Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick search and did not find this.
As some of you know I wreaked my bike late last fall. Broke the stems on rear turn signals so I put on aftermarket turn signal lights on rear. These are the cheap smoked look lights, really wanted something to ride during this purty weather. It was great today. However tonight riding home if I pull the clutch lever ALL the way in it would flash my bright lights, also the blinkers flash fast.
I cut old wires and wired in the new lights with correct connectors.
I figure wrong wattage?
I think it is impossible to wire a two wire light incorrectly, right?

help:blackeye:

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Trying to think of questions. No damage to bike other than accy's, pretty sure wiring not affected. All turn signals flash.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
If your brights flash when you pull the clutch it usually means the clutch lever is hitting your flash to pass button on the front of the switch box and the turn signals you put on are they LED? LEDs will make your signals flash like thier on crack because they draw so little amperage that the computer doesnt notice thier there the fast flash is the bikes way of sayin there is a bad bulb.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Naw I think they are bulbs, here is info. Seller SAID they were fer my bike.

Item specifics

Condition: New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details.
See all condition definitions- opens in a new window or tab
Part Brand: vipcycle.comLighting Part Type: Turn SignalsPlacement on Vehicle: front/rearModel: Suzuki Boulevard C50,M50,S40Surface Finish: smoke tintedsku: 4385TS

Oh did have to replace handlebars with all that entails.

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
The 'flash to pass' deal is correct. Don't mean to sound like I telling jrygrn he's correct because he is. I learned that deal myself once.

Since you don't appear to have LED turn signals I would expect that you have lost a ground wire somewhere in that circuit.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm ok will look in area of light switch, don't think there is a ground in taillight area?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Let me look in the book.

The rear turn signals pick up the ground from the tail light assembly. Black wire with white dash or stripe.

The fronts pick up the ground from the headlight assembly, same color of wire.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok headed to shop to look at bike, will post results.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just an additional item here,,,,,,,assuming you've checked the lamps and the lamp sockets and the wiring and all that stuff and still have the problem you can try this.

Get a piece of primary wire and hook it to a known ground or the battery negative and place that wire into the ground circuit of the turns signals.

If they work then you have to find where the ground is lost or broken.

Remember though, the lamp filament is a return path to ground so a check with the VOM would be beneficial.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Almost any turn signal will work. On the front they are 3 wire signals (ground, running, turn) on the back they are 2 wire (turn and ground). They use different bulbs (1157 front, 1156 rear)

Here is some other helpful info
Some are small and likely not DOT approved so if your state has "tight" inspections they may not pass.

There are multiple types of turn signals/running lights some can only be used for one function (turn OR running) others can be used for both functions.

1 wire - one function only - running light OR turn signal

Connections:
  • Connect the one wire to the brown wire on the bike for running light, the light green for Right turn, Black for left turn
    The negative (ground) is made through the mounting bolt, these lights won't work until you connect the bolt to a metal part on the bike.
2 wire - one function only - running light OR turn signal

Connections:
  • Connect the positive wire on the signal to the brown wire on the bike for running light, the light green for right turn, black for left turn.
    Connect the negative wire on the signal to the black wire with white stripe
2 wire - two function - running light AND turn signal

Connections:
  • Connect one of the positive wires on the signal to the brown wire on the bike for running light
    Connect the other positive wire on the signal to the light green on the bike for right turn, black for left turn.
    The negative (ground) is made through the mounting bolt, these lights won't work until you connect the bolt a metal part on the bike.
    If when you test the running light is brighter than the turn signal swap the two positive wires
3 wire - two function - running light AND turn signal

Connections:
  • Connect one of the positive wires on the signal to the brown wire on the bike for running light
    Connect the other positive wire on the signal to the light green for Right turn, Black for left turn.
    Connect the negative wire to the black with white stripe on the bike.
    If when you test the running light is brighter than the turn signal swap the two positive wires
The wires to the front signals are in the headlight
Headlight Bucket colors
Ground - Black with White stripe (multiple)
Light Green - Right turn signal
Black - Left Turn Signal
Gray - Running lights
Yellow - High Beam
White - Low Beam
Orange/Blue - Aux Power (light bar connector, seperate 10 amp fuse)

The rear signals are under the taillight
Brown (becomes gray at the tail light)---running light
Black with White stripe---ground
Black---left turn
Light Green---right turn
White Wire with Black stripe---brake light

In the headlight bucket there is
Orange-with-green is (+) and black-with-white is (-) with a white (usually) connector on the end. These are for wiring up the lightbar. They are on when the key is on. They are protected by a 10amp fuse.
Black with a white stripe is ground (-) thoughout the bike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts