Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone new to the site been looking but haven't found an answer to my questions. What I want to do is upgrade the headlights in my 02 Suzuki Volusia 800, I have found some HID kits on ebay that use one bulb, a few led kits ext. What I want is a much brighter headlight than stock. The prob with the HID is I'm afraid the heat of the bulb will damage the projector, is there a projector kit that will house a better lighting system like on new bikes?? the concern with LED is they wont project as well side to side, my experience with led is there more focused on one area rather than the flood needed for a headlight. Also I need to change turn signals as well, the right side turn signal rubber bushing got weak and ripped, I would assume from a combination of vibration and heat from the exhaust. Im running cobra drag pipes with big city thunder baffles which sounds amazing and have no plans to go back to stock. I will need a 1 piece turn signal that does not have the rubber or plastic bushing, one that also looks good to, i was thinking LED on the turn signals. Let me know if your guys and gals have put something on your bike similar to what im looking for on headlights and turn signals. Thanks

John

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
For the headlight..... Before you get all fancy with super-duper bright light bulbs, try adjusting the aim of your headlamp first.....

From the factory, the projector aim is stupid low. At 25 feet, the bottom of your beam should be 30" off the ground. Every bike I've owned has been somewhere in the neighborhood of 16". Put a chock under your kickstand to hold it vertical, then use the adjuster screws in the headlight bucket to raise the aim. You'll be amazed by how much better the stock headlamp works when it is aimed out, instead of just at the front fender.

Past that, you can go to a slightly brighter halogen or even a Xenon bulb for not a lot of money. I run the Xtra-Vision H4 in my Vulcan and it produces more than enough light.

As for the turn signal, the sky is the limit. Open your favourite MC parts catalogue and have at it. Just keep in mind that converting from incandescent to LED will require additional control modules. And while LEDs are impervious to vibration, the housing around them are not....

·
Registered
439 Posts
I had the same problem with my stock headlight. I put a Sylvania silverstar ultra in it for about $25.
Much brighter!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skrapiron has some really good ideas so far. I think I want to try a diamond white HID bulb with LED bulbs in the lightbar, im picturing that looking good, may do LED turns as well but I have yet to find a quality LED turn signal design I like. I was tempted to buy a C90 or yamaha roadstar this year but by this season I will have the volusia set up the way I want it. All I have or will do is, grey leather touring seat custom stitched by a guy in Florida, cobra slash cut drag pipes with big city thunder baffles, jetted with K&N air filter in original air box, HID headlight possible LED in light bar as well as turn signals. I will see if I have the room to hide 4-7 equalizers to run the leds as well as HID headlight. We will see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just ordered a HID headlight kit (White), Angel Eye light bar lights (27 LED + COB SMD), 4 new turn signals (regular bulb diff design). It will be a few weeks before its all in, will post pics and explain the process for those who are interested. After all that is installed the bike is off to the bike shop for jetting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts