Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some assistance please figuring out where to go next with this issue.

2005 C50T with 55K. Stock engine and exhaust. All mods have been cosmetic.

Bike hesitates like it is running out of gas at times. Fuel pump has been removed twice by my mechanic and filter cleaned. First time filter was clogged with black gunk like mud. Second looked clean. He believes pump is fine. Tank has also been drained twice to empty and fresh gas put in. New plugs installed.

Now, the challenge, why it keeps doing it and under limited circumstances.
-cool weather - 45 degrees - doens't do it runs great all rpm
-warm weather cold bike - doesn't do it
-warm weather hot bike - mostly doesn't do it, but occasionally
-hot weather - 85 degrees - does it often
-it seems to be rpm dependent. Most often happens at 65 mph. I can make it do it in lower gears and higher rpm. 4th gear 55 mph it does it. 2nd gear 35 mph it does it. Driving around normal city/country at low rpm never does it.

thoughts? fuel pump replace? electrical issue? vacuum hose of some type?

thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run seafoam every other tank all the time. Place a couple capfulls in. My mechanic gave me some 5 in 1 something to try. He said does basically the same as seafoam.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I took off my primary fuel line and sprayed starter fluid through it. There was a lot of gunk that came out of it. So I figure that helped with my problem. Still though, an hour or more at high throttle and my bike cuts out. It's like it's not getting enough air or something.

·
Registered
154 Posts
We find where some injectors will vary in flow as both rpms & pressure change. One cylinder may have an injector that is partially blocked and only become apparent at certain rpms or pressure ranges.

The use of Seafoam may clean the system but the bottleneck is the filter in the injector.

·
Administrator
57,155 Posts
As others have stated, I'd also bet the injector(s) are clogged.

What I've always used to clean out fuel injectors on gasoline engines, is number 2 diesel fuel.
Adding five or six ounces to a full tank of fuel (on the VL800), then running the machine for around 25 highway miles, usually does the trick.

I'm sure that SeaFoam and other fuel treatments work just fine.
However, for the price of one 12 ounce bottle, You can easily buy a gallon or more of #2 diesel, which will treat multiple vehicles, and probably offer a few years of treatments as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does it backfires when you let go of the gas at high speed or rpm? Mine Was about the Same ,turned out it Was dirty fuel injectors, had to take them to a shop and it runs like new again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.