Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, I recently had surgery to repair an aortic aneurysm that flaired up back on April 16th. Scared the sh*t out of me and the wife. Got a stent put in and spent three weeks recovering.

All was good and I went back to work on Monday of this past week. Monday was good, Tuesday was good and I went to work as normal on Wednesday morning. Walked from the garage to my office and started to feel some familiar pain in my abdomen. Maybe I overdid the walk. Sat at my desk for a while and the pain didn’t subside. Laid down on my office couch, still no relief. This was not a good sign.

Called the nurse wife and then called 911. I made a dramatic exit from the office on a stretcher and was take to Mass General with full lights and sirens (Please get out of the way when you see an ambulance behind you. Someone could be dying and seconds count more than your precious phone call or text).

Long story short, my repair was leaking and coming apart. After a few minutes in the ER, I was whisked up to the ICU and put on more machines and tubes than I have in my shop. After getting the blood pressure down and doing more tests, the decision was made to open me up from chest to pelvis and replace all the old plumbing.

I’m now back in the ICU recovering and with minimal discomfort. They sat me up today and even kicked my a** to walk around the floor. (Slave drivers). I’m doing a lot better than many expected, but will have a long period of recovery ahead. Not sure when I’ll get a chance to ride next, but if I do, it will be a very short season. But I guess that’s better than no season.

Be safe out there and pray for all us old riders that keep breaking down physically.

BTW: I will be posting a story in the Rider Down section as soon as I get more details, but the night after I was admitted to the ICU, they brought in a young rider from down on the Cape. He hit a pothole and was thrown 100’ and into a concrete barrier. Everything from his waist down is totally messed up and he is facing the real possibility of being paralyzed. Sad part is that it’s a young couple with no insurance. More info to come including a Go Fund Me link, but pray for them in the meantime. Makes my story seem like stitches in a cut thumb.

Peace to all my bothers and sisters on the VR Forum.

·
Premium Member
3,627 Posts
Wow ! You must have a cat as your alter ego :D
So thankful you payed attention & called 911. Will keep you in my prayers for a good recovery. Also will pray for the young rider you spoke of.

·
Registered
19,716 Posts
Sorry to hear all of this. Of course prayers have continued for you and the others will be added to the list. Here's to both of you for a full and speedy recovery.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Get better Kurt! You have a new chapter in your life you need to live with BBQ Joe.
Wait, what?:surprise:

Dammit Kurt.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Well, heck, Kurt. Here I thought you were well on the mend!

Do what the slave drivers tell you -- walking post-surgery is beneficial in a jillion ways -- and get better.

<<Gentle Hugs>>

·
Administrator
51,657 Posts
Prayer offered for Your complete recovery.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As many of you know, I recently had surgery to repair an aortic aneurysm that flaired up back on April 16th. Scared the sh*t out of me and the wife. Got a stent put in and spent three weeks recovering.

All was good and I went back to work on Monday of this past week. Monday was good, Tuesday was good and I went to work as normal on Wednesday morning. Walked from the garage to my office and started to feel some familiar pain in my abdomen. Maybe I overdid the walk. Sat at my desk for a while and the pain didn’t subside. Laid down on my office couch, still no relief. This was not a good sign.

Called the nurse wife and then called 911. I made a dramatic exit from the office on a stretcher and was take to Mass General with full lights and sirens (Please get out of the way when you see an ambulance behind you. Someone could be dying and seconds count more than your precious phone call or text).

Long story short, my repair was leaking and coming apart. After a few minutes in the ER, I was whisked up to the ICU and put on more machines and tubes than I have in my shop. After getting the blood pressure down and doing more tests, the decision was made to open me up from chest to pelvis and replace all the old plumbing.

I’m now back in the ICU recovering and with minimal discomfort. They sat me up today and even kicked my a** to walk around the floor. (Slave drivers). I’m doing a lot better than many expected, but will have a long period of recovery ahead. Not sure when I’ll get a chance to ride next, but if I do, it will be a very short season. But I guess that’s better than no season.

Be safe out there and pray for all us old riders that keep breaking down physically.

BTW: I will be posting a story in the Rider Down section as soon as I get more details, but the night after I was admitted to the ICU, they brought in a young rider from down on the Cape. He hit a pothole and was thrown 100’ and into a concrete barrier. Everything from his waist down is totally messed up and he is facing the real possibility of being paralyzed. Sad part is that it’s a young couple with no insurance. More info to come including a Go Fund Me link, but pray for them in the meantime. Makes my story seem like stitches in a cut thumb.

Peace to all my bothers and sisters on the VR Forum.
Hey Kurt, Praying for your recovery. Feel better.

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
Always pay attention to the warning signs..........young or old. I've had so many different trips to the ER and the last one was a "call 911 NOW" lights and sirens. Not fun......heal fast.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts