Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to turn my '06 C50 that I did the BlueCollarBobbers mod to (single springer seat, chopped back fender, see pic) into a two-seater. I did the springer seat when I was single, and now the wife wants to ride with me :D.

I want to convert to a cafe-racer style caterpillar seat (pic below), so I'll need to modify the frame geometry. Anyone done anything like this or have tips on how to best fab this up?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe you can make some brackets to hold cafe seat clear of swing arm fender or maybe p pad if the fender brackets/fender could support the o/l weight .most guys don't rethink solo changes once done like yours.think it over ,draw it out ,maybe you'll see it,,, if you look at all mounting points possible ,maybe extra metal in seat pan to support passangers weight,,you got original thing you trying to do,outside of box thinking is called for.

·
Registered
20,699 Posts
You are the first person in 13 years of being here who wants to mod their bobber to allow for 2 up riding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hahah yup - I’ve loved the springer and most would probably just buy another bike better suited for two-up. But I’m 6’5” and have done a lot to this bobber to get it just right. Don’t feel like doing that all over again, so I’ll probably ride it into the ground.

Plus, making the case for another toy in the middle of a house renovation would be ill-advised ;). So trying to make do with what I got.

Welp...if someone finds this thread down the line and wants to do the same, reach out. Im probably going to go to a custom motorcycle fab shop and have them weld up a frame extension that stubs out straight from just below the tank bolt

·
Registered
14 Posts

I did this after having mine as a bobber it's still a single but if you use the seat in the picture it will be a double. I used 2mm steel and used the tank bolt and then the two bolt holes across the frame to secure. I have used aluminium on the supports, but would suggest steel if your two up

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
View attachment 147295
I did this after having mine as a bobber it's still a single but if you use the seat in the picture it will be a double. I used 2mm steel and used the tank bolt and then the two bolt holes across the frame to secure. I have used aluminium on the supports, but would suggest steel if your two up View attachment 147297
Ah nice! knew there had to be someone who had gone this route! Thanks Bone T, this is super helpful. So you secured that to the frame through the tank bolt and then the two stock seat pan holes? looks great

·
Registered
14 Posts
View attachment 147295
I did this after having mine as a bobber it's still a single but if you use the seat in the picture it will be a double. I used 2mm steel and used the tank bolt and then the two bolt holes across the frame to secure. I have used aluminium on the supports, but would suggest steel if your two up View attachment 147297
Oh and just to add I didn't have access to any welding equipment so had to work out how to do it without and use existing mounts and holes. Was a case of using a grinder with cutting disc for the shape and then a hammer to beat it into shape. I did do a dummy run on a thinner cheaper but of aluminium first to make sure I got my angles to where I wanted. Then did it in steel and matched the first

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ah nice! knew there had to be someone who had gone this route! Thanks Bone T, this is super helpful. So you secured that to the frame through the tank bolt and then the two stock seat pan holes? looks great
Yep secured with tank bolt and then the ones across the frame. If I get time tomorrow I'll see if I can get some more pics

·
Registered
14 Posts
When attaching to the frame as mentioned used the tank bolt and the two across the cross member all circled in red. If you wanted this a bit more secure and sturdy the possibly could use the two circled in green. Also to note the tank bolt was never designed to take the weight pulling on it so if you did something similar I would suggest some sort of strengthening of the frame maybe around this area. Also maybe use nut and bolts or wealds instead of pop rivets for the supports. But this may give you some ideas of how you can achieve I couldn't find anything so it was very much a case of trial and error. Still haven't had this on the road yet in its current state so will see how it goes feels.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts

Just to add if you do go down this route. I would add some strength to the mounting points I used as the where it uses the tank bolt the nut started ripping away from the frame so I added some metal plates under and on top to strengthen. If you could weld something on probably a better option. Also where the rear 2 are bolted onto the frame this is quite flimsey and steel has ripped so another point for some welding an extra bar across. Especially if your considering a passenger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts