Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consumer Reports report:

Many motorcycle enthusiasts portrait certain manufacturers as being the best. Now the "best" could mean in the riding experience, economic factors, or resale friendliness. This article speaks about the 5 biggest brands and a definite area of improvement: reported problems in new motorcycles.

BMW and HD were the two top brands in the "Percentage of Bikes, Bought New From 2009-2012, Where Problems Were Reported". The graph shows a sizable drop down to #3 (Honda), followed closely by Kawasaki and Yamaha. Suzuki is apparently not included in the listings as they only studied the 5 biggest brands.

Is Harley-Davidson the Worst Motorcycle Money Can Buy? (HOG)

I find this rather interesting. I would have thought BMW and HD to be a lot lower in those standings.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The title of his article is misleading as he doesn't bash HD and BMW fares worse on CR reporting. Also, the majority of the repair items they categorized were fixed for less than $200. Interesting though that HD brand loyalty was off the chart as compared to others.

I think the answer to that, in part, can be summed up by Yogurt in that iconic movie Spaceballs - "ya want to know the secret to the universe? Moichandising!" walk into most HD dealers and there will be as much showroom space allocated to 'stuff' as there is to the bikes. Ask advertisers and they will tell you that the majority of auto adds are not aimed at getting new buyers, but to make existing customers feel good about their purchase so as to increase brand loyalty.

Harley makes great bikes - but they really kiss ass on marketing.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I would imagine the more you spend on a bike the more likely you are to report a minor problem, there is also a lot more can go wrong on a big tourer or cruiser.

e.g. my coffee machine cuts out every time I turn on the TV:biglaugh:

Harley brand loyalty is a result of the greatest marketing in the world, I went to our bike show last year and even though they are grossly overpriced in Oz everyone was drooling over them, even non riders wanted to sit on them.

All the other brands clearly did not have the same impact.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i dont get that either, this must be for cruisers only or something? Because the GSXR is about the most popular sport bike on the road. And the only thing that does suprise me about Harley is that is wasnt the worst, BMW does surprise me but i dont know anything about their bikes, just cars. As for the brand loyalty its like i phone users. you just cant convince them they are paying twice as much for the same or lesser phone (bike). Of course 90% of them have never even ridden another bike, they are afraid to.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I dunno, my experience with B-mers is with the old old rigs and they seem to be plagued with the bane of all Deutsche Mechaniker...electrical issues almost always stemming from bad grounds in impossible to get at places.

But yeah, I gotta agree, the more expensive the rig the more "minor" the issues an owner is willing/eager to complain about...and the more likely the owner has no clue as to how to fix said issues :p

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
"You can have my Harley touring bike when you pry it from my cold dead fingers", oh excuse me that's my 1911a I was talking about. Loyal to Harley? I never thought of it but I sure enjoy touring with mine. I enjoyed my C50, but to be honest, I was not as loyal nor was it as much fun as the Harley for touring. My C50 was a great cruising bike, but only an okay touring bike. Until Indian or Victory or Yamaha or triumph offer up something close, or mother Harley screws the pooch with dual cooled or the ugly factory customs for 2014, I am happy to say I am Harley loyal.

One thing I can tell about mother Harley in 2014, the 50s+ demographic is gone for them, they are shooting for the 30-40 year old demographic. Us grandpa's just get to ride what we can and live with the awful color schemes and terrible rear fender treatments. At least Harley of today is no longer stuck in the '60s. I think they do not know who they want to be when they grow up or they have taken the engineers out of the equation and are now designing by sales numbers. Either way they lose. Hopefully I am wrong, I frequently am but I stopped keeping track.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
What's wrong with water and air cooling? If it helps keep the heat in the heads down it can only benefit performance, Look at VW, heck even Porsche doesn't rely on air cooling alone any more.

·
Super Moderator
8,879 Posts
This is going to sound odd, but ... if these figures came from somebody other than Consumer Reports, I might take them a smidgen more seriously. CR tends, IMO, to whine about stuff that other people simply understand and accept. Eg. Of course a pickup truck is going to ride differently than a car, and probably won't have as quiet a passenger compartment, either. It's a truck, fer Pete's sake. You know, a work vehicle.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Harley stopped making trucks in the 50's or 60's, with the demise of the pan head, :biglaugh:

Face it. Harley's loyalties stems from the bad asz image of that 50's and 60's era now everybody wants to emulate that image.
HD lost a lot of their following during the bowling mentality AMF era when they got the Ford reputation of Fix or repair daily.
Now their bikes are a bit better but still suffer from over engineering that drives their cost up. Unfortunately with over engineering comes more things that can and will go wrong and break down.
Recently I was in a Harley dealership and I was looking at a Limited. Don't get me wrong it's a beautiful bike with every imaginable feature! The salesman kept telling me about all the changes and improvements made on the 2014 model. But I just kept thinking why did all these things have to be improved on and who's going to pay to fix all these changes when they don't quit work?
As much as I would like to be a bad Asz again (I've owned 3 in my life time) I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on a $29,000.00 Ford. Unless of course it has an F150 in it's name.
I guess there are a lot of people who just have to be cool no matter what the practicality and facts reveal!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm not a fan of Consumer Reports. I've totally disagreed with their opinion on the the few things they reported on that I happen to know a little something about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts