Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just got Scarlett delivered and was wondering if anyone in the Texas area has done the spline lube job on their bike and if they would be willing to show me how to do it on mine?

I am a visual learner and would appreciate anyone taking time to help me pull the assembly apart and show me the proper way to lube the shaft splines. I can ride anywhere in Texas to you, I am in Laredo but love riding any distance, I will bring:

The Bike
The Honda Moly Lube
PLUS - Pizza/Wings and ANY case of beer you like in appreciation.

The local dealer quoted me $180 which I figure would be better spent wrenching on my bike with fellow forum members.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Enjoy riding the bike for awhile before you start taking it apart too much RubenAlonzo.
+1 ^^^^

I see you have the moly but you should also bring an oil seal part 09283-30051 ( assuming the drive hasn't been modded)

Congrats on the new bike.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Do a search and you will find how to with pictures. It is very easy. you need motorcycle jack. And seal as stated above. Did mine with no directions or picks. If you can work on a car, you can work on the bike. Disconnect the brake lever, remove the rear wheel and your 1/2 way there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do a search and you will find how to with pictures. It is very easy. you need motorcycle jack. And seal as stated above. Did mine with no directions or picks. If you can work on a car, you can work on the bike. Disconnect the brake lever, remove the rear wheel and your 1/2 way there.
Once the weather warms up a bit, I will give it the old college try. P.S. can you believe the dealer wants $80 to change the oil!?! 80 Dollars!! WOW, I am not afraid of the oil change but out of curiosity I simply asked him when I called about the spline job, I was dumbstruck at the price.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Once the weather warms up a bit, I will give it the old college try. P.S. can you believe the dealer wants $80 to change the oil!?! 80 Dollars!! WOW, I am not afraid of the oil change but out of curiosity I simply asked him when I called about the spline job, I was dumbstruck at the price.
That is why A LOT of us do our own wrenching. Harley wants $200 plus for an oil change. It took me 1.5 hours to change the oil in my HOG and I didn't use HD oil. I can do the drive splines in about an hour actually takes longer to get the tools and supplies ready to do the job and I have a modded drive on both Bullies.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Stay completely away from that dealer. You can change the oil in about 15 min.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Sounds high for the an oil change knowing that we do our own service.
5qt. Jug of motorcycle oil at Walmart is $30-40
filter is $10-15
there's $50 dollars right there. So, dealer is looking for $25 or so for labor. Takes 30 minutes which is about right for labor at $50-60 per hour.

No, your not going to use the 5qts of oil but at least you have extra to add later if necessary. I buy OEM filter at the dealer so the cost is higher than if I bought it online.

For the convenience of riding it in to the shop and waiting for it, not bad. But if your wanting to do the drive shaft splines,etc. you'll learn quite a bit about your bike doing some of the work yourself. First can be timely, but each time thereafter is less and less.

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
Ruben,

I'm not sure dissasembling a new bike is necessary. If the drive shaft fails the bike has a warranty. If it has plenty of miles and hasn't broken. It won't. A properly assembled shaft drive will last for the life of the bike.

Next, rather than have someone work on your bike, have beer and pizza and have everyone over for a wrench day and get everyone up to speed on routine maintenance. I promise its a good time. Go to schedule a ride and just schedule a wrench day.

My club does this and we share parts tools and knowledge.

Just some ideas

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Ruben,

I'm not sure dissasembling a new bike is necessary. If the drive shaft fails the bike has a warranty. If it has plenty of miles and hasn't broken. It won't. A properly assembled shaft drive will last for the life of the bike.

Next, rather than have someone work on your bike, have beer and pizza and have everyone over for a wrench day and get everyone up to speed on routine maintenance. I promise its a good time. Go to schedule a ride and just schedule a wrench day.

My club does this and we share parts tools and knowledge.

Just some ideas
I believe the OP bought a 2005 with 12k miles on it. May not be any warranty on it other than what the dealer could have offered for 90 days? From our experience here, it would be advisable to check the splines before too long!

·
Registered
431 Posts
My splines dies at around 28000 miles. My two cents, lube it now save your self the headache of being stuck somewhere when they do finally go... Have a blast riding!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Checked mine at 8000. Dry.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome! Thanks all for the advice, and GrapeApe for the link. I definitely want to try to do this before mid april, hopefully later this month as the nice weather is headed my way here in south texas.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

Suzuki Regular Motorcycle oil change kit Cost from internet $36.39 plus $13 shipping Equals $50 If you use Suzuki full Synthetic Oil add another $20. The dealer wouldn't charge for shipping. So If the quote of $80 was for full Suzuki motor oil it is an excellent price.

Those who use non motorcycle oil can do a change for less oil and filter cost but a dealer probably will not use car oil in a motorcycle. The dealer may get the motorcycle oil in bulk drums and charge the going quart rate which is how he makes extra profit.

Cost for Suzuki regular motorcycle Oil per Quart $6, Suzuki full synthetic motorcycle oil per Quart $10.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Might as well swap that drive while your changing that seal, if it hasn't already been done!:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts