Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's say you have a son in law. Let's say that son in law has discovered you own two motorcycles. Let's say he has told your wife he would like to go riding with you, and she laid the groundwork. Now he has told you he would like to go riding with you. He would however have to borrow one of your bikes. He has a motercycle endorsement, but hasn't ridden since college, he is now 38. Let's say............. Well what do you say?...... Yes or No....... Help me here folks. Cause I think I'm about to become unpopular. :eek: :oops::p

·
Super Moderator
30,144 Posts
I'll only loan my bike out to someone that I've ridden with quite a bit and trust. There's maybe a dozen people in the world that fit the bill. If he hasn't ridden in, what, 16 years, I'd want him to knock the rust off a bit before letting him. Maybe suggest that he take the MSF Basic Rider Course before you'll consider it, then set up an easy ride to begin with.

·
Super Moderator
23,799 Posts
tough call...me...I never borrow or ride anyones mc...would have a hard time w/myself if something happened...did take a members Nomad out once for a short spin just to see what the ride was like...as for letting someone else ride mine...its about trust I guess...and riding experience...in your case, probably would let him ride the c50, not the HD...he'd be w/you, at 38, would think lkess likely to do anything stupid like a 16 year old would do...he has ridden a time back...would suggest to him you stay on back country roads...good luck on your final call...get the feeling tho if you do let him, and he remembers what it felt like, you may inherit a new riding partner, w/him getting his own ride of course.

·
Administrator
55,495 Posts
Want great family relationships?
You'd better take the S_I_L out riding and cement a lifetime of trust.

Reactions: NateDog 62

·
Super Moderator
63,194 Posts
How long has it been since you rode before you got into it again?

Tough having someone who hasn't ridden in awhile to start again on your insurance and paid for bike ;)

2nd thought, if he wants to ride he should get his own bike to start out on as well as going forward from there.

·
Super Moderator
23,799 Posts
could always just tell him..."Its not that I don't trust you, moreso ...I don't trust all the other cagers out there who aren't paying attention to the mc ridiers sharing the road w/them...if something happens to me when I'm out riding...its on me regardless of who's fault it is...if something happens to you in a similar situation, I would feel its still on me for setting up the situation"...lame excuse but pretty much forces him to say...f#ck it, easier to just get my own mc...and not have to put you in a situation you're not comfortable with...I'm sure he would understand having ridden before that you're not comfortable w/the situation and I feel should have taken you aside and asked the question and kept it between just the 2 of you...its also possible the wife isn't crazy about him riding again, and if something should happen, in her eyes, again its your fault...sounds like a damn if you do/damn if you don't situation.

·
Super Moderator
4,663 Posts
Nate, the last sentence said it all on how you feel...plus the " groundwork " was already initiated by wifey and now the wheels are turning. No pun intended.
I'm with Beez, call it quit, say there's to much liability and leave that scenario at that....or coach the new rider to the MSF course for reinforce safety and confidence.. Its a tough call, but can be ended early without his butt hurting.... Or go all in and support the only ride? What about the next ride? And next?? You get it. Good luck...
Keep the kangaroo court posted...

Reactions: NateDog 62

·
Registered
42 Posts
ONE time a long time ago and it got dropped, NEVER again!!!! LOL,,,mmmm but SIL,,,man TOUGH call,, but im like DC,,I would NEVER ask someone to ride their MC sooo,,,,mm GL with that!!! LOL

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'll only loan my bike out to someone that I've ridden with quite a bit and trust. There's maybe a dozen people in the world that fit the bill. If he hasn't ridden in, what, 16 years, I'd want him to knock the rust off a bit before letting him. Maybe suggest that he take the MSF Basic Rider Course before you'll consider it, then set up an easy ride to begin with.
Want great family relationships?
You'd better take the S_I_L out riding and cement a lifetime of trust.
Just say there's too much liability involved and leave it at that. You don't want your daughter's husband and grandkid's father living on disability from your insurance policy for the rest of your life.
could always just tell him..."Its not that I don't trust you, moreso ...I don't trust all the other cagers out there who aren't paying attention to the mc ridiers sharing the road w/them...if something happens to me when I'm out riding...its on me regardless of who's fault it is...if something happens to you in a similar situation, I would feel its still on me for setting up the situation"...lame excuse but pretty much forces him to say...f#ck it, easier to just get my own mc...and not have to put you in a situation you're not comfortable with...I'm sure he would understand having ridden before that you're not comfortable w/the situation and I feel should have taken you aside and asked the question and kept it between just the 2 of you...its also possible the wife isn't crazy about him riding again, and if something should happen, in her eyes, again its your fault...sounds like a damn if you do/damn if you don't situation.
Nate, the last sentence said it all on how you feel...plus the " groundwork " was already initiated by wifey and now the wheels are turning. No pun intended.
I'm with Beez, call it quit, say there's to much liability and leave that scenario at that....or coach the new rider to the MSF course for reinforce safety and confidence.. Its a tough call, but can be ended early without his butt hurting.... Or go all in and support the only ride? What about the next ride? And next?? You get it. Good luck...
Keep the kangaroo court posted...
ONE time ago and it got dropped, NEVER again!!!! LOL
Well I think the votes are in and the no's have it. Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna have to go with the group. I'm gonna have to say no. There are just too many reasons to say no and not nearly enough to say yes. My popularity will just have to suffer. ;) It's more the responsibility/liability thing than the money or damage to the bike. If he gets run over, or he just runs into something that's one thing. But what if there is some kind of mechanical failure of the bike, that causes the accident. I can see a lot of blame both self inflicted and other, headed my way if that happened. Chains break, tires blow, engines seize. Motorcycles are dangerous. Thats just a fact of life.

