year. still need to clean?
If its been sitting for the last year and not ridden probably. I just got an 05 and was comparing it against a shadow and vstar 950 and 1100 but everyone up until about 2010 used carbs where the C50 went to FI in 2005, which is exactly why I bought it I didn't want to wind up with a bunch of carb problems from the bike sitting, I had that with my last bike (S40)

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Jets are made to be flown. If they sit in a hangar, they have all kinds of problems. If they are flown regularly, they have much less problems. Seems motorcycles are much the same.

There are plenty of guides on this forum to help you do just about anything you want to help your bike along. I suggest paying yourself $75 per hour to work on your bike. Then, take that money and do something fun with it (or add some mods). Most things seem pretty straight forward to work on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
rebel#1863

i posted this earlier in wrong thread. i purchased a 2003 volusia with 2700 miles on it it takes at least 15 minutes to warm up in 55-60 degree weather then runs fine except at low rpm at 20 mph it wants to buck and hesitate. i ran some seafoam in it but have only ran 1/4 tank after fill up. it had 1/4 tank of old gas from prev owner. also after letting bike sit for approx 30 min went to restart and had to choke to keep running. any help? :bigoops:

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
2700 miles on an 11 year old bike, previously known bad gas? You're going to have to pull the tank and the carb and get it cleaned out for starters...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
would running the whole tank out and putting higher octane help before i do carb work? not mech inclined to do it yet and not enough $$$$ to take to shop lol!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
if not mechanically inclined, i would run some seafoam again with the next tank of gas, but i would be very surprised if it fixed the issue. like skrap said, that carb is going to need a seriously cleaning at the least.

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
You can dump straight battery acid in the tank if you want. It won't do a bit of good. There is no quick fix for neglect.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
670 Posts
I wouldn't take it to the shop for carb work. They will charge you out the rear. Instead, do a little reading and do it yourself. You'll learn a lot while saving money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts