Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,212 Posts
Rode it 70miles home and its probably 1000 to Florida, I'm good :) kidding.

Not all straight like stuff, and honestly slow speed stuff is the scariest. Highway merging and ramps didn't seem to bother me at all, but turning onto a blind intersection had me sketched out.
The slow speed stuff is the hardest. That's where the parking lot comes in. I live right behind a school, so I go to their parking lot all the time to practice. They have painted spots for the buses to park in that are rather large and I will weave through them, trying to turn around without going over the lines.

Back when I took the BRC and my test, I could barely make it through the u-turn box. I took the ARC a few years ago, and after doing that practice, I was scraping pegs in the u-turn box and had lots of room to spare on my turns.

My pro-tip for you on slow speed maneuvering is to use your rear brake. If you rev the engine up a bit, slip the clutch, and drag the rear brake, you will find that the bike becomes extremely stable at slow speeds. I was barely able to keep it up below about 20 mph until I figured out the rear brake trick and now I can roll along below 5 mph without a problem.

Still can't balance enough to keep it up sitting still, but I'll get that down one day. Until then, at least I'm providing some laughs for people at traffic lights. :giggle:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you want to see some low speed expertise, go on YouTube and search for motorcycle police officer competition videos. Brings low speed maneuvering to a whole new level and raises my appreciation of motorcycle officers several pegs. Just Amazing!
I had found some videos of a group of new officers learning and some had no riding experience, I agree pretty amazing stuff they do.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts