Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time for a new helmet. I have used half and 3/4 helmets but this time I am going for a Modular style. I have narrowed my choices to the following. I would appreciate hearing about any of these you have experience or knowledge of.
Speed and Strength SS1700 Lock And Load Motorcycle Helmet - BikeBandit.com

Scorpion EXO 900 3-in-1 Transformer Solid Helmet - BikeBandit.com

Shoei Multitec Modular Metallic Motorcycle Helmet - BikeBandit.com

HJC SyMax 3 Hi-Viz Helmet - RevZilla

Bell Revolver EVO Hi-Vis Helmet - RevZilla

Nexx X30V Hi-Viz Core Helmet - RevZilla

Nolan N44 Hi Vis Helmet - RevZilla

THANKS

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
We use the HJC SyMax Modular. Decent price and value. 3 years later now, a little noisy but if you are used to 1/2 and 3/4, then you know about wind noise. Sizing is important. We shopped in person for helmets and then bought online. After awhile, I felt the padding was too tight on long rides, so I was able to change out the cheek and head pieces to the next size up.

We have a set of Shoei FF and the lightweight construction is evident when you hold it up against the much heavier HJC. We would love to have the Shoei modulars but can't spend that kind of money.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ive bought the Bell Revolver Evo before, I didnt like it. I thought it was cheaply made and had a funny shape.
Another lack of foresight is that the breath guard needs to be removed to flip up the face.

It's not on your list, but i currently have the Nolan N90. i think it is great, very round shape and kinda heavy. had some problems attaching my Scala G4. but other than that i love it. I believe the Nolan and Shoei flip up mechanism is the most secure as it has 2 mechanisms to lock the face down.

check out the Nolan N90, which is discontinued and super closeout, or it's replacement Nolan N91

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ive bought the Bell Revolver Evo before, I didnt like it. I thought it was cheaply made .....
+1. I bought one and had it in the box to ship back the same day. The flip down sun visor mechanism and the closures were ticky-tacky. I have a Bell Vortex full face that is great but I would stay away from the Evo.

Good hunting

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I have and use two HJC modular SyMax helmets. The reason is that they fit the shape of my head. I tried others and they did not fit as well. I think head shape makes a huge difference in which brand helmet works for you. I bought a HJC full helmet (for riding in the pouring rain), but I end up using the modular most of the time. The small difference in weight does not seem to make much difference for me even on extended week long rides.

I have one set up with my Sena so I can listen to tunes and even answer the phone, though I have yet to use that option.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We use the HJC SyMax Modular. Decent price and value. 3 years later now, a little noisy but if you are used to 1/2 and 3/4, then you know about wind noise. Sizing is important. We shopped in person for helmets and then bought online. After awhile, I felt the padding was too tight on long rides, so I was able to change out the cheek and head pieces to the next size up.

We have a set of Shoei FF and the lightweight construction is evident when you hold it up against the much heavier HJC. We would love to have the Shoei modulars but can't spend that kind of money.
The Shoeii at $309 is a more than I wanted to spend but I wanted opinions on it. If it is really great I may save a little longer and get it. My 1/2 helmet is HJC and the quality was good for the price. My 3/4 is a Scorpion and I use it most of the time. Thanks.

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
I think if you spent the extra bucks on the Shoei, youd be well served. Quite a bit lighter than all your other options. Lighter is better. Shoei is also going to be more comfy over the long haul. I also know from experience that HJC makes a fine, but heavy helmet. Bell is bell, and scorpion helmets are good, too.

I would probably list my preference in that order.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
The Shoeii at $309 is a more than I wanted to spend but I wanted opinions on it. If it is really great I may save a little longer and get it. My 1/2 helmet is HJC and the quality was good for the price. My 3/4 is a Scorpion and I use it most of the time. Thanks.
I have the Shoei. It is unbelievably quiet and comfortable for a modular!!! I paid a lot more than $309 for it, but it was worth every penny!! I absolutely LOVE mine!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
I have a few Modulars- due to me wearing glasses. My recent addition is my EXO900 Scorpion in Hi Vis.. I absolutely love it!! quiet and oh so comfortable. It can turn into a 3/4 which I love too.
Venting is effective and the optics are clear and effective (the flip down shade is great and effective) . I haven't worn my others after getting the Scorpion..
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My list now looks like this: 1.Shoeii 2.Scorpion. Evo is off the list with two thumbs down and HJC just because of the weight. Now if I could here about the other three on my list I would be an informed buyer! Thanks.

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
The best thing you can do is go to a shop that carries a bunch of the helmets you are interested in. Try each of them on. Not just for a minute or two, but for 20 minutes or longer. Note any pressure points or hotspots that develop. Better to rule out a helmet based on fit and feel BEFORE you plop down the money for one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The best thing you can do is go to a shop that carries a bunch of the helmets you are interested in. Try each of them on. Not just for a minute or two, but for 20 minutes or longer. Note any pressure points or hotspots that develop. Better to rule out a helmet based on fit and feel BEFORE you plop down the money for one.
Absolutely. I just wanted to narrow the selection before I get there. I have three local shops to check out then if the weather is right (dry and above 38 ) I can expand to larger shops in Birmingham, Nashville, or Atlanta. THANKS for everyone's input. NOTE: No Ultra marathons for me - I am still working up to my first marathon - got the Half Marathons done last year.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I have a few Modulars- due to me wearing glasses. My recent addition is my EXO900 Scorpion in Hi Vis.. I absolutely love it!! quiet and oh so comfortable. It can turn into a 3/4 which I love too.
Venting is effective and the optics are clear and effective (the flip down shade is great and effective) . I haven't worn my others after getting the Scorpion..
Cheers
Dave
Sounds like it might be the helmet for me. :wayhappy:

But, When I ride with the wife communication is a must for us we currently use the Cardo Scala rider Q2 multiset . Does the EXO900 Scorpion accommodate the Cardo ear speaker system?

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
NOTE: No Ultra marathons for me - I am still working up to my first marathon - got the Half Marathons done last year.
Outstanding!! Good luck with that goal!!! It was only four years ago that I thought people who ran Marathons were in need of psychological help... :biglaugh:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Outstanding!! Good luck with that goal!!! It was only four years ago that I thought people who ran Marathons were in need of psychological help... :biglaugh:
Good luck on your next Ultra. My family thinks I am nuts training for my first Marathon at 60....at least the Grandkids still love me!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had a Bell and Hated it... went to a Shuberth C3 Pro
expensive yes, I love it... it's the best I have owned in 30 years....
notice it was not on your list, but you should look at if you didn't

·
Registered
43 Posts
+1 on the EX900. This was my first helmet, so I don't have a lot to compare it to, but after 6 months I still like it. I just got a pair of Cardo G9's for my wife and I for Xmas and had no trouble installing them in my EX900 and her EX700.

I like the drop down shades in these - they're dark enough for me even heading west at sundown, but my wife likes to wear normal shades with hers too.

Ignore the inflatable fit feature...that seems like an unnecessary gimmick.

Again, without anything else to compare it to, I have no complaints about the EX900's build quality.

RenHoek

1 - 20 of 31 Posts