Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gearheads I need some help
Background is intruder 800 will start with kickstand down, clutch pulled or kickstand up clutch pulled
When putting in gear immediately quits
Have checked kickstand switch, neutral switch, clutch switch, starter switch, kill switch and all have continuity so no obvious kickstand switch problems since I tried jumping that with same results
Seems like I've checked everything out electrical but sure I missed something
All opinions welcome
馃憤馃憤

Super Moderator
I'm assuming that it shuts off when you put it in gear and the kickstand is up. Yes? It should run in neutral, no matter where the kickstand is at, but will shut off with the kickstand down and the bike in gear.

I would think that there's something wrong with your kickstand switch and it isn't registering that the kickstand is up. You can bypass the switch, but bear in mind that this could be fairly dangerous, as you can ride away with the kickstand down.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Yes runs in neutral and with kickstand up or down. Put the bike in gear and it shuts down as fast as if I used the kill switch. I have checked continuity on the kickstand switch not only at the switch connection but all the way through the round switch that has an oil seal behind it right above kickstand switch and up to its connection in the bundle under the seat. All of that checks out with good with my meter. The clutch switch also checks out along with the start, run, etc ay the handle switch along with a check if the ignition switch start, run, and park positions. Please note that I did do a carb rebuild and throttle, choke, and sync cable replace so I was under the tank moving bundles and wires around to get everything back together. This bike has only 147miles on it was garage kept and all wiring is like new.. Im so pissed that I can't find this critical error, ya know?? 馃槏

Super Moderator
Well, you have continuity through the kickstand switch, but does that change of you activate it?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what you are asking but what I'm doing is checking continuity when I manually depress the plunger as well as with moving the kickstand up and down and with both I'm grtt good continuity

Super Moderator
Not sure what you are asking but what I'm doing is checking continuity when I manually depress the plunger as well as with moving the kickstand up and down and with both I'm grtt good continuity
You shouldn't be getting continuity in both positions. That's your problem. I'm not sure which it is, but in one position you should get continuity, in the other you should have an open.

Since you're getting continuity in both positions, I'm going to guess that you should lose continuity when the kickstand is up. Basically, your switch is never telling the bike that the kickstand is up, it thinks it's constantly down.

Super Moderator

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Try to bypass the kickstand switch just to rule it out.
OK did that at the connection to what's call "body switch" right above the kickstand switch but I didn't do it at the new ndke connection under the seat that leads from that body switch... Should I try at those two connections???? . There are 4 wires from the body switch up to the bundle of ndke including the 2 wires that originate at the kickstand switch... Your call and thanks again for the great help 馃憤馃憤馃憤馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
OK did that at the connection to what's call "body switch" right above the kickstand switch but I didn't do it at the new ndke connection under the seat that leads from that body switch... Should I try at those two connections???? . There are 4 wires from the body switch up to the bundle of ndke including the 2 wires that originate at the kickstand switch... Your call and thanks again for the great help 馃憤馃憤馃憤馃榿
Try to bypass the kickstand switch just to rule it out.
I just found another part of the whole kickstand safety switch components I have not checked suzuki part number 38740-24X50 listed as a side stand relay on the 1998 VS800GLP and that same part number cross references with many other hides and is used fur a fuel pump relay, headlight relay, and kickstand relay for the W series intruders... Maybe that's my issue... Is there located just to the left of the fuse box and sits in a rubber mount on the frame... Anybody have trouble like mine coming from that relay!!

Registered
I'm assuming that it shuts off when you put it in gear and the kickstand is up. Yes? It should run in neutral, no matter where the kickstand is at, but will shut off with the kickstand down and the bike in gear.

I would think that there's something wrong with your kickstand switch and it isn't registering that the kickstand is up. You can bypass the switch, but bear in mind that this could be fairly dangerous, as you can ride away with the kickstand down.
Yes but, how about forgetting to put the kickstand DOWN when you stop to get fuel?

Super Moderator
Yes but, how about forgetting to put the kickstand DOWN when you stop to get fuel?
I have no idea what you're talking about. :whistle:

At least if you do that you'll just hurt your pride a bit and maybe scratch up the paint. Riding off with the kickstand down could cause a crash and actually hurt you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
You shouldn't be getting continuity in both positions. That's your problem. I'm not sure which it is, but in one position you should get continuity, in the other you should have an open.

Since you're getting continuity in both positions, I'm going to guess that you should lose continuity when the kickstand is up. Basically, your switch is never telling the bike that the kickstand is up, it thinks it's constantly down.
Not getting continuity in the down position only the up position

1 - 13 of 13 Posts