Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With saddlebags on my 2017 C50T the OEM helmet lock became inaccessible. So, the project of relocating it was initiated. I considered the many posts on this forum for ideas and finally settled on the following:
  • relocate the OEM lock instead of buying another one with yet another key
  • ensure that the lock cannot be easily removed - OEM lock bolts on with a tamper proof torx head accessible only when unlocked and it threads into a welded nut
  • position of the lock should be able to accomodate a helmet without touching any painted surfaces of the motorcycle

So, I decided to have the lock mounted on the throttle side of the handlebar. Now came the task of finding a 25mm handlebar adapter. I looked and was not content with the options available. So, one had to be machined or 3D printed - opted for first cut as 3D printed. Here are pictures of the project with some pertinent notes:

2017 C50T with Tsukayu saddlebags:

measure, compute, and measure again:

3D design of bracket done on tinkercad:

3D print with supports that need to be removed:

front bracket with M4 allen bolts:

front bracket with M6 nut in pocket for OEM style tamper proof torx head bolt:

rear bracket with M4 nuts in pockets:

installed on throttle side of handlebar:

·
Registered
119 Posts
This one had been easyer...but not better. The flat backplate made the position of yours possible. I like self-made more. Respect to be so inventive!
No one would steal your helmet in Holland anyway. A helmet like that is not allowed here 😁.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @shotsailor - I saw that as well as another one on ebay. I did consider it and decided against it for two reasons - to use as is I would be carrying another key and the dimensions are too off to use just the mount with the OEM lock.

·
Super Moderator
22,942 Posts
nice job...never used the lock on mine...one of the plus's living in the country. If I'm worried about leaving it unlocked on the mc when I take it off, I secure it to the bike frame using one of
these I keep in the saddlebag.

lock.jpg

harbor freight...$6.

·
Registered
9 Posts
With saddlebags on my 2017 C50T the OEM helmet lock became inaccessible. So, the project of relocating it was initiated. I considered the many posts on this forum for ideas and finally settled on the following:
  • relocate the OEM lock instead of buying another one with yet another key
  • ensure that the lock cannot be easily removed - OEM lock bolts on with a tamper proof torx head accessible only when unlocked and it threads into a welded nut
  • position of the lock should be able to accomodate a helmet without touching any painted surfaces of the motorcycle

So, I decided to have the lock mounted on the throttle side of the handlebar. Now came the task of finding a 25mm handlebar adapter. I looked and was not content with the options available. So, one had to be machined or 3D printed - opted for first cut as 3D printed. Here are pictures of the project with some pertinent notes:

2017 C50T with Tsukayu saddlebags:
View attachment 146997

measure, compute, and measure again: View attachment 146998

3D design of bracket done on tinkercad:
View attachment 146999

View attachment 147000

View attachment 147001

3D print with supports that need to be removed:
View attachment 147002

front bracket with M4 allen bolts:
View attachment 147003

front bracket with M6 nut in pocket for OEM style tamper proof torx head bolt: