Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wonder how many employees at CG know about the Lid Picker?

I was there Monday and not one word was mentioned when I was trying
on helmets that clearly wouldn't fit my big dome.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I received my LidPicker results and thought I would share them
with you guys/gals in case you might be considering the same.

I submitted my measurements and about 20 minutes later got an email from Aaron with the results
and some explanation on how to read them. It only cost $20.00 plus tax for the kit, which included
all measuring tools and a cool set of sun glasses.

I think it was well worth that much and the speed at which i got my results, outstanding !!!

My Results

How to read results:
What you really want is green in all three columns.
The first column "Shape of helmet is..." compares the shape of the helmet to the shape or your head.

The second column "MFG Size Chart Match?" lets you know where you fall on the manufacturers sizing chart.

The last column "OK by Measured L and W" is probably the most important.
That one is a direct comparison of your length and width to the internal length and width of each helmet.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
purplenova: Thanks for sharing your results. Very interesting. I too ordered the LidPicker kit and just got it. I can't wait to try it out. Based on my general experience, I think I have a long oval head and would like to see how my results come back and what helmets they say are ideal for me. I will share my results also.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm sure I'm going to pay the price for it some day, but I started off with a full face helmet and textile jacket with full armor. Between the Texas heat and the comfort factor in general, I spend WAY too many miles now wearing a half helmet and either just a t-shirt or a t-shirt and leather vest. Not advocating this though. All it takes is one fall and I will be made immediately aware of the gravity of my decision.

·
Premium Member
3,627 Posts
DallasJoe, try a mesh jacket. Even without armor it will give a lot more protection than a tshirt. I wear one in the Florida heat & it's not unbearable. Plus it keeps the sun off you.

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
I'm sure I'm going to pay the price for it some day, but I started off with a full face helmet and textile jacket with full armor. Between the Texas heat and the comfort factor in general, I spend WAY too many miles now wearing a half helmet and either just a t-shirt or a t-shirt and leather vest. Not advocating this though. All it takes is one fall and I will be made immediately aware of the gravity of my decision.

My daughter's helmet after her unscheduled dismount last September. Anything less than a full face?

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Learned to ride last year, bought the full face, full mesh armor top and bottoms, riding boots and gloves. Rode a ton with the cooler weather... all decked out. I now know the challenge of donning all that when 90 degrees out and I have gone around town with the simple thin over shirts and jeans a few times so far....but I think I'm done taking the risk. Too much risk and just like Whiskey and his non-smoking...I'm staying with it.

I bought some "cooling shirts" for under my armored mesh Hi-Viz yellow jacket. I bought new "draggin jeans" and I have some "Bohn Armor" shorts (basically armored underwear) under that for the high speed trips. I just bought a new white Shoei modulated helmet that came today...literally from reading this thread. I officially need a part time job to simply pay for all this now but I know I don't want regrets.

Funny thing...I have a blue and white bike....and I wear my very cop looking hi-viz jacket with dark colored riding pants.....I can't tell you the "nods" I get from all the citizens in their cars....very cautious and courteous around me.

I have been pulling out from a side street and waiting for openings to go and cars quickly slow down right when I'm in view....they must think I have a radar gun on them or something. I finally said to myself I would be an idiot to not play this out....I'll work every advantage I can get. No regrets !

·
Registered
100 Posts
DallasJoe, try a mesh jacket. Even without armor it will give a lot more protection than a tshirt. I wear one in the Florida heat & it's not unbearable. Plus it keeps the sun off you.
Funny that you should mention that. My wife just got a mesh armored jacket a couple weeks ago for her bike and she says it is MUCH better in the heat than her textile jacket. I will probably do the same. So thanks for the reminder!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Kuzmandew: Welcome to the hobby where buying the bike is just the tip of the iceberg in money spent. Now, with that being said, any money spent on items that make you safer and give you a better chance of surviving a slide (which everyone does at some point), are cheap compared to the pain, suffering and medical costs and should never be compromised in the name of economy. I have several motorcycle jackets depending upon the weather and ride. I have a Joe Rocket mesh armoured one that is my regular go-to in the summer. It's pretty cool up to the 80's and especially with a breeze. My ultimate jacket is a Tourmaster Transition 4. It is super versatile, with more vents, flaps and pockets then I have ever seen. It's a heavy jacket, but fully armoured and can be configured so it's reasonably cool except on the hot summer days. (It can be waterproof too). Both jackets have liners that I keep in my saddlebags if I need additional warmth.

Layering and having options is the key to comfortable/safe riding. I keep several styles of gloves with me at all times, have both long and short sleeve t-shirts and even carry a fleece neck gaiter in the bags. Being able to strip down or suit up as the weather changes throughout the day make all the difference and helps keep your focus on riding versus thinking about how cold/hot/uncomfortable you are. I just bought a two piece rain suit and waterproof gloves that will be added to wardrobe for foul weather riding (which I have to get some practice in).

Add all these up along with a couple of helmets (another is on the horizon), several sets of boots (new Forma Adventures are in the mail) and some helmet electronics and additional lighting for the bike to see and be seen better and I've easily doubled my investment. My wife has NEVER questioned the money spent on these items because, as a nurse, she wants me to be safe and comfortable and anything that is gonna help get me back home to her in one piece is a non-negotiable item in her book.

Now let's not even talk about all the chrome bits and go-fast accessories!

PS: How you liking the Bohn Armour? I've been considering getting a set of their pants to wear under my jeans, as my fat a** doesn't fit in most manufacturer's armoured jeans.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I will make one last recommendation to anyone considering a new helmet (or anyone for that matter).

Once you know that the helmet fits correctly, please go to amazon.com and get three of the stickers below and put them on each side and on the back of your helmet. They may just save you from life in a wheelchair in the event of an accident. My wife has seen more damage done by well-meaning, good Samaritans and will not let me put on a new helmet without them. I've had MSF course instructors and police officers comment on them and they can be a great conversation starter with other riders. (I actually keep a few in my bags to hand out). More cheap insurance.

https://www.amazon.com/CAUTION-INJURED-HELMET-Printed-surface/dp/B00BQ3C83M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528301620&sr=8-1&keywords=caution+if+rider+is+injured&dpID=41i6kyRe-eL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Be safe out there!

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
I will make one last recommendation to anyone considering a new helmet (or anyone for that matter).

Once you know that the helmet fits correctly, please go to amazon.com and get three of the stickers below and put them on each side and on the back of your helmet. They may just save you from life in a wheelchair in the event of an accident. My wife has seen more damage done by well-meaning, good Samaritans and will not let me put on a new helmet without them. I've had MSF course instructors and police officers comment on them and they can be a great conversation starter with other riders. (I actually keep a few in my bags to hand out). More cheap insurance.

https://www.amazon.com/CAUTION-INJURED-HELMET-Printed-surface/dp/B00BQ3C83M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528301620&sr=8-1&keywords=caution+if+rider+is+injured&dpID=41i6kyRe-eL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Be safe out there!
That's why I like shoei with the quick release tabs

·
Premium Member
3,627 Posts
Picked some up at bike events here in FL. They also give out card to list you meds & emergency info.

·
Premium Member
3,627 Posts
I must of missed something ?
Helmet should not be removed unless it's a necessary to insert an airway.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I must of missed something ?
Helmet should not be removed unless it's a necessary to insert an airway.
Many people coming upon a motorcycle accident instinctively want to help the downed and injured biker. In an effort to make them comfortable or give them some air, they will attempt to take the helmet off and possibly further damaging a spinal injury. As a nurse, she’s seen some pretty horrific things that were the result of good intentions. Many EMTs are trained not to remove the helmet and immobilize the neck and helmet as one unit.

I also carry an emergency info card in my wallet with meds, allergies, contacts and blood type. I know a lot of people carry this type of info on their phone, but many times it’s lost, damaged or locked.

Finally, I have an app on my phone that includes Crashlight, an app that tracks you while you’re riding and if it senses a crash (hard deceleration followed by stillness) it will sound an alarm on your phone and text several contacts with your GPS coordinates. This will help especially if you run off the road and may not be immediately visible. It has a 30 second buffer before activating to allow you to cancel it in the event of a false alarm. It’s part of the Eat/Sleep/Ride app.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Finally, I have an app on my phone that includes Crashlight, an app that tracks you while you’re riding and if it senses a crash (hard deceleration followed by stillness) it will sound an alarm on your phone and text several contacts with your GPS coordinates. This will help especially if you run off the road and may not be immediately visible. It has a 30 second buffer before activating to allow you to cancel it in the event of a false alarm. It’s part of the Eat/Sleep/Ride app.[/QUOTE]

Interesting about the Crashlight app...I will check that out. Regarding the money spent on safety I'm all over it. Can't put a price on something that can prevent so much misery.

I haven't used the Bohn Armor yet...still waiting for the jeans to come in first. I've worn the Bohn Armor mesh shirt with the CE protection. Its fits great with tons of air flow and the protection stays in place nicely. Plus it makes me look absolutely jacked in the shoulders...like a Power Ranger on two wheels. Thats just a bonus.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
3,627 Posts
First crash, nurse was first on scene & didn't remove my helmet. 2nd time, Dr & EMT (riding behind us) was & didn't remove but EMT in ambulance did. That's when I got the stickers. Last time I removed helmet immediately after getting up.
My son was an EMT & they were taught only to remove helmet if breathing tube was needed.
I wear a modular, so at least it can be opened.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts