Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You nailed it Nate!

Pretty much what I would think and most likely say.
O yeah. Thats exactly what I thought, and think. But cannot say, because it is my Son in Law. :devilish:

·
Registered
15 Posts
If he says he's ridden before, why don't you take him somewhere safe like a school parking lot and test him out? If he has experience you will be able to tell quickly I would think. Could be a way to gain someone to ride with. You could probably convince him to buy his own bike.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ya know. He can rent a MC in any major city area. I would not, do this. It would be best for SIL to take a MSF refresh course first. The liability is really very high.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
I say let him ride one. The realtionship with him and your daughter are worth far more than any machine, two-wheeled or more.

I've loaned a bike and I've ridden others' bikes. I even let BirdDog park a rental car in my driveway and take my spare bike for a 3 day business trip through MA/RI/CT.

Reactions: NateDog 62

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I say let him ride one. The realtionship with him and your daughter are worth far more than any machine, two-wheeled or more.

I've loaned a bike and I've ridden others' bikes. I even let BirdDog park a rental car in my driveway and take my spare bike for a 3 day business trip through MA/RI/CT.
It's not really the value of the machine, that I see as the major problem. Children have a habit of blaming their parents when they get hurt. So I provide the bike and the opportunity to ride it. He eats a Semi at about 70mph. Wonder who my daughter might decide is at fault. I doubt it will be real good for our relationship even if she doesn't outright blame me.

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
30,145 Posts
I agree with Nate on this one. I would probably be more likely to loan the bike to a random stranger than my own SIL. If the random stranger kills himself, you have to deal with insurance to replace the bike and can then move on with life. If the SIL kills himself, you have to deal with the daughter for the rest of your life. The stakes are far too high to be cavalier about it. I doubt Nate's daughter would be mad at him for not loaning him a bike, but even if she is, she'll get over it a lot quicker than losing her husband.

·
Super Moderator
23,799 Posts
give her a list of places he can rent one if they are local...then it gives him the option to either rent one to ride or pass on the whole idea which I'll take a wild shot and say he probably won't want to rent one...

·
Registered
422 Posts
I know this isn’t really the same situation but I’ll share it.
When my daughter became pregnant almost 3 years ago I stopped taking her for rides on my Volusia. She wasn’t too happy about my decision and when she asked me why I wouldn’t take her for a ride any more I explained that it’s not only her that will be riding with me but also her baby. While she has a choice the baby doesn’t and I not comfortable with that. Since my grandson has been born I still won’t take her for a ride. My reasoning is that her son needs his mommy more then she needs the risk of riding on a motorcycle.
When my grandson was 6 months old his father committed suicide and I think that was an eye opener for my daughter about why I wasn’t taking her for a ride.
It’s been a year and a half since then and now me not taking her for a ride is starting to become a bit of a running joke between us.
Loni: Hey dad, when are you going to take me for a ride?
Me: Not sure, how many more babies are you planning to have?
Loni: Awwwww, but daddy! (Said with a pout)

On the positive side she has since met very nice young man.

Good luck with you decision.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I had to say no to taking my friends for a ride as a passenger, even on my own bike. Explanations are various, but mostly revolve around ATGAT and the fact that I'm taking responsibility for another person's life and wellbeing, while entrusting the passenger to act in a safe and responsible manner. If S I L wants to ride, he better make it a priority in his life, and prepare properly, otherwise the consequences can be dire, for everyone involved.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts