Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read the tread for adjusting the headlight frr the 800 c50. sounds easy. Which screw is for horizontal adjustment, and which is for side to side? Thanks Ride safe. little al

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
I bought my C50T new in 2012 and night riding was out of the question because I just didn't have enough light to see anything. A quick look while sitting in the driveway indicated the the headlight was aimed toward the ground with the beam center hitting about 25' in front of the bike.

It only took about 15 minutes to make the necessary adjustment and I found my low beams were allowing me to see much farther down the road than my high beams allowed before the adjustment.

Looks like neither the factory or the dealer cared enough to do the right thing and I found this is more the rule than the exception.

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
I found my headlight to be aimed low from new, as well. I cranked it "up", and the difference it made was overwhelming!

Problem is, is that now, after 2 years like that, I finally got 3 cars flashing their high beams at me on the highway last weekend.

Maybe a tad too high? Going to have to look into lowering them slightly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I agree the dealer should have done this before I rode off with my new bike:) Some other things also. That is why I like to wrench my own bike when I can. I need to raise the light just a little and I should be fine.. Still checking things out and going over the owner's manual. Thinking of getting a shop manual for the future. Ride safe all. little al.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I found my headlight to be aimed low from new, as well. I cranked it "up", and the difference it made was overwhelming!

Problem is, is that now, after 2 years like that, I finally got 3 cars flashing their high beams at me on the highway last weekend.

Maybe a tad too high? Going to have to look into lowering them slightly.
It means they saw you - I run with high beams and my Christmas list ths year is the Daymaker from HD.

Reactions: 10-64

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Thanks for the info. I agree the dealer should have done this before I rode off with my new bike:) Some other things also. That is why I like to wrench my own bike when I can. I need to raise the light just a little and I should be fine.. Still checking things out and going over the owner's manual. Thinking of getting a shop manual for the future. Ride safe all. little al.
I believe that factory setting is to aim at a spot 30' in front of you so they may have set it to factory specs. I raised the angle on my C50 and the Street Glide too. Set it at a spot 3' up on a wall at 20' away.

Reactions: PapaBean

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok! Just adjusted the light. The screw on the rightside facing the headligt is the up/down adjuster. Picked a spot on the wall Measued the center of the headlight height, marked a line on the wall 2" lower than the center of light measurement. The light is 17' from the wall. The flat of the light is on the top of the line. Will test at night, Found the procedure online. I will let you know what I find out. Ride safe all. little al.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ok! Just adjusted the light. The screw on the rightside facing the headligt is the up/down adjuster. Picked a spot on the wall Measued the center of the headlight height, marked a line on the wall 2" lower than the center of light measurement. The light is 17' from the wall. The flat of the light is on the top of the line. Will test at night, Found the procedure online. I will let you know what I find out. Ride safe all. little al.
That's the procedure I used (17 feet, 2" lower than center, flat top of pattern). It seems to be about right. I also have driving lights on either side of the headlight. I aimed them so that they are pointed straight ahead from their locations on either side of the headlight, so about 8 inches or so to each side of the headlight vertical center line. The center of each driving light's pattern is slightly below the horizontal tape mark used for the headlight aiming, which is 2" lower than the physical center of the headlight, but a little of the driving light pattern spills out above the tape mark. That results in the driving lights being aimed just slightly higher than the headlight. At night I can see that the driving lights illuminate the road a little farther ahead of the headlight, and they illuminate the shoulders of the road very well. Their main purpose, of course, is to make me more visible to car drivers day or night, and they do that very well when aimed as I described. I don't get brights flashed at me very often (perhaps one car in 500), so they must be OK that way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Results of the headlight adjustment.

Finally rode the bike at night. The headlight is perfect now. Lets me see far enough ahead on the low beam so I don't overdrive the light. High beam shines way ahead where it should. This is a nice bright light. Success.. What a difference.. Thanks for all the replies. It is good to be part of a group that helps each other.. :)
Ride safe all. little al.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks.. I was thinking of getting the light bar... I had one on my Kawasaki. I used an auto relay to wire it in on a 10 amp fused accessory circuit that was provided with the bike. It did help.... Ride safe. little al.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.