Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello dudes, maybe this is old news but ill share anyway for the sake of not having unnecessary new posts in the "rider down" section.

There's a problem going on with Sylvania bulbs that cause them to burn out very quick. I received a letter for a settlement from a lawsuit (or something to that effect) but didnt really pay much attention. Well, today on my way home at night I noticed my recently changed "long life" brake bulb (2397) had was stuck lit up as if the brake was pressed because one of those ...fillaments??...were burned out.

Long story short, If you have this bulb, keep an eye on it. We get rear ended enough as is.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the bulb has two filaments (those coiled little strings that get bright right?...) one burned out, the weaker one i suppose. Im actually not sure if the brake light was stuck on "running" mode or braking mode, but thats besides the point.

I put the original bulb back in and problem solved.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The weaker one as you call it is the tail light. The larger brighter one is the brake light. If it is stuck on, it is because the brake switch is on.

Reactions: PopPop

·
Registered
382 Posts
The weaker one as you call it is the tail light. The larger brighter one is the brake light. If it is stuck on, it is because the brake switch is on.
Actually, it is possible for the brake light to be on without anything being wrong with the brake switch. If the brake light filament breaks near its positive connection and then falls across the (always on) running light filament, it could shunt part of the running light current across the broken filament to ground, resulting in an always-on (and much brighter) brake light filament. see the crude drawing:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Actually, it is possible for the brake light to be on without anything being wrong with the brake switch. If the brake light filament breaks near its positive connection and then falls across the (always on) running light filament, it could shunt part of the running light current across the broken filament to ground, resulting in an always-on (and much brighter) brake light filament. see the crude drawing:

got it
butch erny
45 year master electrician:wayhappy::biglaugh::electrocute:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.