·
Super Moderator
23,799 Posts
he should understand I have to assume...he has to know all too well the many things that could go wrong and not caused by him and then you would be the one dealing with the good, the bad and the ugly. I would tell the wife, your daughter, your concerns and hope she relays the concerns to him... hopefully he'll understand your delimna and makes it easier on you by just telling you he reconsidered and really rather not chance anything happening to the bike and will pass on his idea. If he doesn't understand...then thats on him and anyone else who doesn't understand your concerns.

·
Super Moderator
4,663 Posts
Any updates?? Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any updates?? Best of luck.
Well I think the votes are in and the no's have it. Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna have to go with the group. I'm gonna have to say no. There are just too many reasons to say no and not nearly enough to say yes. My popularity will just have to suffer. ;) It's more the responsibility/liability thing than the money or damage to the bike. If he gets run over, or he just runs into something that's one thing. But what if there is some kind of mechanical failure of the bike, that causes the accident. I can see a lot of blame both self inflicted and other, headed my way if that happened. Chains break, tires blow, engines seize. Motorcycles are dangerous. Thats just a fact of life.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
he should understand I have to assume...he has to know all too well the many things that could go wrong and not caused by him and then you would be the one dealing with the good, the bad and the ugly. I would tell the wife, your daughter, your concerns and hope she relays the concerns to him... hopefully he'll understand your delimna and makes it easier on you by just telling you he reconsidered and really rather not chance anything happening to the bike and will pass on his idea. If he doesn't understand...then thats on him and anyone else who doesn't understand your concerns.
Yep. My motorcycles my rules. :) Hopefully it will fade away, if I don't set up a ride. But if it is brought back up, I've made up my mind. They will just have to deal with it.

Reactions: DCinCT

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't loan my bike (or my guitars) for reasons already well established in previous posts.
A good approach may be to explain not just why it's not a good idea to lend a bike, but also the other side of that coin...
Why it's a good idea not to borrow a bike, either.
Two down sides do not make an up side. :)

It might save some hard feelings.

Reactions: duglaura

·
Registered
20,598 Posts
I don't loan my bike , my tractor or my tools to anyone, for any reason. My wife on the otherhand is negotiable....

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't loan my bike (or my guitars) for reasons already well established in previous posts.
A good approach may be to explain not just why it's not a good idea to lend a bike, but also the other side of that coin...
Why it's a good idea not to borrow a bike, either.
Two down sides do not make an up side. :)

It might save some hard feelings.
What? Wait...I think its a great idea to borrow someones bike, or other cherished personal belonging, (like a guitar). You get to use it for free, and if you break it you can say it wasn't your fault, and refuse to pay for it. And as a bonus, if it's a motercycle, you can probably sue the guy you borrowed it from, simply because he let your dumb ass ride it. (Think that explaination would work?) :p

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't loan my bike , my tractor or my tools to anyone, for any reason. My wife on the otherhand is negotiable....
Nobody tells you, if they borrow your wife. :oops:

·
Super Moderator
63,194 Posts
What? Wait...I think its a great idea to borrow someones bike, or other cherished personal belonging, (like a guitar). You get to use it for free, and if you break it you can say it wasn't your fault, and refuse to pay for it. And as a bonus, if it's a motercycle, you can probably sue the guy you borrowed it from, simply because he let your dumb ass ride it. (Think that explaination would work?) :p
You nailed it Nate!

Pretty much what I would think and most likely say.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts