Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I'm Joe and I just finished the MSF here in Boston, MA and got my license. Just bought a 2003 VL800 with crash bars, passenger seat with sissy bar and leather saddlebags. My first bike! Thank you all for adding me and this forum looks so welcoming and friendly. Im really looking forward to learning from all of you as a new rider. Oh and a quick question. How far does a full tank usually last? Is there any tricks or tips I should know? or any must need accessories? Much love and wash your hands lol

Thank you all so much!
Joseph

·
Super Moderator
20,787 Posts
welcome to the family here Joe...you may find yourself inquiring about a different seat if yours is the original oem seat...good replacement is the mustang or ultimate, can usually find a mustang used at a good price. Enjoy and ride safe and keep an eye open for things like rallies or lunch meets, wrench party's etc. here in the northeast, always something going on.

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
Welcome from Florida :)

Reactions: Volusiajoe2003

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Greetings from Framingham, MA (but not for long!) Welcome to one of the best Forums on the planet. Lots of friendly people with tons of experience. I have an original 01 Volusia and an 07 Boulevard. Love them both!

Smart to do the MSF course, now practice, practice, practice. Invest in some good safety gear and wear it all the time. Remember...You'd rather sweat than bleed.

Ride Safe and Often!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Greetings from Framingham, MA (but not for long!) Welcome to one of the best Forums on the planet. Lots of friendly people with tons of experience. I have an original 01 Volusia and an 07 Boulevard. Love them both!

Smart to do the MSF course, now practice, practice, practice. Invest in some good safety gear and wear it all the time. Remember...You'd rather sweat than bleed.

Ride Safe and Often!
Hi LeLimoMan!
Thank you for the kind welcome! I'm so glad I did the MSF course. It was so informative and I left honestly feeling good and safe. I ride with a thick leather new motorcycle jacket, full face helmet and leather boots. I have yet to buy the kevlar jeans I spent 3 hours in line at one of the few dmv's open today. When I got home I got her inspected and rode for about 2 hours. I'm super looking forward to the future

Safe riding!
Joe

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Welcome... better late then never! Lol. Ride safe and ride often. I get under 200 kms (125 miles) to a tank. I'm running cobra shorty exhaust, fuel commander, and a short ram intake and I like the go button off the line.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome from ky! My c50 is my first bike and a great one to learn on. I go about 130-150 miles before the low fuel light comes on. Then theres still about a gallon in the tank. I'm pretty much stock aside from debaffled pipes.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
How the HELL did I miss a welcome from Massachusetts? What part of town are you from son? I am down in Norton, MA. As the Monkey said, we have a good bunch of bananas here, even though LeLimoMan is getting out of Dodge.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Welcome from just North of but not quite in Pittsburgh, PA.

You did it the right way, taking the MSF course. It sounds like you made some good riding gear choices, too.

I'm not sure of the range or your bike, but you'll eventually find out. :giggle:

Accessories? If you end up riding long distances, you might want to look into a windshield. Some people like 'em, some don't. They are a pure bitch to get set up right, sometimes needing a lot of trial and error, but I find they make long highway trips a lot more comfortable.
Take your time...You don't have to get everything all at once (although it's temping.) Search the forum first for good advice and recommendations.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Welcome from sunny AZ..........
How the HELL did I miss a welcome from Massachusetts? What part of town are you from son? I am down in Norton, MA. As the Monkey said, we have a good bunch of bananas here, even though LeLimoMan is getting out of Dodge.
Still home based in MA, but I am currently at our new house in Arizona for the duration of the pandemic. Working remotely with the wife and dog. Getting lots done on the house in preparation for the BIG move. Out here trying to find a new job, but not having any great success. Companies are still placing ads, but haven't been able to interview.

I second the windscreen! Makes long distance highway riding a lot more comfortable. I have a National Cycle Switchblade on mine and love it. It goes on and off easily as I need it. Other accessories that are good are more lights front and rear. You can never have too many lights so you can be seen. I also recommend a Stebel airhorn. Better to be heard if they don't see you. And the last item is a Vololights license plate frame.

2/3rds of yours deceleration is caused by downshifting and rolling off the throttle, both of which do NOT activate your brake light. Cars following you don't easily judge you deceleration and can come up on you fast. This accessory uses a deceleratorometer to sense your slowing down and flashes a series of LEDs around the plate frame. I have noticed a serious difference on how cars follow me after I installed it and have had several police officers stop me to inquire about the it. All of my local motorcycle officers have them on their bikes now.

So remember...more lights, more sound and anything else to make you visible to cagers is a good thing. As I tell my son when he rides...Assume you are invisible and that everyone is trying to kill you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

View attachment 144904
Hey im from Jamaica Plain! happy to see another east coaster. My bike is currently is in the shop because i hit a pothole and killed it but the shop is gonna fix it. they just found what the cause is. I broke the intake manifold

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Hey im from Jamaica Plain! happy to see another east coaster. My bike is currently is in the shop because i hit a pothole and killed it but the shop is gonna fix it. they just found what the cause is. I broke the intake manifold
I know where JP is! my wife is from Hyde Park my grand parents were from Roslindale. Keep an eye on the forum and look for rides. We can meet up if we are both going. Did you buy your bike from MOMS in Foxboro?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know where JP is! my wife is from Hyde Park my grand parents were from Roslindale. Keep an eye on the forum and look for rides. We can meet up if we are both going. Did you buy your bike from MOMS in Foxboro?
sure thing! I did go to moms and they were super amazing there but I bought my volusia on facebook marketplace. amazing price and its not so nice/clean that i baby it but not too beat up where I don't care If i ding or dent it. Know what I mean

1 - 20 of 21 Posts