Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone's take on used helmets? :?

Are they like a gallon of milk in the fridge and have an expiration date on the materials used? I understand the argument about a helmet being compromised if in a crash, but what about helmets that your buddy has had sitting on a shelf just gathering dust? If you know the history, and its 5-7 years old, is it as much of a safety hazard as the one in a crash?

Also does manufacturer factor into it? Would you trust a 7 year old Shoei\Arai\Scorpion more than a 7 year old other brand?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Good Questions I too wonder.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Sorry, I wouldn't trust a used helmet, even if I could be guaranteed that it had never been dropped!

There is a "date stamp" inside every helmet. 5 years at the most, and it's GONE, in my books! Oils and perspiration will degrade the foam inside the helmet.

Locally here, the police have been know to ask to see the "date stamp" inside your helmet if you're being stopped! A friend of mine was "detained" during a "motorcycle spot check", because his helmet was "out of date"! .............Was told to go park his bike "over there", and make arrangements to get a "valid helmet" before he moved it!

In my opinion, my "grape" isn't worth taking a chance on an old, expired helmet, or a used one that I have no idea of it's history! (Sure, the guy offering it to you will tell you it's never been dropped ............how do you know for sure? ...........willing to take that chance? .............Not me, sorry.

I look at the costs associated with replacing my helmet every few years as cheap insurance for my head! Hey, and I get to update my helmet to one with some newer features too! (flip down visor, newer color/style, etc.)

Just my .02 cents.

·
Premium Member
9,060 Posts
I'm sure I read it on here a while back, the manufacture says to replace after 5 years even if the helmet has never been dropped or in an accident.

I have one helmet that has never been worn but is ready for the garbage if that is true.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Most manufacturers tel you to replace a helmet at 7 years out of concern that the foam padding on the inside dries out with time and will no longer be as effective.

With that said, I own 6 helmets and every single one of them is over 7 years old, my daily use one being almost 30 years old, so I would have no problems with a helmet that I knew had not suffered a trauma and if the interior foam was still soft and resilient.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm sure I read it on here a while back, the manufacture says to replace after 5 years even if the helmet has never been dropped or in an accident.

I have one helmet that has never been worn but is ready for the garbage if that is true.
If you was selling helmets I'd say the same thing. Increase sales if nothing else.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts

I've taken my old helmets to the gun range, and fired a few shots at them! :wayhappy:
A .357 puts a nice hole in them ............ if you can find all the pieces! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there other materials used in helmets, or is foam padding the standard, even with the high-end manufacturers?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I had an almost new helmet sitting in a helmet bag in my wardrobe, at least it was almost new when I sold my bike in 2006. Considering how cheap helmets are these days I just bought a new one when I bought the C50T, why take any chances.

On the other hand my wife has one that is 20 years old and has been worn about 10 times and she refuses to buy a new one.

I can understand replacing a helmet every 5 years if it is worn regularly as the foam lining will compress and wear and the impact material will be contaminated with years of sweat and other nasty stuff that is in our hair.

·
Super Moderator
22,500 Posts
I guess all 4 of my helmets need to be replaced...2 given to me by my brother in law who never really used them. Maybe I'll make the investment for a new 3/4 this spring.

·
Premium Member
9,060 Posts
I've taken my old helmets to the gun range, and fired a few shots at them! :wayhappy:
A .357 puts a nice hole in them ............ if you can find all the pieces! :biglaugh:
Now there's an option!!

There's a bike restoration shop here, that has them hanging upside down at the door with some pretty nice flowers growing in them. :idea:

·
Administrator
29,710 Posts
What is everyone's take on used helmets? :?

Are they like a gallon of milk in the fridge and have an expiration date on the materials used? I understand the argument about a helmet being compromised if in a crash, but what about helmets that your buddy has had sitting on a shelf just gathering dust? If you know the history, and its 5-7 years old, is it as much of a safety hazard as the one in a crash?

