Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my factory tail lights I can convert into brake lights and have them as turn signals like a sportster. And they would be mounted on the rear fender straight up and down next to each other. Our I can use the two after market turn signals hooked up to my fender strut mounts and have this black dyna factory rear light be my brake light/running light. I don't know which to choose. I'm not worried about wiring. I'm worried about drilling holes and having it look terrible. Please let me know what you think. I like both honestly but I don't want to look like a total chode master going down the road.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Made the choice and mounted it. Single light. But I'm having a problem. The brake/running light only comes on when I hit the brakes. Stock brake light was a three wire. This light is a two wire. Help?

If the bulb is a 2 filament Brake / tail light you'll need the 3rd wire.

·
Registered
439 Posts
One of those wires on the stocker is for ground. Does the new light have its own ground wire or is it trying to use the housing to ground.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Two wires came out of the new housing. Those are good and connected. But the third wire that's coming out of a slice with the two turn signal grounds is not attached to anything. I touched it to the inner housing and the bulb turned on. Then I hit the brake and the bulb barely got brighter. Do I need a two stage bulb? Is there such a thing. I'm headed to bed now I'll check tomorrow with the old bulb in it. I hope I just answered my question lol.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
If the set of LED lights you got has only two wires, then probably one is a ground wire and the other is positive. You cannot use it as a brake light. You have to get a light that has two functions, brake and running lights.
You need a tail light that has three wires: a ground wire, brake wire, and running light wire.
Just like on the bike with the dual filament bulb...

Unless those led lights you got is dual function with two wires. Then those two wires is for the brake and the other is the running light. The ground would be the housing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I figured it out. Since I'm using a V Rod rear turn signal which is two wire, all I have to do is purchase V Rod front turn signal guts which is three wires. $30 from Harley and its in stock on hold for me. And my problems are solved. Should pick it up with some double filament LEDs tomorrow. All I need after that is a **** springer seat and springs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts