Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first good bike, 20+ years ago dabbled with broken stuff (aka cheap), a 650 Yamaha with something wrong with the trans and a 450 Honda Hawk which after fork seals would have been a nice learner bike but sadly didn't really do much and the urban jungle pretty much destroyed it... Had kids playing on it, etc etc.

So was watching various youtube videos and got the bug, wife thought I was nuts as when I said "I used to like riding", she was like "I never saw or heard about this".. Been with her for 20 years. So I started searching and less than a month found this, a 2013 Suzuki Boulevard C50. I was stoked because I paid pretty much what the older bikes were going for, but this has the digital fuel gauge (huge selling point to me, lol). It has a couple little dings on the stock pipes, I'll probably do worse learning on it for sure.

Going to take off the bags the guy left on, they all ripped up anyways. Might remove the sissy bar, but kinda like the luggage rack, so not sure yet. Can't really afford any upgrades for a bit, need to get a good helmet and comms, because not being able to use phone while riding felt like a hindrance for sure. Windshield might be a first upgrade because at 50+ mph the wind was beating me up, not sure I'm a wimp or not, I think it was pretty windy, app said "gusts to 20". Couple times felt like it was trying to take the helmet off.

I must have watched 100+ motorcycle videos in the past month, my feed is 90% bikes now. It kinda made it hard to just give up the idea to be honest, YT is an enabler.

Next was to seek out a forum so I can read up on more related information, so here I am ;)

·
Super Moderator
20,481 Posts
welcome to the family...get lowers if you get a shield...will help w/the buffeting you may experience from the shield...keep an eye out for a mustang or ultimate seat used,,,assuming you have the stock oem seat, you may start to find lots of discomfort after about 75 minutes on the road...you may not but if you do, those seem to be the best choices, be aware the mustang will sit you hiher and a bit closer to the tank whereas the ultimate, harder to find used, sits like the oem seat but a thousand times more comfortable. Good luck, enjoy the new toy and hopefully from what I remember riding thru the streets of Philly when my daughter lived there, the pot hole situation has improved. Ride safe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks, took the bags and sissy bar off, first negative thing is every allen screw the previous owner touched he attempted to strip, nothing mechanical but every body part related to the seat and the mounting system for the saddle bags was all buggered up.

I'm a little OCD to stuff like that.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
you may start to find lots of discomfort after about 75 minutes on the road...
You must have a dead ass, or one made of steel.
15 minutes was about my threshold on that brick of a seat.

Welcome aboard Chuck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You must have a dead ass, or one made of steel.
15 minutes was about my threshold on that brick of a seat.

Welcome aboard Chuck.
That's funny, my first ride home was almost 2 hours and I just had some lower back pain. I ride bicycles so many I'm just used to being uncomfortable. I was so focused on other things tho, like not dying on the maiden voyage home :) .

I have the whole trip on dashcam from my wife following me, and her and the daughters commentary about the new purchase.. Lines such as: He knew he was buying this before he saw it & He won't probably die, just get really messed up. Listening was better than me watching myself, that sounds kinda weird but was more looking for things I was doing wrong. Heel-toe shifter was messing me up, I was just trying to use the front because I think the prior owned had it more adjusted up, but often when I'd lift my foot up, I'd smack the back part and put it in neutral.. got me a few times.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
As the monkey said, get yourself a nice seat, it makes all the difference between sitting on a bike and sitting in it.
Also, investigate the DJ drive, it's the best thing you can ever do with this bike.

And nothing will piss you off more than when you're in 5th, wishing for a 6th, and need to pass someone, so you drop down a gear and it only revs higher but goes slower.

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
Greetings from Indiana, Chuck. Many helpful advices so far and I'll throw in mine. If you have lower back or shoulder pain after riding, you'll probably benefit from a pair of risers. They will raise the handle bars and bring them back a little so you sit in a more upright and proper position. You won't have to reach as far for the bars. I put some Barrons on mine with a 4" lift and 1&1/2" pullback and my back and shoulder pain disappeared.

·
Super Moderator
25,212 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

If it's been more than 20 years since you rode, I'd recommend taking a training course to knock the rust off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

If it's been more than 20 years since you rode, I'd recommend taking a training course to knock the rust off.
I plan to, I was never really a seasoned rider. Unfortunately the safety course is shutdown in PA due to covid, I can't even get my permit right now (shhh). I really wanted that next level, 1300 cruiser but reality set in and did the 800cc first, I'm 260lb so probably makes it more like a 650 :)

Thanks to the internet tho, I plan to do some practice, I like the Ride Like a Pro Jerry Palladino YT guy. Wish I lived in Florida, I'd probably take his course.

·
Super Moderator
25,212 Posts
I plan to, I was never really a seasoned rider. Unfortunately the safety course is shutdown in PA due to covid, I can't even get my permit right now (shhh). I really wanted that next level, 1300 cruiser but reality set in and did the 800cc first, I'm 260lb so probably makes it more like a 650 :)

Thanks to the internet tho, I plan to do some practice, I like the Ride Like a Pro Jerry Palladino YT guy. Wish I lived in Florida, I'd probably take his course.
Once things let up, school parking lots are great to practice in. I wouldn't suggest it at the moment since you don't have a permit. You might get a cop questioning what you're doing there.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Welcome from the other side...of PA that is. Near Pittsburgh.

1) Yup, When you're riding, stick the phone where the sun don't shine.
Like a pocket or something.
What did you think I meant? 😁

2) When you can, you might want to consider a windshield. I find it makes my riding, especially at highways speeds, much less tiresome.

3) My wife thought I was nuts too, back when I started riding. But now, all these years later...She still thinks I'm nuts. Go figure.

Enjoy the ride.
😎

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Greetings from Arizona (at least for now). Lots of good advise so far. I'd add that if you are having issues with stuck nuts and bolts, go on Amazon and buy a can of KROIL. Stuff is amazing. I restore classic British cars in my spare time and it's been a real life saver for me. Trick is spray it in, tap the nut with a hammer, let it sit and then go after it.

I've done the windscreen, DJ Drive, handlebar risers/pullbacks and the Mustang seat. Haven't regrets any of them. My 2 cents on mods are...1) You can never have too many lights front and rear. Better to be seen and annoying than not seen and dead. 2) Stebel air horn with a relay kit. LOUD and will wake the cagers out of their stupor. 3) Look into a VoloLights plate frame. 2/3rds of your deceleration come from downshifting and rolling off the throttle, both of which do not activate your brake light. Cars following you have little warning of you slowing down and because of your narrow profile, they don't always notice you slowing down in relation to the surroundings. The VoloLights frame uses decelerators to sense your deceleration and flashes a set of LEDS to notify those following you. I have seen a marked difference in how people follow me with it on my bike. Cheap insurance to help from getting rear ended.

Lastly remember, chrome makes your bike go faster, black it the fastest color and DO NOT ask any oil questions! LOL

Ride Safe & Often

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Greetings from Arizona (at least for now). Lots of good advise so far. I'd add that if you are having issues with stuck nuts and bolts, go on Amazon and buy a can of KROIL. Stuff is amazing. I restore classic British cars in my spare time and it's been a real life saver for me. Trick is spray it in, tap the nut with a hammer, let it sit and then go after it.

I've done the windscreen, DJ Drive, handlebar risers/pullbacks and the Mustang seat. Haven't regrets any of them. My 2 cents on mods are...1) You can never have too many lights front and rear. Better to be seen and annoying than not seen and dead. 2) Stebel air horn with a relay kit. LOUD and will wake the cagers out of their stupor. 3) Look into a VoloLights plate frame. 2/3rds of your deceleration come from downshifting and rolling off the throttle, both of which do not activate your brake light. Cars following you have little warning of you slowing down and because of your narrow profile, they don't always notice you slowing down in relation to the surroundings. The VoloLights frame uses decelerators to sense your deceleration and flashes a set of LEDS to notify those following you. I have seen a marked difference in how people follow me with it on my bike. Cheap insurance to help from getting rear ended.

Lastly remember, chrome makes your bike go faster, black it the fastest color and DO NOT ask any oil questions! LOL

Ride Safe & Often
Thanks for the safety ideas, I think I've seen the flashing and not even thought to what that was. Glad it helps, I have my doubts about people here they might take it as a reason to aggressively pass me :) Philly is an armpit of a city when it comes to driving.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Ride Like A Pro requires you to have 1000 miles experience. It is not a beginners course. But doing the parking lot practice is very useful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ride Like A Pro requires you to have 1000 miles experience. It is not a beginners course. But doing the parking lot practice is very useful.
Rode it 70miles home and its probably 1000 to Florida, I'm good :) kidding.

Not all straight like stuff, and honestly slow speed stuff is the scariest. Highway merging and ramps didn't seem to bother me at all, but turning onto a blind intersection had me sketched out.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
If you want to see some low speed expertise, go on YouTube and search for motorcycle police officer competition videos. Brings low speed maneuvering to a whole new level and raises my appreciation of motorcycle officers several pegs. Just Amazing!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts