Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What opinions do you guys have on electric or battery powered heated gloves?
It's the only thing that gets cold on me so I'm ready to spend the bucks to keep them warm.
Also I need xxlg or xxxlg been looking at a couple different brands.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,146 Posts
spend the extra money and get the ones that hook up to your battery..be it directly to the battery or thru a power port. Nothing worse than being on the road on a cold day and then your batteries die in your gloves.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I keep looking at heated gear, but end up not buying. For me, if it's that cold, I'd rather not ride.

I do have heated grips, and a pair of heavily insulated riding gloves (only insulated on the topside) which keep my hands warm enough for the riding I do like...

·
Super Moderator
26,146 Posts
in the end..if you're addicted to riding like me...its then about the comfort and safety of the ride. Nothing worse than cold hands. Your going to spend around $60 for battery operated gloves..don't know if thats what they cost...heated gloves...gerbings...etc...run you around $120...is your comfort/safety worth another $60. Got my heated gloves after my 1st year of riding...2004...got my heated liner a few years ago and wish i would have spent the money when I bought the gloves. No better feeling in January if the roads permit... than feeding the much needed riding fix.

·
Registered
21,402 Posts
I got the Venture + heated jacket liner and gauntlets. Been out in temps below 32* on the bike and the only thing on me that got cold were my feet.

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
I was that guy that thought he would never use them. Now I use a heated jacket and gloves I would never switch.

I use Gerbings jacket and tour master glove liners.

All the brands are good, but the battery powered ones are only good for hunters. Go with a plug in model.

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
Correction, I use powerlets rapid fire glove liners.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I have heated liners, which I like better than a full heated glove. With the liners, you can use whatever glove you want over the top. I have a set of Firstgear's. They connect to my dual controller for my Gerbings jacket liner.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Heated gloves make a world of difference. Definitely use bike juice to power them. I bought the FirstGear heated gloves last year and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
This will be my third season using Gerbing jacket liner and G3 gloves. Wish I had gotten them sooner.
Layers are still key. I wear a long sleeve under armor top (I'm going to try the cycle gear freeze out line if this ever wears out)then heated liner, then a hoody, then leather jacket. I've ridden my 30 mile trip to work in single digits without getting uncomfortably cold.

·
Super Moderator
34,437 Posts
I have the Sedici HotWired gloves from Cycle Gear. I cuss them every time I put them on and have to deal with getting the wires tucked and everything situated, them praise them about 30 seconds later when I roll off on the bike. They're the best money I've spent on the bike. Much like you, I was comfortable everywhere else, but my fingers were freezing. Do it, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have the original gerbings. I arrived home after a ride and my hands were so cold I could not get the key out to open the front door. When I finally got in, I had to run my hands under hot water. Yes, I scalded them. The next day I drove (car) down to Eagle Leather and purchased Gerbings gloves. They came with a wire to run down your arms. I went for a ride. My hands were toasty warm. Then too hot, but hot was better than 28F.

The next weekend, I rode back to Eagle leather, purchased the jacket liner (wires for gloves run down the sleeves), dual variable controller and leather dual variable controller pouch and a 2 prong to round adapter (for the sporty and Triumph and BMW to use the battery tender plug). Now I was in heaven, tee shirt, light shirt, Gerbings liner, jacket. Hook dual controller on belt. Hands perfect, torso perfect, life good. I later added heated boot soles, but started using Muck boots in the winter so the heated soles don't get much use.

My recommendations.
1. While the gloves may feel thick in the store, they do not feel thick when it is below 40F. They feel great.
2. Get the jacket liner. It is a pita to run the loose wires down your sleeves every time, plus using the heated jacket liner you can dress lightly under your coat and not feel like the Michelin man.
3. Get the dual controller. First the off/on is either full on for full off. The variable controller is just right. Secondly, your hands and torso need to be set at different levels and the variable allows you to reduce heat as it warms during the day and jack it up as you run home late at night.

My textile jacket has a belt, onto which I clip the dual controller. Handy and easy to get off and on bike. I just use a spare black leather belt when I wear my leather jacket. Clip the dual variable controller onto the belt and concentrate on the ride.

Since I purchased these (for the C50), I have used them on every 12 volt bikes with no issues. BMW, Harley, Harley Lite, Suzuki VStrom, Triumph Bonneville, and dual sport/enduros.

Heated grips are great down to 40F, especially when used with hand guards that break the wind from your glove, but below 40F down to the low 20Fs, heated gloves not only make riding possible, they make it fun.

Get a good fitting face mask.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have heated everything (gloves, jacket, pants, shoe liners) and wouldn't trade it for the world. Even with the dual controller, the pants are super hot, especially when worn over slacks, and are still too hot over jeans in comparison to the jacket temp. The biggest thing for me has also been my hands, and nothing solved it until I got the gloves. I run them anytime it's 40-anything or colder. I used to wear my regular leather gloves underneath snowmobile gloves and my hands still froze. All Gerbings for me.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I bought the Tourmaster Synergy heated gloves and jacket liner and I am a big fan. Each piece comes with its own controller in the package and you can hook them up separately for higher heat on the gloves than jacket (or vice versa) or hook them up together and just use one controller for the whole rig. You can also add heated pant liners and even heated boot insoles! I've had my Tourmaster stuff for 4-5 years now and still work great.

Gerbings is supposed to be a great product but you pay extra for the controllers (or used to).

Like others have said, battery packs will wear out just when you need them the most, and for the 10 minutes it will take to hook up your pigtails to the MC battery, it's worth it to go that route.

Or you could just buy a Goldwing with heated seats, grips, and footwarmers and be done with it! :shades:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
What opinions do you guys have on electric or battery powered heated gloves?
It's the only thing that gets cold on me so I'm ready to spend the bucks to keep them warm.
Also I need xxlg or xxxlg been looking at a couple different brands.
Thanks
Motorcyclists have been thinking about this since 1968 when batteries and alternator/generators became powerful enough to warm our bodies as well as our souls.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.