Also does manufacturer factor into it? Would you trust a 7 year old Shoei\Arai\Scorpion more than a 7 year old other brand?
Helmets live about 5 years. The foam in the shells degrades. Also, simply, the idea of a used helmet is gross. That being said, I'd be glad to sell you my arai vector, XL, for 200 bucks....

You'd know how funny that is if you've ever seen one of my helmets :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
818 Posts
From one of our state safety bodies...I'd guess pretty much replace Australian with American where applicable.

Frequently Asked Questions

• Can I use a helmet I have brought with me from overseas?

No. Helmets purchased from overseas do not comply with Australian
Standards. In addition, the Australian Standard for motorcycle
helmets is one of the most stringent in the world.

• When should I replace my motorcycle helmet?

You need to replace your helmet if it has been involved in a crash.
If it's been properly taken care of and hasn't been involved in a crash or another impact, it should be replaced approximately once every
five years, or every three years if used regularly. The helmet’s
shells and foam liners are made of materials which will
deteriorate with time, heat and humidity in which sometimes the
deterioration is not visible for inspection, so don’t rely on this.
Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics also contribute to helmet
degradation. Petroleum-based products present in cleaners,
paints, fuels and other common materials may also degrade
materials used in many helmets, possibly degrading performance.

• Can I buy a helmet online?

It is recommended that you don't
buy a helmet online. Good fit is essential to optimal head
protection. There is no way to know whether a helmet will fit
well based only on your head size. People with the same head
size may have different head shapes. Without trying on the
helmet, there is no good way to tell.

• Is a second hand helmet safe?

Never buy a used helmet or borrow someone else's helmet. Over time the protective foam in helmets will adjust to the contours of a user's head. A used or borrowed helmet may not offer as much protection as a new
helmet. It is impossible to tell by visual inspection alone whether
or not the helmet has been involved in a crash and whether its
protective function is significantly degraded.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I wouldn't buy a used helmet. You don't know if it's been dropped or otherwise compromised, and it's been on someone's head. I don't buy used underwear or socks, either.

There is a shelf life for helmets, they are not intended to last forever.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldn't buy a used helmet. You don't know if it's been dropped or otherwise compromised, and it's been on someone's head. I don't buy used underwear or socks, either.

There is a shelf life for helmets, they are not intended to last forever.
All good info from very smart and seasoned riders. I'm glad i asked the question. I think the analogy of used underwear kinda brought the point home :)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Helmets live about 5 years. The foam in the shells degrades. Also, simply, the idea of a used helmet is gross. That being said, I'd be glad to sell you my arai vector, XL, for 200 bucks....
You'd know how funny that is if you've ever seen one of my helmets :)
Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Foam degrades initially very quickly, then after a few months it slows down, depending on the plasticizers used in the process. Storing a helmet in a helmet bag, or even plastic bag when not in use greatly reduces plasticizer loss and extends the life on foam, sometimes almost indefinately. In our industry, foam product life ranges between 12-15 years. The 5 years recommended by the Helmet industry could easily have been 6 months.

Somebody's used helmet, like used underwear. There are so many Asian brands and copies available now, just buy a cheap new one would be my advice. Fit is more important than somebody else's sweat.

Have I ever used a used helmet? Yes, many years ago and I was glad to have it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
PapaBean
I took a safety course just this summer and was told that helmets are only guaranteed for 5 yrs from the date of manufacture. That should be labeled on the inside of the helmet. That doesn't mean it wont protect you after that, but it's wear at your own risk. Hope this helps. Happy Holidays

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Same here, took MSF this Fall. I wonder why I didnt remember that part. Have to go back look at my class manual, wonder if they covered or mention that here in the Indiana course.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Used helmets can be kinda nasty and there are too many decent, reasonably priced brand new helmets. I was tempted by a "once worn" helmet listed on CL a while back but just could not get past the "what ifs" and the yuck factor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts