Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That qoute below was in a thread earlier about someones purchase of a larger CC bike.

quote]I am wondering, though, if Suzuki will regret their new 109 engines given the way fuel prices have gone[/quote]

I always wonder why folks say that??

My Road Star gets better MPG than my Vol did. Both of them have air and exhaust mods, both carb'd, and yet the Road Star gets about 4-6 mpg better than the Vol. And it outdid the Vol in stock configuration as well.

Since these are the only two motorcycles I have owned, I just have to ask this question..

Lets hear it from those who have also owned both large and smaller bikes, and some reasons why it happens that way!

I'd like to offer some great reason why it worked out the way it did for me, but I can't tell you why, it just happens to be true.

More CC's meant better MPG's, but it seems most haven't had that happen for them!

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
if you read about the other bike here on the forum like wings, nomads and such thier milage is in the mid to high 30's. my Boul easily get at least 42mpg

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Only somewhat recent bike I had was a 97 Buell S1, mileage really sucked on that thing.

I've heard other guys say they get decent range on their Yamaha 1100s.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I should have said what I have been getting. I got a best of 42 on My Vol, and a that is my worst on the Star.

I got a best of 51 MPG, on the way to Ocean City bike week last year.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Been getting a solid 44 with the Boulevard, I have been very throttle stingy lately also.

I got better living at a higher altitude 48 mpg most of the time.

I think a larger engine would work less in the moderate RPM ranges.
This is true in certain automobiles with light bodies and big motors.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Compared to the other vehicles and toys, fueling the Bouly is nothing. The mileage is great.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My 1600 classic gets 38-40 mpg ,the ninja ex500 gets about 55 mpg. Guess which one I ride to work every day now?

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Well, I am the one that said it in the other thread. My C50 gets 44 highway. I don't know what my SB gets yet. However, I cannot believe that the C109 stock will get better mileage or even the same mileage as the C50 overall.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if it got better highway mileage though. MY HD has 6 gears. That ought to reduce fuel consumption on the highway.

Still, perception is part of the battle and I bet a lot of people will think that moving up to a seriousl large engine (1600 and up) is going to mean less fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
More cc's doesn't necessarily mean worse mpg. There are a lot of factors that determine fuel mileage. Engine design, fuel system design and delivery and gearing to name a few. I rode all summer with a guy that owns a Victory and he got almost the same mpg's as me with a much larger engine.

I used to own a little 4 cyclinder Ranger and thought I was saving on gas till my cousin and I compared notes. He had the same year but his was a 6 cylinder. We got roughly the same mileage. My truck had to work hard to go down the road while his didn't. Go figure.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
funbikerchick said:
Well, I am the one that said it in the other thread. My C50 gets 44 highway. I don't know what my SB gets yet. However, I cannot believe that the C109 stock will get better mileage or even the same mileage as the C50 overall.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if it got better highway mileage though. MY HD has 6 gears. That ought to reduce fuel consumption on the highway.

Still, perception is part of the battle and I bet a lot of people will think that moving up to a seriousl large engine (1600 and up) is going to mean less fuel efficiency.
I wasn't tryiing to call ya out!

I did think it might make a good thread though!

I decided not to ruin that members post with it!

Hope you don't mind!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
You are getting WHAT on a C50 ?? So much for FI's.. huh.

Mine is an 01 Volusia... rejetted, pipes, etc. I get 53-55 mpg in town, and 55-58 mpg on the highway,.... and I'm on the throttle most of the time.. and running 70-85 on the highway.

Gee.. I'm glad I kept my carbed Vol.....

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I got 50 or better with the Vol and with the C90T on the highway.
The wing gets better than 40 but it's only got 1100 miles on it..

Doug

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've been getting 45-48 lately with the C50, down from 52-55 last fall. I'm suspicious that as oil prices have risen, our oil buddies are selling us more ethanol, which would depress the gas milage. Call me suspicious...

IMHO, fuel economy has more to do with machine efficiency, where you are in the power band, and the amount of air you're pushing, than it does on displacement.

My C50 has crash bars, tall fats windshield, and bags, which affect air resistance, and a DJ drive, which affects power band. But that said, I didn't buy a bike to save gas money. As it turns out, I'm buying 5-6 gallons of gas every nice weekend, that I didn't burn before I had the bike.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We just got a Vulcan 2000 Classic (2053 CC). It's getting close to 50 mpg. It's also a pretty sweet ride.

My bully with Cobra Pipes and a K&N filter is somewhere around 42. I had the mpg up to 52 but the performance wasn't there, so I richened it up with the FI 2000.

The Vulcan is still stock, my stock bully got close to 50 before all the mods including saddle bags & seat back.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
I get almost 50 MPG on my Volusia

My hubbie gets about 45 on his Geezer Glide which is a 96 cubic Inch

His Intruder which is now the C90 got about 30- 35 MPG....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts