Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i am looking for some help in picking 1 of 2 motorcycles the first is a 2003 Intruder Volusia 800 with around 13k miles price 2500.00 is still all fact set no mods or extras has a messed up front fender do to the kick stand drop. color is blue over silver. comes with bags windshield and sissy bar does need new back tire..

second bike is a 1999 Intruder 1500 with little over 10k miles price 2400.00 color is red over white small boot marks on gas tank and some one bumped into rear wheel cover and left crease but was pulled back and touched up with paint. also missing the fuel cover lock. comes with bags windshield thick seats i think fact, luggage rack and has floor boards and heal toe shiftier also comes with helms.

my wife and I would only run around town and maybe once a month a 170 mile run. but do plan on driving around state of ohio and maybe
1 trip to Maryland so once a year would be a 500 mile run 1 way so 1000 mile round trip.

I am not a tall guy im 5' 6" and about 225 bls wife 115 bls and 5' 5" so i am looking for any advice on what might be a good choice.
both bikes have been garage kept last bike rode was 6 years ago a Shadow 500
so if some one could please let me know what might be best thank you..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
You might want to try and get a newer year just for the FI if nothing else. But if you're limited to those 2 choices, I would go with the Volusia, it's a newer year with about the same mileage and cost. The front fender can easily be replaced. You may have to replace both tires on either bike you pick depending on when the manufacture date is on the tires. For the amount of time that you'd take it on the highway it will hold up just fine. Being that you're a small guy like me, I'm 5'8" 170 I think the weight of the Volusia would suit you better. Being that your wife is small also I don't think you'd run into any issues riding 2up on the Volusia. One word of advice, if you do go with the 1500 I'd either sell or dump the helmets. Not worth using a used helmet.
I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with Semper and RedDog. For what amounts to a 1st bike, I would go with the 800. I also think you can get a newer C50 for about the same money.

·
Registered
21,173 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain and tell you to get the bigger bike.

It sounds like you're planning to ride 2 up and when you do, it will be for some longer distances. The Vol can do it, my friends Pete and Lilly rode theirs across the country twice..... But it isn't the most comfortable and you will be longing for a few extra ponies once you get it loaded down. Likewise, your thousand mile trip to Maryland will get you thinking about a bigger bike in a hurry. 1k of high rev rpm from the Vol engine will do that to you.

Now, if you go with the Vol, you'll probably end up putting on a modified LS1500 drive of some flavour (at the cost of $500-$600), doing a rejet, filter and pipes to get those longed for extra ponies and a touring saddle of some sort or another. You'll end up spending $$$$ to try to turn the bike into a comfortable long distance touring cruiser. Which you can. As long as you're willing to live with the compromises that come with it.

Or.... You can get the LS1500 which already has all the power you need,save what you would have put into the smaller bike and put it towards making the bigger bike more your own. From your description, it already has all the touring rig so you're pretty much good to go.

Whatever you decide on, set aside a BIG maintenance budget. Plan on changing the tires, regardless of how much tread is left. Also, oil change, spark plugs, brake pads, brake lines, etc. There's a laundry list of things that the bikes need, but are often never done.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Having owned both and been a member of both Volusiariders and VL1500/C90 forums, I would never chose the Vl800 over the VL1500. The VL800 may be lighter and more easy to handle, but the cam chain and valve adjustment issues are a big turn off for me. The engine on the VL1500 is bulletproof with no valve adjustments and will go easily over 100k miles. I would offer 2k for the VL1500 and ride away with it.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
I'll go with Scrap on this one...........bigger is always better. The only down side to the 1500 is a smallish gas tank, but on those longer rides your wife will like the increased stops for leg stretches. As mentioned either bike will require some maintenance unless the PO has maintenance records.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would go with the bigger bike. Heck your wife might enjoy it so much she wants to go all the time. I will also say why only these two. Riding season in Ohio is pretty much over, at least if this weather trend continues and it has all year. Being in Ohio there are quite a few of each for sale and if you up to 3000 dollars a better bike can be had. This time of year is also a buyers market. As we get closer to Christmas there will be sellers that need Christmas money and you can make a sweet deal with someone. Be a bit patient. Also the kawasaki nomad is a good option and they are out there also.

·
Premium Member
14,512 Posts
I would go bigger also if these were my only choices.

Also on the Volusia, it has had a kickstand drop check, the left side of the tank. That is usually the 1st thing to hit the ground and the dent is often behind/caused by the tank decal. Not a problem at all, just may be a way to get the price down.

·
Registered
23,533 Posts
Greetings from Indiana.

I would tend to lean towards the larger bike. I have an 800 and have taken a couple of rides like your Mass. trip riding 2 up and we wouldn't have made it with the stock seats. Offer a lower price on the 1500 and get tires and fluid changes and look for a mustang or ultimate seat.
Jmho.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.