Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to get some risers to take the pressure off my neck and shoulders. My back is rounded out and my body actually pulls on it all and my arms while riding. I am 5'7" and have already rotated the bars to get the best reach possible.
07 c50 stock bars and risers, low profile mustang seat

1) when measuring my stock risers, where is the actual measurement taken?
from forks/top of tree to the valley of the "U" of the riser...cap off
from forks/top of tree to the top of the "U" of the risers(half of bar diameter)...cap off
with your answer...is this the common way of measuring when sizing up for a purchase of risers. Any one same height, any solutions on a LOW BUDGET.

Thanks to all in advance,

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
Measure from Triple tree to center of bars. Most go with 4" risers or so. It's the pull back on the risers that make a difference. Even if you find someone the same height (I'm 5'6") your arm length is what makes the difference not your over-all height. With the Mustang you are already pushed forward a bit, so you may get away (cheapest route) with Spacer Jim's 2 inch spacers. Rises the bar up and angles a little back (maybe a inch) I went that way in the beginning before buying the Phatt II risers, not the cheap route, but worth it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am also 5,7 but I had the gel seat, which I believe does not push you forward as much as your seat.
Ended up going with the Phatt II and to me it was completely worth the money. Anything much longer than that would start giving you issues as the lines might not be long enough. I had no issue with the Phatt.
As of for low budget, couple of buddies of mine have done things like...
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/bodgers-corner/27959-handlebar-risers-diy.html
Or...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1306027682
One of them on a volusia with no issues at all.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I'm 5'-8" with a short reach. I added Jim's 2inch spacers and that fixed the issues I was having

RV

·
Registered
624 Posts
4" risers will require throttle cable routed behind the triple tree. Which a lot of people take off the top of the tree to reroute. However, it was easier for me to simply take apart the throttle housing and reroute.

Jim"s 2" spacers are essentially the same as 4" risers.

You can try the socket spacer someone posted, but Jim's are only $29 shipped, which you'll spend close to getting good sockets and bolts.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I have the aeromach 4 up 2 back. They are a great solid riser. Little pricey but worth every penny I spent on them. Had them on the 06 and moved them to the 09. No rerouting of any cables.
5'7" medium arm length.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am also 5,7 but I had the gel seat, which I believe does not push you forward as much as your seat.
Ended up going with the Phatt II and to me it was completely worth the money. Anything much longer than that would start giving you issues as the lines might not be long enough. I had no issue with the Phatt.
As of for low budget, couple of buddies of mine have done things like...
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/bodgers-corner/27959-handlebar-risers-diy.html
Or...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1306027682
One of them on a volusia with no issues at all.
Hope it helps.
ion, my seat actually sets me back and lower than the stock seat. I did check out the riser mods and felt that these may work for the cheap, but not too safe. Just as they mentioned about the give. Also, I don't think that they will be long enough for me. But am going to set it up to help make a better decision on the length and possible pull back needed with some bars I have bought from ebay, I don't mind spending up to 80.00-100.00 for quality and safety. I need 4-7 inch risers plus I will be possibly having to chang out all controls because of the 07 being short on extra throttle/brake cable length, this is where my cost will be high.
my hesitation to buy is the extra cost to ship back a unusable part be switched out for another, driving up the cost again.

As far as the electric controls go, I feel confident with splicing and extending compatible wire some where in the middle. Unless there is something that someone else has come up against that I would need to know about when doing this electric/extension mod.

Thanks to all that have responded so far.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have a set of Barrons 4" for sale in the Swap meet section

·
Registered
167 Posts
ion, my seat actually sets me back and lower than the stock seat. I did check out the riser mods and felt that these may work for the cheap, but not too safe. Just as they mentioned about the give. Also, I don't think that they will be long enough for me. But am going to set it up to help make a better decision on the length and possible pull back needed with some bars I have bought from ebay, I don't mind spending up to 80.00-100.00 for quality and safety. I need 4-7 inch risers plus I will be possibly having to chang out all controls because of the 07 being short on extra throttle/brake cable length, this is where my cost will be high.
my hesitation to buy is the extra cost to ship back a unusable part be switched out for another, driving up the cost again.

As far as the electric controls go, I feel confident with splicing and extending compatible wire some where in the middle. Unless there is something that someone else has come up against that I would need to know about when doing this electric/extension mod.

Thanks to all that have responded so far.

I am w u on this and that is why I opted not to do it that way. Not as worry about it being safe As much as vibration on the handlebar.

Testing different bars is a great idea. I'm my particular case I found that 2 pullback was plenty. My fiancée is 5 feet tall and she used to ride it very comfortably. Her only issue was that she wasn't able to flat foot till i dropped the bike 2in. After which I had to fight her for the bike! That is why I had to buy a bigger bike!!! Hahaha

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I'm 5'7" and put inexpensive 3.5" (1.5" pullback) risers from ebay on mine and, while I enjoyed the riding comfort, the left grip came WAY back when parked and steering column turned left. As a result I always bumped the mirror getting back on the bike despite trying not to. PS the risers were a much better quality than I had expected, good chrome and very strong.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I am w u on this and that is why I opted not to do it that way. Not as worry about it being safe As much as vibration on the handlebar.

Testing different bars is a great idea. I'm my particular case I found that 2 pullback was plenty. My fiancée is 5 feet tall and she used to ride it very comfortably. Her only issue was that she wasn't able to flat foot till i dropped the bike 2in. After which I had to fight her for the bike! That is why I had to buy a bigger bike!!! Hahaha

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
As a member here for a few years with a focus on safety, I don't see any safety issues with the riser mods offered here. I would not use any item not intended for this use such as a tool socket, but the risers and spacers offered by Jim and others are created with specific tolerances. If attached and mounted correctly by the user, the handlebars and bike is as safe as intended.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Great input from everyone. Have checked out our swap meet and may have some leads from ebay too, but need a bit more info before buying. what are the specs for thread at base & coarse threads/inch for my 2007c50 stock risers? I have some in mind, thread at base 1/2" coarse (13 threads/inch). but not sure of this spec. so I would not have to change out the bolts.also, I have seen some with a flat base and some a nipple, which will work? then there is the size of the base, does that matter also? Thanks again in advance.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Great input from everyone. Have checked out our swap meet and may have some leads from ebay too, but need a bit more info before buying. what are the specs for thread at base & coarse threads/inch for my 2007c50 stock risers? I have some in mind, thread at base 1/2" coarse (13 threads/inch). but not sure of this spec. so I would not have to change out the bolts.also, I have seen some with a flat base and some a nipple, which will work? then there is the size of the base, does that matter also? Thanks again in advance.
New risers come with different size bolts to fit multiple brands of bikes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking for a set of risers on ebay, will probably go with something around 4" or 5". When checking what bikes they fit I'm finding most come up as incompatible with my 2002 VL800 but fit C50. Can anyone tell me if there is really a difference in bar risers between a VL800 and a C50? Below are the specs for one that I'm interested in. Thanks for any help with these!

Specs: Overall height 5", bar size 1", overall Dimension at head 1 1/4'' x 2", height from base to center of handlebar 3 1/2 ", pull back 1 1/4", overall dimension at base 1 3/16 " x 1 3/16 '', thread at base 1/2" coarse (13 threads/inch).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts