Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone? my bikes leaking antifreeze from the front headgasket. has anyone had this fixed? or fixed it themselves. looks like I'm going to have to pull the motor for sure and do it. not terribly pleased with my findings but at this point I'd rather pay someone to do it but probably can't afford to pay someone to do it. I think I've simply had a cylinder head bolt come loose.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Is it coming from the lower part of the jug or the upper part of the jug?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
upper right under the head.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also my bike has almost 24,000 miles on it is this common? anything else I should do other then checking valves and adjusting the clutch

·
Registered
602 Posts
I believe you probably blew a headgasket. If it was coming from up higher, than it would probably have been a hose gasket.

Reactions: EasyRider00

·
Registered
602 Posts
Do NOT touch the valves! It is more than likely the gasket. Easy fix. Don't make more trouble...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no no I just figured maybe I should look at them since I don't know when they were last done. How difficult is a headgasket change? full day thing? I'm sure theres a cam timing chain to deal with?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
unfortunately I'm sure it's the headgasket. I tightened all the clamps and checked up top but it's still leaking. it's a steady leak with nothing ending up in the oil.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It's a full day thing. You have to drop the engine. Get a service manual first before you do anything. It's a lifesaver. Try to get help if you can. Do NOT be in any hurry with this or you will have to repeat it. Not such an easy fix after all. :biglaugh: I wish you all the best of luck--I just finished mine. Let me know how you do... Contact me if you need anything else?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh boy, really not excited about this but has to be done. What all did you replace? Guess I'm doing to have to try and find out if my local dealer will have parts for me or not last time I checked they had nothing.

·
Administrator
55,766 Posts
Don't just replace the head gasket; check the head and barrel flat mating surfaces first, with a steel straight edge, and make sure they are true, or absolutely flat.

If warped, You'll waste the effort and some money.
Should You need assistance with checking the flat mating surfaces, find an automotive engine shop, or MC repair shop who actually repairs MC motors.

I'd bet they will check the surfaces for You for little outlay, or no charge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to call the local bike shop and see what they want to do the gaskets. I know they'll do it right. I've never overheated the bike so I hope nothing will be warped but if I do it I'll check them for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wears the best place to buy bike parts off the internet?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
My tendency when heads are off is to go through them completely. Clean up the ports, see what improvements are available. Check the valve condition, valve guides, etc. Get the displacement of the two chambers matching. Only takes a small amount of time and may improve performance. The car engines I blueprinted were lovely things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kinda new to the volusia forum.. I have an 2002 vl800. I got it worked on cause it was only running in one cylinder. She runs pretty fast now but while at idle, she has some white smoke coming out of the top exhaust. Does anyone have a diagram or a video on head gasket replacement?

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
There are numerous links to the Clymer service manual which you can download.

White smoke at startup is common as the engine heats and burns off built up condensation. White smoke out of a warm engine is an indicator that you are leaking coolant into the combustion chamber.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts