Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was responsible with my tax refund check, but I am going to treat myself with my stimulus check!
Here's my problem:
I am a new distance rider. I don't know if my "issues" with riding pain are more because I'm not conditioned to ride or if its the crappy stock seat. Most recently, my club went on a ride from Memphis to Montgomery, AL. We stop every 100 miles for gas. The first 100 miles I can do with no problem. We gas up and I am good for the next 50 miles. On mile #51, my hips go from no pain to watching the odometer for the next 50 miles wondering how much longer I have to stand it. I have tried sliding forward and backward (I am a big girl with a big tush so I dont' have much wiggle room). I think I may have a little butt burn too, but it is overpowered by the hip pain. I also have a irritating discomfort running behind my left knee which I read somewhere that it was nerve compression due to the pressure on the tailbone. One thing I have discovered much to the amusement of my club members that if I drop my feet down or bend my legs back and hold them up, all of the pain diminishes. I can ride like this for 5 or so miles until my nerves get the better of me ( I am afraid my foot is gonna drop to low, hit the pavement and cause a spill). When I get off the bike, the pain stops immediately and I am good for another 50 miles. The butt burn I can handle, the hip pain I would much rather do without. What can help with the hip pain?? Risers? new seat? I am short so if a mustang adds height, I would rather not get on of those, but I am willing to consider the solo as an option. I am strongly leaning towards the saddleman profiler but I haven't seen many people here discuss them as far as comfort and butt burn. Anyone have one?? did it help?

·
Premium Member
28,465 Posts
I would reccomend risers for a more relaxed riding position coupled with some highway pegs. Then you cna strech out as you say helps. 8)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Here is some help. I have used all three seats on the Bully. With the stock seat I could last about 50 miles max and then I would get pain in my hips. Something with the riding position. I then went to a gel. Really liked it. It lowers you, would recommend it with a backrest though. My hips didn't hurt with this seat. I got a good deal on a mustang with a backrest so I went with this. It does sorta sit you higher but it is a little wider feeling. It supports you better than stock. I now can ride all day without my hips or legs hurting.

If you are worried about height you could always lower your bike a bit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds like sitting like that is putting pressure on your sciatic nerve. I would say to get the gel seat it is a little lower a backrest and a set of risers sould take care of your problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Check out my gallery. This is what I did to my seat and with Lonnies backrest it really made a difference for me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I Just sent off my seat to Mean City Cycles to get it reshapped and refoamed. The Memory foam option is cheap. I get my seat back in a day or two and have a 100+ mile ride in a week and a half. I will report back on it after I get my seat and after I get back from that ride.

http://www.meancitycycles.com/motorcycle_seat_modifications.php

·
Registered
849 Posts
I love my Saddleman seat. Seems to sculpt more.

I am also a a big fan of a big tush.

Changing seat positions tend to change the pressure on nerves. I still get the butt burn but not the numbness and pain as I had with the stock seat.

Brian

·
Registered
469 Posts
i had some of the same problems when i got my vol (03)
a back rest and highway pegs on the oem engine guards plus a set of HD risers helped a lot

to try a back rest just roll up a sleeping bag and strap it on the seat behind you and it will give you a fairly good feel how a back rest would help or not help.
i am still riding on the oem seat and i have about 41000 miles on the bike.

but this is just my thoughts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I got my seat back on Friday and I am happy to report I love it. I did about 50 miles on it yesterday and zero butt burn. It moved me back about an inch and down about half an inch. I'm 6'2" so any room I can get it a good thing. The memory foam is very forgiving and contours nicely. For 90 bucks this seat mod is well worth it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
only my 2 cents but the mustang tour is the way to go. i was having some of the same problems. i got the seat, phat II risers and lonnies back rest. i rode from chicago to washington dc last year straight through in one day and didnt have a single problem (except having to stop for gas so many times)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts